Foggy goggles

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Foggy goggles

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

I knew I had poor vision so I didn't think much about the cloudy goggles recently until I realized, heck, I'm not that blind. :oops:

So, the spit in the goggle no longer works. It appears to have stopped working when I cleaned them after noticing some gunk in them. I washed with water then sprayed the normal lens cleaning solution I used on my regular glasses. Fog.

I tried the anti-fog stuff I use on my sunglasses - made for hockey visors. That failed. :roll:

I tried the goggle specific anti-fog spray today. Nothing. :roll:

I've read diluted baby shampoo works. Have yet to try that. :?:

Is it possible that after a couple of years, goggles just keep getting foggy no matter what?
Thanks

CinC
Lynn Williams

Re: Foggy goggles

Postby CinC » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

I find that yes, I've had to just replace them. for mine, it's a combo of fog factor and then they get scratches (even with storing properly) - so I just get a new pair. I also keep a fairly new pair of the same style tinted stored for racing.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Cupcake Girl wrote:I knew I had poor vision so I didn't think much about the cloudy goggles recently until I realized, heck, I'm not that blind. :oops:

So, the spit in the goggle no longer works. It appears to have stopped working when I cleaned them after noticing some gunk in them. I washed with water then sprayed the normal lens cleaning solution I used on my regular glasses. Fog.

I tried the anti-fog stuff I use on my sunglasses - made for hockey visors. That failed. :roll:

I tried the goggle specific anti-fog spray today. Nothing. :roll:

I've read diluted baby shampoo works. Have yet to try that. :?:

Is it possible that after a couple of years, goggles just keep getting foggy no matter what?
Thanks

Yes. Mine tend to last around six months before they either start to fog up or leak (granted, I am in the pool a fair bit).

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I have a pair of sable googles, I find them super swesome- yes they are that good for anti-fog. In fact I have only ever had to replace them when I lost a pair at a race a couple years ago.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:I have a pair of sable googles, I find them super swesome- yes they are that good for anti-fog. In fact I have only ever had to replace them when I lost a pair at a race a couple years ago.

yep -my first pair of sable goggles lasted almost 3 years with zero fog!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:36 pm

I have to replace my Sables every 8 months or so (in the pool 3x/week) but admittedly, still keep using the foggy ones in the pool once in awhile where I can quickly rinse them out in between interval sets. If the baby shampoo or dish soap doesn't work, then it sounds like you will need a new pair. I exclusively use spit to defog goggles and scuba masks, and it works like a charm.
Carm

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Foggy goggles

Postby Kelodie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm

I have had my Sables for a year and have had issues with fog after a few months. I have used Foggle on them recently and it works very well.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Regular dish soap works well for me. Wash, rinse thoroughly and let them air dry completely. Fog is usually from a combination of dirt and scratches.

In a pinch (and if it doesn't bug you) you can let a little bit of water into your goggles while you swim. The water will swish around inside the goggles and clear away the fog as you swim! :idea:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 pm

No fancy goggles here - just TYR ones. I was suspecting they might be done. 4x/week must create some wear and tear, including on me :lol:

Which is fine, I was kind of bored with them anyway. It's time for a new colour. I might give the baby shampoo a try, but likely I'll just pull out the new pair I bought a while ago, just in case.
Thanks!

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:50 am

Went with the new goggles this morning. Perhaps I should have remained in the fog, some unsightly stuff on the bottom of the pool. :roll:

Return to “The Dark Side”