Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
IronColl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby IronColl » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:23 pm

You could summarize that with two words. The clean version being "go away".
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:05 pm

or "Cranky Mom"

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:53 pm

When I was in college, I lived in a house with 4 or 5 roommates (yes, it varied). We three girls came up with a system for when we wanted to be left alone. We made up a pin to wear that said:

"Don't F***** talk to me"
Then we made another:
"Don't f**** talk to me either."
Then another:
"Talk to me less than you talk to either of them."

There were days we all had them on!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Congrats to your friend JLA. Preemie/early term baby induction is no fun, I am glad everyone is happy and healthy!

Sleep issues must be the 'cool' thing with little ones these days. M is up every hour to two hours, which I am actually ok with (we co-sleep so it is not that big a deal- I know, I am weird). BUT, she has this thing these days where she is WIDE awake at 5am, and starts to talk 'dada-nana-gaga" and that wakes up Gavin. So, this morning I had two wide awake kids at 5am and we all headed downstairs where Gavin promptly stepped in dog vomit (gee, thanks Hudson). A rough start to our day.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 am

First post for me in ages - unfortunately running has been kind of sporadic lately. I was on a roll until we got hit with a virus that took turns working its way through DH, me and J. Now I am working on getting back into a proper training plan.

Sleeping through the night - for those that worked on it, any recommended approaches? Our little guy slept through the night on his own from about 3-4 months old, then got derailed by teething and now seems to get up out of habit.

J is crawling now - so proud of him! I wish other people didn't make these milestones so stressful - we think he is doing amazing but there are always people that make us feel like he is 'behind'. But a part of me wishes he could have held off until after Christmas - we will be staying with family in tight quarters so I am sure he will be a handful.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Andes wrote:J is crawling now - so proud of him! I wish other people didn't make these milestones so stressful - we think he is doing amazing but there are always people that make us feel like he is 'behind'. But a part of me wishes he could have held off until after Christmas - we will be staying with family in tight quarters so I am sure he will be a handful.

I sometimes find these milestones stressful, too! Try to remember your kid is on schedule for your kid. Also, not every adult is good at the same thing (I am good at math, not sports, for example) so why would every baby be the same?

John has a friend who seems to be so far ahead on everything (crawling, walking, talking) and it wasn't until I babysat him one morning that I realized John was ahead in other ways (getting dressed and undressed). John is just now starting to talk, while most kids his age are already working on sentences, we get excited about individual words. He just has other things that I take for granted because I see them every day, that other kids aren't doing yet.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 pm

Andes: Justin is barely pulling himself to standing, in the 10th percentile for weight and height and only has 2.000001 teeth. I breed slackers! :lol:

Having said that Justin has now done something neither of his siblings did: climbed out (and subsequently fell out) of his crib. Thump.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

IronColl wrote:Andes: Justin is barely pulling himself to standing, in the 10th percentile for weight and height and only has 2.000001 teeth. I breed slackers! :lol:

Having said that Justin has now done something neither of his siblings did: climbed out (and subsequently fell out) of his crib. Thump.

Zack only has 4 teeth. He's 15 mths now. Such a slacker!

Is baby Justin okay? Zack hasn't attempted that yet, but I'm sure it wont' be long.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:26 pm

IronColl wrote:Andes: Justin is barely pulling himself to standing, in the 10th percentile for weight and height and only has 2.000001 teeth. I breed slackers! :lol:

Ouch! I hope he's ok!

Neither of my kids have any curiosity about getting out of bed on their own :lol: . F is almost 27 mo old and she refuses to give up her crib. We tried turning it into a toddler bed and had a mutiny on our hands, so we caved and rebuilt the crib. Sleep is worth it! And I'm sure we'll get her out of the crib before she's too tall to sleep in there anymore...
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Justin is fine, thank you. Hopefully the goose egg won't appear before Santa pictures.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:55 pm

I didn't know going back to the crib was an option! John is mostly ok with the toddler bed...but the crib keeps him so nicely contained.

I was THAT MOM at the mall today. The one letting her kid run around the lingerie department at Sears. I figured it's in the basement, so he can't escape too badly, I always had an idea of where he was, and he wasn't being destructive, just running and laughing. Shopping with 2 kids is an exercise in futility, but hey, at least I managed to get a bra.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 pm

I wonder what shopping with three is. Insanity?

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Insanity squared.. I hate shopping with three so I online shop
IMC 2015

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 pm

IronColl wrote:I wonder what shopping with three is. Insanity?

At least yours listen?

=))

At the end of the trip, I was trying to get out of sears, and I was steering the stroller, trying to keep up with John who was ahead of me, straining against his harness.
Random shopper: Is he two?
Me: Yes, how can you tell?

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 am

Are you laughing at your story or my kids?

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 am

IronColl wrote:Are you laughing at your story or my kids?

I'm laughing at the idea that kids listen.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:59 am

I think that we've all been THAT mom. Likely on more than one occasion. I find it most frustrating only when caught by that rare mom with children who listen well. Mine are either fighting to break out of the stroller or being bribed with treats to stay still!

For the first night in I don't even know how long, both boys stayed in their own beds and slept all night. I'm considering it a Christmas miracle. Especially since experience has taught me that it could be the last time that happens for 6 months!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:18 am

I'm liking the updates here...keep it up, ladies!

Basement renos means that DH has been busy dealing with contractors while keeping up with his day job and doing other random stuff at night...last night it was putting together some shelving that he wants the guys to build in (not sure why he couldn't have asked them to do it? anyway...). That leaves me with all of the housework and toddler care. I try not to get upset about it because I know DH is working really hard and barely sleeping as it is, but being almost 30 weeks pregnant, it sucks :roll: . The house is really dusty from the reno and V is coughing a lot...last night she had a puke as a result. I had to clean her up and lie down with her after that...OUCH, lying on a twin mattress on the floor with her and my big belly, not good!

Not sure if we can do anything about the dustiness...think an air purifier will help?

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Awww, hugs to all who need them.

Home with my dude, who has croup. Or is it The Croup? Slept on his floor last night...I was so worried and he was up tons. I never have brought him into our bed but tried last night. He wasn't having it! He demanded to go back to his bed. Ha! Little cutie. Anyway, the doctor gave him some sort of steriod, which he tells me will make him have a better night tonight.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Lightning wrote:Awww, hugs to all who need them.

Home with my dude, who has croup. Or is it The Croup? Slept on his floor last night...I was so worried and he was up tons. I never have brought him into our bed but tried last night. He wasn't having it! He demanded to go back to his bed. Ha! Little cutie. Anyway, the doctor gave him some sort of steriod, which he tells me will make him have a better night tonight.

Croup is awful to listen to. We've had our first round this year too and it was so sad to see him coughing. The steroid is like magic. You should notice a big difference by tonight. Hopefully he feels better and you can get some sleep.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:18 pm

If you need to - take him outside to help calm it down...

Andes
Johnny Miles

Postby Andes » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks IronColl and FishPants - it is nice to hear from moms who have a balanced perspective. But Justin is definitely not a slacker if he is climbing out of his crib - that shows ambition :lol:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:35 am

Andes wrote:Thanks IronColl and FishPants - it is nice to hear from moms who have a balanced perspective. But Justin is definitely not a slacker if he is climbing out of his crib - that shows ambition :lol:

Since I posted about his slackerness, he has cut all 4 top teeth (that was 2 days ago) and is pulling to standing and trying to take steps. He must have a checklist before his birthday to get through!

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Happy birthday Lightning. You are an amazing mother, teacher, runner and friend. All the best to you today!

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:04 pm

IronColl wrote:Happy birthday Lightning. You are an amazing mother, teacher, runner and friend. All the best to you today!

+1 to that! And I hope that little dude is feeling better.

Return to “The Scenic Route”