Balaclava that won't suffocate? :)

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Balaclava that won't suffocate? :)

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Has anyone seen a balaclava anywhere that has coverage over the bridge of the nose, cheeks and chin, but with a hole for the nostrils and mouth? I have a RR balaclava, and I absolutely hate the feeling of coverage over the nose/mouth. I feel claustrophobic and I hate the feeling of the moisture from my breath against the inside of the balaclava.

I suppose I could cut up my RR one... hmmmm...
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Balaclava that won't suffocate? :)

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:27 pm

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:59 am

i have the old RR balaclava that had mesh over the mouth, so I just cut out the mesh part (really close to where the seams are stitched). Looks a little silly, but it's comfy, so it doesn't bother me.

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 am

You could also try looking in ski shops; I know that blaclavas with mouth openings are available...
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Avis wrote:You could also try looking in ski shops; I know that blaclavas with mouth openings are available...

I would second this suggestion. Balaclavas in general are too heavy for me, so I wear my ski ones. They are usually much thinner and more breathable. I have a couple of nice ones from Bula, and my fave is a fine knit merino wool "Buff" which is long enough that I can make a balaclava out of it.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:29 pm

I do pretty well with the ski one. Whatever that popular company is - the label rubbed off on mine - starts w an S. It's only a face/bottom half one, and I pull it down if I need too (which is if I'm way up tempo) but can re-cover my face for periods of time to warm up again.

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm

My SS gift was one of those neoprene ski ones- it's ridiculously warm, and has lots of holes in front of the mouth so it's easy to breathe through.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Lazagna
Bill Crothers

Postby Lazagna » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm

erinmcd wrote:My SS gift was one of those neoprene ski ones- it's ridiculously warm, and has lots of holes in front of the mouth so it's easy to breathe through.

That one came from MEC and that is why I chose it. It has lots of slots and would be what I would want.
Mike . . . Do what you need to do NOW, so you don't deny yourself a future opportunity.
Upcoming Races:

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 am

I also have a ski balaclava (Mountain Hardwear) with small vents for the nose and mouth. Breathing is just fine with it, and in fact the thing is so toasty that I don't use it until about -25. Above that and I just cover the forehead, cheeks, chin, and neck with two buffs and a toque.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 am

I think the company is Seirus or something FYI

http://www.seirus.com/Masque-Intro

the one i have had a part neck fleece: http://www.seirus.com/snow-sports-detail/1356

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:54 am

+1 for MEC.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:26 pm

I think I will try phorunner's suggestion of cutting the mesh out of my rr one- I really don't want anything over my mouth, even if it's mesh. I'll check ski places too to see if there is one ready-made with the opening for the nose/mouth. Thanks!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Leave the mesh on. For the most part, you can pull the nose/mouth area down till it is just under your lip. It is actually quite comfortable this way. Once the weather turns seriously bad, pull the thing up & be done with it. Just a question of getting used to it... trust me!
Mine pretty much looks like this one but badged as New Balance
http://www.campusemporium.com/nwe-balac ... elid=BCOME
Works like a charm! On the cold days, double up! Yes I do have a back-up balaclava.. but I prefer the New Era one much better
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensCloth ... unisex.jsp
When I walk the shops, I still keep the eyeballs open for another... you never know!
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 am

Haha, I look at those and my stomach just turns and twists in knots!! When you say you have to get used to it, was there ever a point at the beginning at which you were actually freaked out by having your nose/mouth covered? Irrational or not, that's where I'm at!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:20 am

QuickChick wrote:Haha, I look at those and my stomach just turns and twists in knots!! When you say you have to get used to it, was there ever a point at the beginning at which you were actually freaked out by having your nose/mouth covered? Irrational or not, that's where I'm at!

The 1st time I had it on, just could not cover the mouth & nose area. Once the thermometer dipped below -10 & whatever the windchill factor (while riding the bike) was, covering the mouth & nose area became natural...
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Hey QuickChick,

What about the Beardo Hat ?? :shock: :lol: :wink: http://www.beardowear.ca/

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Return to “Gearing Up”