In defence of Ultra Running.Please chime in

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

In defence of Ultra Running.Please chime in

Postby c_mcpeake » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm

So been a lot of dissing of Ultras lately please take the time to take a read of my blog and dont be shy on commenting.

http://chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/2012/03 ... ogant.html
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m
coaching site: http://www.candcrunningfactory.com/
personal blog: http://www.chrismcpeake.blogspot.ca/

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Re: In defence of Ultra Running.Please chime in

Postby cbaker1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Great blog.

I got into running in 2002 to stay in shape. Signing up for some short distance races, getting the T-shirt and the fun chatting with people and getting a recorded time was fun. I did improve and lost weight. By 2005 I could place in my age group at smaller races. I was meeting my goal of being more active and having fun.

A year later, in 2003, I tackled my first marathon, training with the Running Room. Met people in 2003 that I still chat with and sometimes run with to this day.

Somewhere along the way, I got sucked into the faster is better frame of mind. 3-4 years ago, probaly 6-7 years into running / racing I decided not to persue my initial goal of getting to Boston. I was always getting injured and I was getting away from my focus of running as a form of exercise and to stay in shape. Thats when I found Ultras and the fun they were. I could run more, have a lot of fun and was able to stay in good shape and was running with less injury.

I know and accept there are many people that are better than me, simply because they are faster than me. They stick to themselves and talk about qualifying for New York or Boston. Good for them. I run to get the Bling and have 80-90 medals on my walls in the back room. Its kind of like when my mom travelled she collected the spoons and hung them on a spoon rack. Is that bad for racing, that I like collecting momentos along the way?

A couple of points to the elites or elite wanna be's at the marathon distance ...
-When the first marathon was run in Greece, which was really longer than 26.2 miles, I assume that was done on pavement? If not, shouldn't all races be run on dirt?
- If 50k or 100 miles is not running but a form of hiking, walking running whatever, what makes the 26.2 miles the "right" distance? Its kind of like basketball, hockey, baseball and football. Games made up over the years with silly rules. Are football players really athletes since they take a break after a 5 -10 second play? (I love watching football!)
- If I didnt pay to run in the marthon, how would races raise the prize money to pay to the winners. The race would cost you $1,000 to enter for you.

In the end, we all have different reasons to run. I love my medal collection and the memories of traveling and meeting new people and staying in shape. I run a lot, at a slower pace, but havent been injured for a few years (where I was forced to take 2 months off)
The elite or wanna be is happy with the Boston medal or their podium placement. But in the end, they are all individual goals and no one really cares about the next person. We are happy or share in their disappoint for an instant, but then go back to our own world and goals. I am sure people see my wall of medals and wonder where by Boston Marathon medal is. Without it, my collection probably means nothing to them.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 pm

Boston has a race?
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:57 pm

Dunno about everyone else but I love reading the race reports the ultra runners post on RM. It's not something I want to do, I am happy with what I am doing (or trying to do), but stuff like the R2R2R just blow my mind. Great stuff.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 am

Chainsaw Baby,
Boston has a race. Its the last wekend of July and is a 24 hour race around a 1 mile paved loop. I am thinking of doing it one of these years. They also have one in April I think, but its point to point, thousands of people and its really expensive to get into.

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:51 am

Chainsaw baby - yes it does and apparently saying anything negative about it even to provoke is something equal to spitting on the pope or beating up children.

I should have known that when you shake a tree lots of nuts are going to fall on your head.

cbaker - thanks for posting your thoughts great response.

mas_runner - yes its not for everyone. You might change your mind one day or maybe not either way you should enjoy your running. Lots of good runners here both trail and road, with lots of great running stories and race reports.
2014 races (this year)
June 22 Mohican 100m, July 5 Creemore 50k, July 12 Limberlost 56k, Aug 8 Dirty Girls 48hr, Sept 6 Haliburton 100, Oct 11 Oil Creek 100m

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks for this Chris! Blogger Dan cleary has never actually seen an ultra, as emphasized by his comment: "These events don't really emphasize running at all". Huh? Anyone who clocks a sub-20-hour 100 miler (especially on a mountainous/technical trail) is doing very little walking, and is only stopping to grab food or pee. And sure there are plenty of people who incorporate walking into a 100 mile race -- especially to nagivate a hill that's faster to walk up than to run. But I've seen people stop and walk in a (flat) 5 km race too! (but I guess Dan wouldn't consider those people real runners either)
I totally understand that ultrarunning isn't for everyone, but I really don't understand the hostility towards it. And I've certainly never witnessed the "ego" that Dan refers to in his blog (which again confirms that he's never actually been to an ultra event). I for one am quite relieved that he won't be joining us on the trails anytime soon!

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Okay WGR... What is it?

April 14: SW
April 28: PYP 25K
May ? Arthroscopic surgery (torn cartilage)
May 26 Sulphurous 2K - 25K
June 23 NOTL 21K or 50K
July 14 TLC 28K
Aug 11 DG 72 hour (a slow 6 hour)
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Chainsaw Baby wrote:Okay WGR... What is it?

oh good...I thought maybe I was the only one who didn't get it! :?

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Its a Giant Chime :wink: :wink:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I thought it was a gallows
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 am

HA, I thought it was the gallows as well.
2014 races (this year)

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:27 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone's speed, distance or fitness goals.

Is there really an issue currently with long distance runners looking down on longer distance runners, or vice-versa? Really?

I haven't experienced anything other than encouragement from those who run a K at a time, those who run 100 Miles at a time, those who are quicker than me or those who are slower than me.
Last edited by Double Bellybuster on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I commented on the other thread but will again here too...I think that it's crazy that any runner critcize any runner but it happens all the time. I feel those vibes quite often. I love reading your blog and about your ultra adventures...I live vicariously through you. Having said that, I've dabbled with the trail running and absolutely love it. I've signed up for the first three 5 Peaks events this year (did two last year) and am enjoying getting the hang of it. Not sure there's ever going to be an ultra in my future but would love if there was, just don't think I have it in me.... so until then, I'll keep reading about your adventures :)

hezzy
Tom Longboat

Postby hezzy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

I just wanted to say that Dan's blog post, and follow up post, both made me angry. But I doubt any comment I would have for him would make any difference. So I'll just continue with my ultra "running", and hope that he never shows up at an ultra race. I don't want him messing with my zen on the trails :D

What I would like to see, however, is him having a face to face conversation with anyone who has finished an ultra distance, and say it to his/her face that what he or she is doing out there is not running. It's easy to hide behind a blog, or a forum. I would love to challenge him to come out and spectate at a race, and then walk up to someone who has just finished a 100 miler (or any ultra distance for that matter), and say "you are not a runner". I don't think he could.
2015 - the year of the 100 miler

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Double Bellybuster - unfortunately there is although its not most runners its a sometimes loud group with elitist attitudes. I see a fair deal of it mainly because I am active in both the trail and road community. By the way they dont just look down on Ultra Runners they also look down on slow (by their definition) and casual runners especially when it comes to participating in races.

Robinanddamelia - thanks for the comments in both sections and thanks for taking the time to read my blog. 5peaks is a great series you will have a lot of fun. Maybe you will run and ultra maybe not I think people should just let their running take them where its going. My wife thought she would never race a 10k and she has now done 3 marathons and will run her first 50k this summer. Just remember its all about the fun.

Hezzy - Dont worry I made about 1000 marathon runners at RW angry with my blog. I actually know Dan so I do talk to him in person. I disagree with him big time but he has a right to his view and I have a right to criticize it. He is actually an okay guy and a very good runner but he is still young with that youthful swagger. Believe me he is getting a lot of grief from other road runners as well as trail people. Thing is he is not the only one that thinks this way. I didnt read the second blog as I thought my head might explode. I am hoping that my blog made its point at least to some.
2014 races (this year)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 pm

This seems like a good place to mention zombie runners.

Last summer I was in a 3 day endurance run. I watched a guy cover 311 miles in the 72 hours. Thats: at 9000 ft elevation (well he lived there), up 234 ft, down 234 ft, around, repeat 311 times. He only took cat naps and he was indeed "running" (well he walked up the 20% hill). After watching him I came away amazed. But there were other slower guys who basically kept going for 6 days. It was my privilege to chat a bit with these amazing people.

I went off to the hotel at night so don't think I am like these other guys.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Mega Mo
Johnny Miles

Postby Mega Mo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Sooooo.... If an ultra is a fad and the particpants aren't really runners... then someone who does Kona is not really a triathlete, right? The people who do sprint distance or olympic distance are the true triathletes then? You know, because the pace is faster? No? Now that I think about it, I've always thought golfers weren't really atheltes, now I know I'm right. The real atheletes are the mini-putters, you know, because of the pace.

Great blog Chris. You know when you're blogging, you're not training right? Get ready for Leadville you lazy ****, we're at least going to run when we see or smell aid stations!
2015 Events:
Pick Your Poison 50km
Sulpher Springs 50 mile
North Face Blue Mountain 50 mile
Creemore Verticle Challenge 75km
Wasatch Front 100 Mile
Tour du Massif 50km
Somethin' else...
http://stupid-running.blogspot.com/

c_mcpeake
Johnny Miles

Postby c_mcpeake » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:38 am

Its a recovery week for me. I am amazed at how much time and trouble I can get in when not running 150k during the week.
2014 races (this year)

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 pm

c_mcpeake wrote:Double Bellybuster - unfortunately there is although its not most runners its a sometimes loud group with elitist attitudes. I see a fair deal of it mainly because I am active in both the trail and road community. By the way they dont just look down on Ultra Runners they also look down on slow (by their definition) and casual runners especially when it comes to participating in races.

Thanks Chris. I guess I was thinking of face-to-face interaction I've had only. While I previously read your blog post, I've now gone back and read the linked posts as well. Don Way's post is quite a derrogatory piece indeed. When you see him at your group runs perhaps you can mess him up like he messes up use of the apostrophe. I see exactly what prompted your post, his views suck.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Yesterday evening I ran 10 miles. Then today, I put 25 miles of ultra pace on top. I can easily see how someone would look at me and, "Thats walking. anybody can do that." And I'd have to agree. As I thought about this thread while I was "walking" today, I realized that no matter what anyone says, if I want to go in a race just to finish thats my business. If it makes me happy to finish a 50 mile run in 12 hours, so what?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”