Another Marathon...opinons...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

I'm thinking of running another marathon...I trained so hard for Boston and didn't really get to try it out. It was essentially a really long gruelling long run but not a race.... I'm thinking of Mississauga or Good life which are both on May 6....18 days a way....my quads are a little sore still from Boston, I'm assuming because of the downhills. During the race (Boston) none of the normal marathon things happen (i.e. leg fatigue, hitting the wall etc) I guess because I was going slower...

What's everyones thoughts on this? Good idea, bad? I would be trying to run for a PB and trying to figure out if the run in Boston would have compromised that or not...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:38 am

You have a lot of experience and I think this is a great idea. :) Just wait and see how you feel in the next week or so to decide for sure.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Another Marathon...opinons...

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:46 am

Ottawa isn't such a bad idea either, givng you a bit of extra recovery ... :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:49 am

With your experience and fitness level, I think it's a great idea.

Boston will end up being one of your coolest training runs ever, leading up to a PB! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:52 am

Irongirl wrote:With your experience and fitness level, I think it's a great idea.

Boston will end up being one of your Hottest training runs ever, leading up to a PB! :)

Fixed that for ya ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:53 am

Robin.

I think Goodlife/Mississauga might be too soon, BUT what about the Whitby marathon? (long weekend in May I believe), or Ottawa? I'm doing the Niagara Women's Half in the first weekend in June.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 am

I have the women's Half on May 27 so can't do Ottawa, plus quite frankly....I'm a little "heat shy" right now after Boston....looking for cooler...the thought of another hot one scares the pants off me today. I dont' want to have to do too much more training though so want to leverage the distance from Boston....

I don't want to get out there and have a tough go of it so really struggling with the decision...

loving the feedback though :D

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:56 am

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:With your experience and fitness level, I think it's a great idea.

Boston will end up being one of your Hottest training runs ever, leading up to a PB! :)

This made me laugh out loud!!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 am

HCcD wrote:

ha. true.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:59 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I have the women's Half on May 27 so can't do Ottawa, plus quite frankly....I'm a little "heat shy" right now after Boston....looking for cooler...the thought of another hot one scares the pants off me today. I dont' want to have to do too much more training though so want to leverage the distance from Boston....

I don't want to get out there and have a tough go of it so really struggling with the decision...

Why not take the advantage of your current fitness and base, and use it to hammer out a smokin' 1/2 PB ... give yourself a week or two to rest and recover and hydrate, then a bit of focus on some speed work and threshold efforts for the women's Half ... :what: :what:

fyi ... The long-term forecast for May 6th weekend in Toronto is currently sitting at 19C ... :shifty: :wink: http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/toront ... 488?day=18
Last edited by HCcD on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:08 am

Why live in what ifs... do it!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:12 am

Robinandamelia wrote:I have the women's Half on May 27 so can't do Ottawa, plus quite frankly....I'm a little "heat shy" right now after Boston....looking for cooler...the thought of another hot one scares the pants off me today. I dont' want to have to do too much more training though so want to leverage the distance from Boston....

Most of the Boston runners I chatted with last night were pondering the same thing - they all want a "re-do." The thing you have to consider is not just whether your legs have recovered, but has your u]entire body[/u] recovered from the effort of running in the heat. If you pay attention to your body and take care and allow yourself to fully recover (read: don't go out and do another long run between now and then), then go for it!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

I have used Hal Higdon's guidelines, in preparation for my multiple marathons, in the past ... Take a look ... :wink:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51153/Marathon-Multiple-Marathons-Training-Program

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:10 am

You should try to get ian's attention with this... A few years back he seemed to be running marathons every few weeks with great success.

Good luck!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 am

dgrant wrote:You should try to get ian's attention with this... A few years back he seemed to be running marathons every few weeks with great success.

My ears are burning...

Absolutely, your 42K "training run" in Boston will allow you to return to racing shape as soon as you finish recovering. The one caution I would have is to avoid a "PB or nothing" attitude which can quickly take the fun out of everything. Racing lots means having more good races and more bad races. You might indeed have a great race in three weeks, but if you're not mentally ready for an unexpected roadblock, it may be better to spend the summer focusing on shorter stuff and then rebuild for fall.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am

ian wrote:
dgrant wrote:You should try to get ian's attention with this... A few years back he seemed to be running marathons every few weeks with great success.

My ears are burning...

Absolutely, your 42K "training run" in Boston will allow you to return to racing shape as soon as you finish recovering. The one caution I would have is to avoid a "PB or nothing" attitude which can quickly take the fun out of everything. Racing lots means having more good races and more bad races. You might indeed have a great race in three weeks, but if you're not mentally ready for an unexpected roadblock, it may be better to spend the summer focusing on shorter stuff and then rebuild for fall.

Great advice...thank you. You are right absolutely...and after Monday I for one should know about the kind of road blocks that can pop up :D

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:05 am

I was in the same situation as you in February. I did a marathon in Florida on the hottest Feb. 19 in Fort Lauderdale history. Awesome. :lol:

I immediately wanted a Mulligan. The body, on the otherhand, once I tried to run a week later, said no way. Even the brain said find something else to do. Two weeks later, same thing. My runs were pathetic dead man shuffles because the brain and body were both rebelling.

Give it a bit more time. You may find having to go for another long run is just what the mind and body don't want to do right now. But heck, I could be wrong. Double Bellybuster was in the same boat as me and he's doing TO.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:19 am

Cupcake Girl wrote:I was in the same situation as you in February. I did a marathon in Florida on the hottest Feb. 19 in Fort Lauderdale history. Awesome. :lol:

I immediately wanted a Mulligan. The body, on the otherhand, once I tried to run a week later, said no way. Even the brain said find something else to do. Two weeks later, same thing. My runs were pathetic dead man shuffles because the brain and body were both rebelling.

Give it a bit more time. You may find having to go for another long run is just what the mind and body don't want to do right now. But heck, I could be wrong. Double Bellybuster was in the same boat as me and he's doing TO.

THIS.

I was in exactly the same situation after the Manitoba Marathon 2005, temperatures over 30, good run to 30k then slow shuffle to the finish.

I figured I had all the hay in the barn, let's take advantage of the training and run a killer marathon right away. After a week off, a few "tuneup" runs which went very badly convinced me I wasn't ready to go out there and attack another marathon.

I think you should absolutely plan another marathon, but also don't be surprised if something rebels.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:27 am

Robinandamelia wrote:
ian wrote:

My ears are burning...

Great advice...thank you. You are right absolutely...and after Monday I for one should know about the kind of road blocks that can pop up :D

I have been running back-to-back marathons with 2-3-4-5 weeks apart, on a regular basis, and this year will be no different with Ottawa only 3 weeks after Vancouver, and in the Fall, NYC about 6 weeks after Montreal ... As noted above, the key is to either plan this in advance, and/or having taken the first one easy, so to allow your body, mind and spirit to recover quickly as possible, minimizing the residual effect of the first marathon ...

Realize that there is nothing much that you can really do from now to May 6th, other than relax and recover, as far as training is concerned, but, there are a lot of things that you can do from now to May 6th, to scr@w things up, if you attempt to go too hard or too long before you have recovered ....

You would definitely be eligible to be qualify to become one of the official Marathon Maniacs group ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:44 am

I'd wait. Focus on the half in a month and kill it.

Right now it's recovery, recovery, recovery

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 am

I think it is doable, but done cautiously. I would hate to see you wanting a do-over, for your do-over. Have you ever done a 42.2km training run? Give yourself a week recovery, run a reverse taper, add in some speed to sharpen the legs - then see how you are feeling. If fresh and raring to go then, then do it, if not then you'll be ready to tear up the 1/2 on the 27th.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Strider wrote:I think it is doable, but done cautiously. I would hate to see you wanting a do-over, for your do-over. Have you ever done a 42.2km training run? Give yourself a week recovery, run a reverse taper, add in some speed to sharpen the legs - then see how you are feeling. If fresh and raring to go then, then do it, if not then you'll be ready to tear up the 1/2 on the 27th.

Leaning towards this strategy.... thanks everyone for the input! Still on the fence but will play it by ear....

Loving all the advice though...awesome!

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
Strider wrote:I think it is doable, but done cautiously. I would hate to see you wanting a do-over, for your do-over. Have you ever done a 42.2km training run? Give yourself a week recovery, run a reverse taper, add in some speed to sharpen the legs - then see how you are feeling. If fresh and raring to go then, then do it, if not then you'll be ready to tear up the 1/2 on the 27th.

Leaning towards this strategy.... thanks everyone for the input! Still on the fence but will play it by ear....

Loving all the advice though...awesome!

FWIW, I would lean towards this strategy as well.

Last year I ran the Scotiabank Marathon as a training run three weeks before the New York Marathon. Of course we had nowhere near the weather you had in Boston, but it was a similar experience for me to what you described as "During the race (Boston) none of the normal marathon things happen (i.e. leg fatigue, hitting the wall etc) ..."
And I ended up having quite a good marathon in New York. Bonked around 35 km but am pretty sure that was nutrition-related as opposed to fatigue (I have had the total fatigue thing and this was different). I managed to get some calories into me (should have had more) and finished strong, had minimal trouble recovering later.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm

I know how you feel in the sense that you didn't really get to race the race you trained for. Not that I've had the chance to run Boston but a few years ago I trained really hard to PB in the marathon at Scotiabank. For unknown reasons my stomach REALLY acted up (as in vomiting from 21K to finish) and I finished well over an hour over my projected finish. But as such, my legs really didn't take the beating they were prepared for. I was ticked at my body and felt I still had some good racing left in me so went on to just (almost) PB in the 1/2 in two weeks time and two 10K's back to back weekends after that. Good luck if you decide to do another marathon! If I were you, I would!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:35 pm

It can be done but the real question would be why. You can run a marathon in three weeks by recovering rather than running between now and then but it may be hard and perhaps disappointing if you want to truly race it. Ottawa in six weeks gives you more a shot at racing it but I understand you can't do. I would also say although Ottawa has been ocassionally been hot, I can't remember Boston hot and with the 7am start provides at least a couple of hours of cool running even on the hot days. Think you are better to look at a June (Calgary??) or July (San Francisco) marathon. In my mind, a little more time is always good unless you are goal is to be Andy. And there is nothing wrong with that.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Return to “General Running Discussion”