Books for Beginning Triers

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Books for Beginning Triers

Postby JoaniB » Wed May 02, 2012 10:26 am

I stopped at the library and picked up Starting Triathlon by Mark Barfield, Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steve Jonas, and The Woman Triathlete by Christina Gandolfo.

For trying to read about how to start triathloning (including 'yes, you too can do this' and 'you don't have to quit your job to do this'), they're pretty good. The second one seems like a good read for people who want to do this as an amateur pursuit.

Are there any suggested readings for a beginner who may need a bit of hand-holding, encouragement, and maybe a pail of oats being shaken?

Thanks!
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Re: Books for Beginning Triers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed May 02, 2012 12:09 pm

http://beginnertriathlete.com/ - read everything; most is very useful and they're generally very encouraging on the forum.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/ - not for the faint of heart (especially the forum), and only when you've truly digested everything there is to learn on the first site.

I've never read a triathlon book; virtually everything I've learned about triathlon has come from my own experience and these two sites.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed May 02, 2012 12:19 pm

ditto what Mark said.

Plus reading posts on this forum!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed May 02, 2012 12:56 pm

I joined a local tri club, which is super friendly to newbie and recreational triathletes. Do you have anything similar where you live? I learned more through others than in any of the books that I read about triathlon. Forums are good but even better if you meet some of the people in-person. :)
Carm

Cupcake Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Cupcake Girl » Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm

I've learned by reading forums but mostly by doing, which means some successes and some real bad failures :oops: .

Having said that, I read The Woman Triathlete by Christina Gandolfo last year (second tri season). I also ended up using the Olympic training program, with some modifications. I hit all of my race goals. :D

I'm currently using the book's HIM program. We'll see how that pans out. :roll:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 pm

I was also a "learn by doing" and asking a heck of a lot of questions method.

I did have Eric Harr's book: http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Trainin ... 1579547486 but my old boss borrowed it, and I forgot to get it back from him when I left my job.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Wed May 02, 2012 10:45 pm

One of the bigger questions on my mind regarding the kind of training that professionals do, is the unusually large quantity of cycling, even if they're only training for Olympic distance events :what:

I mean, even Mark suggested to me that 4 quality workouts a week is a good cycling program.....The thing thats on my mind, has been that if I can accomplish this with a mere 80-90 miles / wk, am I missing out on even more potential gains because I didn't do 200 + miles / wk ?
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Thu May 03, 2012 7:22 am

jamix wrote:I mean, even Mark suggested to me that 4 quality workouts a week is a good cycling program.....The thing thats on my mind, has been that if I can accomplish this with a mere 80-90 miles / wk, am I missing out on even more potential gains because I didn't do 200 + miles / wk ?

Yes, but with the law of diminishing returns. More is more (except for the less is more people!)

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

jamix wrote:One of the bigger questions on my mind regarding the kind of training that professionals do, is the unusually large quantity of cycling, even if they're only training for Olympic distance events :what:

I mean, even Mark suggested to me that 4 quality workouts a week is a good cycling program.....The thing thats on my mind, has been that if I can accomplish this with a mere 80-90 miles / wk, am I missing out on even more potential gains because I didn't do 200 + miles / wk ?

Listen to Mark.

I was out cycling with one of the top cat 2 riders in Alberta last week. I casually mentioned a buddy of mine who was in the middle of a some big mileage cycling weeks on Maui. All he says to me: "Sounds like a good way to get slow".

Besides, as a triathlete you still need time to swim and run...
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 pm

RobAllen wrote:
jamix wrote:I mean, even Mark suggested to me that 4 quality workouts a week is a good cycling program.....The thing thats on my mind, has been that if I can accomplish this with a mere 80-90 miles / wk, am I missing out on even more potential gains because I didn't do 200 + miles / wk ?

Yes, but with the law of diminishing returns. More is more (except for the less is more people!)

Well I'm not really a "less is more" person, but I never liked the "diminishing return" idea either. It suggests one can always do even more cycling and that amount will always be at least as good as any lesser amount.....As everyone breaks down at some level of workload, this idea makes no sense.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Fri May 04, 2012 8:44 am

jamix wrote:As everyone breaks down at some level of workload, this idea makes no sense.

While true, very few people are at a workload level to garner negative returns, certainly not doubling your mileage from 90 to 190 miles. My point was you would not gain double the fitness by doubling your mileage.

Back to original topic. Try "Going Long" by Joe Friel, the book is intended for the longer distance triathlon but has great information on nutrition etc. that can be used for all distances.

Return to “The Dark Side”