Salads

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Size5
Lynn Williams

Salads

Postby Size5 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 am

I need to shake things up for my lunch. I usually always take cold food to eat because lunch sometimes is done standing. The last few days I took a salad with some leftover cooked chicken. It was pretty good. I know some of you love to have salads at lunch. What do you usually out in yours? I don't want something loaded with fat and again, I'm allergic to nuts.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Salads

Postby carm » Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 am

A garden salad isn't filling enough to get me through the day, particularly if I have a workout planned right after work (before dinner). I usually add grilled chicken, grilled salmon, 2 hard-boiled eggs, feta or goat cheese for protein and that works well. Vegan friends have been known to add tempeh or marinated tofu too.

eta. There are virtually no calories in a garden salad so personally, I think that you can get away with adding a bit of fat, especially if it's the healthy kind. If you make your own salad dressing, you can cut down the fat even further.
Carm

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu May 24, 2012 9:10 am

What about quinoa salad? you can eat it cold and it's very filling. Plus it's super versatile.

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/03/21/q ... ta-apples/
this gives you a basic idea - the nice thing is quinoa salads are easy to adjust. You could use grapes instead of the apples or anything you like really. And the dressing in that is very similar to a dressing I make - only I use balsamic vinegar (because I like the taste) and a bit of mustard to help emulsify it. No curry. Super yummy.

mmm this looks yummy!
http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/05/22/o ... eta-lemon/

I personally like spinach salad instead of lettuce.

Also some things to add (not all at once!):
shrimp
feta cheese
regular cheese (mozz, cheddar)
cranraisins
eggs
sunflower seeds
carrots
diced cooked beets
raisins (or any dried fruit)
thinly sliced steak
croutons

eta:

Salmon! If I'm making salmon I'll cook extra and have it in a salad. But I like cold salmon; others may not. :shifty:
chopped/diced snow peas.
Last edited by Samantha on Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 am

I make Asian cole slaw by buying a bag of sheredded cabbage and shredded carrots and/or broccoli. Then I make a dressing using soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, and whatever other Asian spices you like (not sure if you can use sesame oil, which is one of my fave seasonings). I'll also add green onions, cooked chicken, bean sprouts, red pepper, mango, or anything else I have on hand. I like cilantro, but not sure if you are a lover or a hater. :lol: Last weekend I made this with rice noodles rather than the cabbage mix. Mine had peanut butter, but you can leave that out.

ETA: the thing I like about this salad is that it lasts and stays crunchy for several days, even with the dressing on it.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am

Can you eat seeds?
I like spinach or spring mix for salad. Throw In:

Dried fruit, cranberry, raisins, dates, apricots
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Sesame seeds
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

LilyRun
Percy Williams

Postby LilyRun » Thu May 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I love potato salad but I hate mayo so I use plain yogurt instead (you pick the amount of fat you want). For more flavour I will put in radishes, dill pickle, carrots and whatever spices I feel like. You can add boiled egg for some extra protein and I've even put in roasted chicken if there is some hanging around the fridge.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:50 pm

LilyRun wrote:I love potato salad but I hate mayo so I use plain yogurt instead (you pick the amount of fat you want). For more flavour I will put in radishes, dill pickle, carrots and whatever spices I feel like. You can add boiled egg for some extra protein and I've even put in roasted chicken if there is some hanging around the fridge.

Mmmmm this sounds good!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 pm

La wrote:I make Asian cole slaw by buying a bag of sheredded cabbage and shredded carrots and/or broccoli. Then I make a dressing using soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, and whatever other Asian spices you like (not sure if you can use sesame oil, which is one of my fave seasonings). I'll also add green onions, cooked chicken, bean sprouts, red pepper, mango, or anything else I have on hand. I like cilantro, but not sure if you are a lover or a hater. :lol: Last weekend I made this with rice noodles rather than the cabbage mix. Mine had peanut butter, but you can leave that out.

ETA: the thing I like about this salad is that it lasts and stays crunchy for several days, even with the dressing on it.

I always wondered what kind of salad you were eating! So do you make more than a days worth at once?
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Size5 wrote:
La wrote:I make Asian cole slaw by buying a bag of sheredded cabbage and shredded carrots and/or broccoli. Then I make a dressing using soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, ginger, and whatever other Asian spices you like (not sure if you can use sesame oil, which is one of my fave seasonings). I'll also add green onions, cooked chicken, bean sprouts, red pepper, mango, or anything else I have on hand. I like cilantro, but not sure if you are a lover or a hater. :lol: Last weekend I made this with rice noodles rather than the cabbage mix. Mine had peanut butter, but you can leave that out.

I always wondered what kind of salad you were eating! So do you make more than a days worth at once?

Actually, I usually just eat plain old salad that I make each day (mixed lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, leftover chicken) and bring my salad dressing from home in a little baggie. But for this particular salad I could make 2-3 days worth at once.

Oh, I forgot in the dressing above I'll also put lime zest and lime juice.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm

My current fave is the following:

Baby spinach with walnuts, dried cranberry, fresh blueberry, strawberry and some grilled chicken or fish. Balsamic dressing.

I have also done with a bit of crumbled goat cheese and mandarin instead of strawberries.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Salads

Postby Samantha » Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 am

MINITEE wrote:My current fave is the following:

Baby spinach with walnuts, dried cranberry, fresh blueberry, strawberry and some grilled chicken or fish. Balsamic dressing.

I have also done with a bit of crumbled goat cheese and mandarin instead of strawberries.

I though you didn't eat walnuts!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Salads

Postby Samantha » Fri May 25, 2012 5:12 am

La wrote:
Size5 wrote:

Actually, I usually just eat plain old salad that I make each day (mixed lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red peppers, leftover chicken) and bring my salad dressing from home in a little baggie. But for this particular salad I could make 2-3 days worth at once.

I never thought of putting the dressing in a Baggie!!! :doh:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri May 25, 2012 9:30 am

Samantha wrote:
La wrote:
Size5 wrote:

I never thought of putting the dressing in a Baggie!!! :doh:

Theoritically, I could just bring a jar of dressing (I always make my own) to the office and leave it in the fridge here, but putting just the right amount in a snack-size ziploc bag works just as well. I just cut off the corner and squeeze it onto the salad when I'm ready to eat it.

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Fri May 25, 2012 10:16 am

What great ideas! These days, I make salads with dinner (a habit never known in my family before), and the bagged stuff is a wee bit too expensive, so I've been creating my own. Leftovers are nice additions to lunch:
Greek:
Lettuce, chopped sun dried tomatoes, chopped capers (or chopped olives), chopped red onion, mixed-in feta (optional dried cranberries)
Mint Mix-up:
Lettuce, fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped mint, green peppers, chopped red onion, mixed-in feta
I'm sure i'll come up with more as need and boredom demand.

I imagine cooked meats would go well on either of these.
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

Size5 wrote:

So you can do a big cook? ;))

Eta: thats only funny to me I bet :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri May 25, 2012 12:33 pm

I started throwing in frozen edamame beans. They are thawed by lunch and super filling.

I also sometime supplement with the sprouted bean trio that you can get at costco. If you let the beans soak in the dressing it adds a zing to them and then put the whole mess into the lettuce and stuff.

My other favorite salad is a taco salad. Just a small portion of taco meat is enough and i then substitute salsa for any sorta dressing. Another zinger and very filling salad.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
Size5 wrote:

So you can do a big cook? ;))

Eta: thats only funny to me I bet :lol:
the big cook thing still cracks me up :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:32 pm

Am I the only one with a screwed up post that has JoniB avatar in the middle of all the quotes???
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri May 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Size5 wrote:Am I the only one with a screwed up post that has JoniB avatar in the middle of all the quotes???

Are you on your iPad? If you are, it's happened to me before. You have to go to settings/safari/clear cookies.
I kept getting exclamation marks in random places and smilies in the middle of people's faces etc....

ETA: when I asked about it, everyone blamed it on taper madness.....
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Salads

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:55 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
Size5 wrote:Am I the only one with a screwed up post that has JoniB avatar in the middle of all the quotes???

Are you on your iPad? If you are, it's happened to me before. You have to go to settings/safari/clear cookies.
I kept getting exclamation marks in random places and smilies in the middle of people's faces etc....

ETA: when I asked about it, everyone blamed it on taper madness.....

must be an iPad thing- ive never seen that on the iPhone or on safari or other browsers.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sat May 26, 2012 10:43 am

MINITEE wrote:My current fave is the following:

This is a favourite here to, especially with goat cheese or a bit of blue cheese. My go-to salad formula is greens + fruit (dried and/or fresh) + nuts + cheese + red onion + lean meat + vinaigrette. It's always good.

Back when I had a real job, I used to take my dressings in a wee little tupperware container. I have a set of itty bitty ones that hold a couple tablespoons, and I would just tuck them in the bowl with my salad and throw it all in my purse.
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sat May 26, 2012 2:51 pm

One of my favourite salads comes from Costco, but I've recreated it myself quite easily. It contains spring mix, cut up apples, pecans, cranberries, Gouda cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.

I also add avocado to a lot of salads because it's delicious, and sometimes I'll add hemp seeds for protein.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat May 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Half-Mary wrote:One of my favourite salads comes from Costco, but I've recreated it myself quite easily. It contains spring mix, cut up apples, pecans, cranberries, Gouda cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.

I also add avocado to a lot of salads because it's delicious, and sometimes I'll add hemp seeds for protein.

the apples don't go brown in the Costco salad?

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat May 26, 2012 3:52 pm

I just made a shrimp, avocado, and corn salad. It had chilli lime dressing. It was pretty tasty!

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Sat May 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Samantha wrote:
Half-Mary wrote:One of my favourite salads comes from Costco, but I've recreated it myself quite easily. It contains spring mix, cut up apples, pecans, cranberries, Gouda cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette.

the apples don't go brown in the Costco salad?

They get sprayed with something to keep them from going brown. I prefer to make my own salad so that I can avoid that chemical.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”