oobinsnaffa's Race for Pace 5k, & a new PB!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

oobinsnaffa's Race for Pace 5k, & a new PB!

Postby oobinsnaffa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:00 pm

Back in March, I ran what was pretty much my first 5k race - it was my first 5k since 2006 anyway, and since having two kids! If anything will put you back at square one, two kids and six years of sloth would be it! Anyway, I knew as soon as I finished that I was hooked on racing. My time was a not-particularly-spectacular 38:57, and that set in motion a drive to be better, faster. I signed up for the Remington Race for Pace on June 23, with the intention of blowing my St. Patrick's Day 5k time out of the water.

My training plan leading up to the race was pretty loose - increase my distance slowly, and hope for the best. I wanted to be comfortably running 5k by race day, not scraping it out by the skin of my teeth like before. I was confident I'd set a new PB, but not really sure by how much. As usual, race nerves set in for me early, exacerbated by the fact that my floor hockey team was playing the league championship game just three days before, and my daughter's 5th birthday party was in the afternoon on the same day as my race. I was a little ball of stress, and training went out the window. I ended up doing nothing but sitting on my butt for the two days before the race, which in hindsight was probably not a bad thing.

Race day: I was not impressed to wake up to the sound of pouring rain. If you know Calgary, then you know that humidity and days of total rain are not particularly common here, even in the "wet" season. I had been holding out hope for at the worst an overcast morning, not just for the race but for my daughter's "pool party"-themed birthday later in the afternoon. No such luck. I dug out my shell jacket that's at least one size too big for me, and crossed my fingers that it'd stop raining by the time we got down to North Glenmore.

Of course, it did stop raining, but it didn't even cross my mind to ditch the shell with my husband and kids when he dropped me off and went off in search for parking. And with only a few minutes to race time, there was no way he'd be back to take it from me, and I had nowhere to ditch it. I loathe running with anything tied around my waist, so I opened up the vents and decided to just suck it up. Once the horn blared and we were off, though, I knew that wasn't the right decision. I was sweating almost immediately. Mind over matter was my mantra for the first little bit - I felt like I started strong, and paced myself with a guy who had particularly amazing calves. And when I realized that the first bit of the race was out and back towards the start point, I held out hope that I might spot my family & ditch my shell, but as we approached my hopes were yet again dashed. No sight of them. Around 2k, I had resigned myself to running in my own mini-sauna when I spotted my daughter waving and yelling at me from a parallel path not far away. I yelled for them and peeled that shell off faster than you could blink. I tossed it in the grass for them to retrieve, and was off with a renewed energy. Sweet, cool relief!

The rest of the run was mostly uneventful. I lost the guy with the awesome calves, but I did continue to leapfrog with a few runners around my pace. At one point I saw runners coming back along the parallel path, and was hoping the turnaround point would be soon. I saw one runner and thought I recognized her from somewhere, but wasn't sure who the heck it was. At the turnaround point (which was about 3.5k, since the route back was shorter) I felt like I had somehow found a mysterious energy reserve. I left behind the runners I had been leap-frogging, and pushed myself to run a little harder, and then a LOT harder once I was well past the 4k mark. As I approached the finish, I saw my 5 year old jumping up and down and yelling, and that gave me the incentive I needed to sprint over the finish line. Official time: 32:52! My goal of a new PB was easily achieved. :dance:

Shortly after I finished, the mysterious racer in blue that I recognized out on the path came up and said hello. Turns out, I got to meet the wonderful Hammie on my race day! I wasn't expecting to meet any Maniacs there, but somehow she recognized me and came over to say hi. We chatted for a few minutes before I had to pack up and get home to do birthday party prep, I wish I could have stuck around longer! A new PB & meeting my first Maniac, I think I'd call that a successful race. :D
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

DJHL
Bruce Kidd

Re: oobinsnaffa's Race for Pace 5k, & a new PB!

Postby DJHL » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Brilliant! Congratulations on your super PB despite the race challenges. You are making great progress - next time sub 30:00 (pressure, pressure!).

Get back to a regular exercise routine

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 am

Congrats on the PB!!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 am

Congrats - It was great to meet you, and it sounds like you had a great race! I hope the party went well!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

oobinsnaffa
Tom Longboat

Postby oobinsnaffa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 am

Hammie wrote:Congrats - It was great to meet you, and it sounds like you had a great race! I hope the party went well!

As feared, it poured rain and the kids left my basement an epic disaster. But the birthday girl had fun, and that's what matters!
PBs: 5K: 32:52 - 8K: 55:08 - 10K: 1:05:57

2013 Races
Mar 24: Vancouver Spring Run-Off (8K): Finished, 55:08 (PB)
Aug 17: Spartan Sprint Calgary (3 miles): Finished
Sep 7: Spartan Super Red Deer (8 miles): Finished
Sep 28: Spartan Beast Sun Peaks (13 miles)
Nov 2: Banff Winterstart (5 miles)
Dec 31: Resolution Run Calgary (5K)

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am

Congrats on the PB oobi, well done!

As I said in your journal, I only see this time decreasing and a sub 30min is closerthan you think. Keep up with the good work!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:53 am

Well done and congrats on the PB ...

Other than winter time, if the weather is iffy, I usually bring/wear extra throw-away clothes to the startline of a race, just in case ... and those $ponchos$ from the $store$ is also an option ... :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

congrats on the pb!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Woo hoo! Way to go :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Oobin, do you realize that you cut SIX minutes off of your 5k time in just 4 months?? That's crazy!! Congratulations!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Return to “Run/Race Reports”