worst run ever

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

worst run ever

Postby babysteps » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm

I had the worst run ever today. I can't even call it a run really. My plan was 14-16km. I'm now home, 6.15km later. I started out planning to do 4:1s for the first 20 mins to get warmed up then see how I felt for walk:run intervals (probably 10:1) and try to run the last 5-6km straight. That's what I've been doing and it has been working well.

After about 20mins I just couldn't go anymore. I walked. A lot. Then I'd run for a minute then walk, a lot, again. At the 4k mark it was decision time, go right and head out on a 10km loop home or turn left and head on a 2km route home. I turned left. Then I decided to just walk. Then I decided to run the downhills (the route is an overall elevation gain but has some downhill areas). Then I ran the last 5 minutes home. I'm done done done.

Here's what I think happened: I've been working out about 7 hours a week for about 5 weeks (and have been feeling good). But I skipped 2 days early in this week and so I've been cramming my workouts in (I know, I know...). Yesterday I did 2hrs of swim, bike, run which would have been fine usually except for the aforementioned "cramming". It's 32 degrees out and 70% humidity. Instead of getting up early and running in the cool morning air I slept in and procrastinated all morning. I only had a tiny breakfast (half a Tim's yogurt and some GF granola).

So to summarize:
Multiple build weeks with no cutbacks.
Trying to make up for missed workouts
Nutritional deficit
Heat and humidity

Did I miss anything?

Who knew... if you do everything wrong you get a bad result?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: worst run ever

Postby Jwolf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Yup, take a rest day tomorrow and restart on Monday. Sometimes the cumulative load is just too much.

Then sometimes our brains go silly on us. When you started to think, "Oh no, I'm having trouble, did I do too much this week..." your brain probably just shut down and said, "this is enough for me." Mental blocks can be hard to get over.

So just put it behind you and chalk it up to one bad day. No biggie.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:21 pm

the heat plus the cramming would do it... I struggled yesterday with only 4 miles because of the heat and the previous day's run.

One time I called a cab in the middle of a long run because I was feeling so crappy... then the cabbie was asking me questions and I just wanted to cry. :/
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 pm

It's so weird isn't it? The same body can be so "on" one day and so "off" the other. I feel somewhat validated as hubby just came home from his run and he cut it short too which he never does (and he cannot be accused of over doing it, Mr.I only run three times a week and still kick you butt at everything).

Return to “General Running Discussion”