Doonst on the rocks: 5 Peaks Terra Cotta Half Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst on the rocks: 5 Peaks Terra Cotta Half Marathon

Postby Doonst » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Yesterday was September 08th and I ran the 5 Peaks Terra Cotta half marathon. The start was 11 minutes from my home but most of the course, all on the Bruce Trail and sidetrails, is even closer. So I know the trails well, although some parts of it I rarely run because its just too tricky. Most of it is just right though, what a great course. It did pour rain all night and right up to start time, when it mysteriously eased up. Still the trail and all runners and volunteers got quite wet.
I haven't actually done a run over 16 k this calendar year. so I didn't have very high expectations, hoping just to finish upright and whatever. I was concerned about people's safety on that wet and wild course, but I saw no evidence of carnage. Right on track I faded at about the 15 K mark, and my knee started to complain about the hills. So I finished up in a slow limp, in two hours and forty five minutes, about fifteen minutes over my estimate. No great placement today. I had done the ITT 15 K last month and held up well and came in ahead of schedule, but that was then.
The course was amazingly well marked, a wonderful and important thing out there. Volunteers at all critical junctions, and as this race crossed 3 roads and multiple sidetrails that is crucial. Not too impressed that there was no water at the finish, for the 30 minutes I waited around after. That is a pretty basic thing; eventually I had a cold coffee. Good catching up with Robbie-T who rocked it as usual, and many local runners. I sure hope they do this course again and again, as I would like an opprtunity to get my revenge, maybe even on a drier day.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Re: Doonst on the rocks: 5 Peaks Terra Cotta Half Marathon

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd have to agree Doonst, that was a great course, very challenging but very well marked and managed. I too would like to try it on a dry day, many times I slowed up so to avoid crippling injuries or in places where my body may not have been found.

I should put together a race report in a day or two.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:32 pm

Nice job going strong for as long as you did. That course was outrageous already, and outrageous times infinity in that weather. For just a few moments I thought about canceling the race or amending it to just be loops of the gravel road... Will be fun to see future results in better conditions.

Sorry about the water issue. Totally unacceptable and my fault. We finally found the missing 45L of water... right under our noses, along the outside back wall of the pavilion. :roll:

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Got to love those local races Doonst. Hope the knee comes around, take care and heal up next season is just around the corner.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:24 am

Good job finishing another crunchy trail race, doonst. I'm sure your knees are going "wtf is up with all these technical courses?" But it's hard to resist a race on the Bruce, especially when it is so close to home. Heal up and enjoy what's left of this fall season.
Ultrarunner again

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 am

Another fine report and good event, sheldon!! Good luck with the wonky knee!! :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:43 pm

:? :(
I feel I have failed as your Official Fan being so late in posting here. My excuse...away last weekend having a blast in Halifax and seeing a couple of my CTRR 2006 team mates saying..."I do".
Good for you to get out there when you know you're not going to be in race shape...you encourage me as I'm facing a 10km race at the end of October that will likely be a "slow slog" :lol: :lol:
Take care of that knee...you want it working when you're old and grumpy :wink:
As always...I remain,
Your Devoted Fan
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

Congrats! Bet that was tough on the knees. Love the 5 Peaks races.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Well done!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”