Spring half-marathons in GTA(ish)?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Spring half-marathons in GTA(ish)?

Postby ratherawkward » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 am

I'm starting to think ahead to my race plans for 2013, and I'm pretty set on doing the TO Women's Half again (end of May) but wouldn't mind working another half in there around April, or first weekend in May at the latest. I don't want something where I have to go get a hotel, so that limits my options a bit. Any suggestions of good races in that time frame? Off the top of my head, the ones I'm aware of are:
- Waterloo
- London Forest City (farthest I'm willing to go from TO and come back same day, probably not really in the running unless someone thinks it's a fabulous event)
- Mississauga
- Toronto Goodlife

Any others I've missed? I need to register for something new to start feeling motivated again as the weather gets gloomy.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Re: Spring half-marathons in GTA(ish)?

Postby abirdd » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:37 am

Marden Marathon - http://www.mardenmarathon.ca/
Just saw a friend make mention on Facebook this morning. Apparently they have a $15 for ANY race distance price blitz coming up next week. See the site for details.

Uxbridge Half Marathon - http://www.uxbridgehalfmarathon.ca/
I'm told this one is a nice combo of trails, golf course, and country roads. Also, the post-run buffet is supposed to be excellent.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:35 pm

abirdd wrote:Uxbridge Half Marathon - http://www.uxbridgehalfmarathon.ca/
I'm told this one is a nice combo of trails, golf course, and country roads. Also, the post-run buffet is supposed to be excellent.

Come to Uxbridge. Race director Katharine, a veteran runner herself, does a great job on this one. Great venue and course. Also, The Greater Uxbridge Road Runners, which I am a member of, will run much of the course on a Sunday long run or two so you would be welcome to join us for a course preview a few weeks in advance.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 am

Looking at Uxbridge now and definitely giving it serious consideration. How tough is the 'trail' part of it for somebody used to running on roads?

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 am

Double Bellybuster wrote: Also, The Greater Uxbridge Road Runners, which I am a member of, will run much of the course on a Sunday long run or two so you would be welcome to join us for a course preview a few weeks in advance.

Hmmm...that sounds like a potential GTA meet and greet. Long run and then brunch, anyone?
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 am

ratherawkward wrote:Looking at Uxbridge now and definitely giving it serious consideration. How tough is the 'trail' part of it for somebody used to running on roads?

The trails are flat and quick, some grass, some dirt, some golf course cart path. One would definitely wear the regular or lightweight road shoes they would wear in a road race rather than trail shoes. So a very quick versus your traditional conservation area trail race. But versus a traditional road half marathon, you might be off your typical result by five minutes - concession roads are rolling hills and the golf course paths are as well as they try to make this a tough (lots of terrain changes) golf course.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:
Double Bellybuster wrote: Also, The Greater Uxbridge Road Runners, which I am a member of, will run much of the course on a Sunday long run or two so you would be welcome to join us for a course preview a few weeks in advance.

Hmmm...that sounds like a potential GTA meet and greet. Long run and then brunch, anyone?

Sounds great!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Will consider this one too!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:39 pm

I thought the Marden one sounds good. Like me its a little west of center, and the price is right. I was thinking of doing Waterloo again but this might take a little of that crowd.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:43 am

This is all so very spectacular that I have signed up for the Half in Marden and the 5K in Uxbridge.

Doonst wrote:I thought the Marden one sounds good. Like me its a little west of center, and the price is right. I was thinking of doing Waterloo again but this might take a little of that crowd.

Doonst - what is the review on the Marden course? I notice it is point-to-point, with the finish about 13.1 K from the start, no retracing of path. Is this a downhill course?

Thanks.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:This is all so very spectacular that I have signed up for the Half in Marden and the 5K in Uxbridge.

Doonst wrote:I thought the Marden one sounds good. Like me its a little west of center, and the price is right. I was thinking of doing Waterloo again but this might take a little of that crowd.

Doonst - what is the review on the Marden course? I notice it is point-to-point, with the finish about 13.1 K from the start, no retracing of path. Is this a downhill course?

Thanks.

I think its an out and back, with a couple of easy rollers.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:56 pm

Separate thread on the Marden race:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46203

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Revisiting this thread because I keep alternately talking myself into, and out of, the Uxbridge half. Given that my PR on a nice flat road course is 2:13, I'm thinking that between the hills and trails on this one I would definitely be one of the last stragglers across the finish!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 pm

ratherawkward wrote:Revisiting this thread because I keep alternately talking myself into, and out of, the Uxbridge half. Given that my PR on a nice flat road course is 2:13, I'm thinking that between the hills and trails on this one I would definitely be one of the last stragglers across the finish!

I don't think so. The hills slow everyone down by five minutes or so. if you are midpack among the women eslewhere, you'll be midpack among the women in Uxbridge too.

Also, there is a large Half Marathon beginners clinic leading up to the event this year. So while there are always runners through 2:45:00, there may be a higher proportion this year.

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Well, I've gone and signed up - I got sick of dithering over it. Tuesdays are going to be "hill" days from now on!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm

ratherawkward wrote:Well, I've gone and signed up - I got sick of dithering over it. Tuesdays are going to be "hill" days from now on!

Awesome!

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:...The Greater Uxbridge Road Runners, which I am a member of, will run much of the course on a Sunday long run or two so you would be welcome to join us for a course preview a few weeks in advance.

The Golf Course has not been available earlier due to snow but we plan to run there this Sunday. if you want a course preview one week in advance, let me know this week.

Dave

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think I'll make it up there this Sunday - I'm actually questionable now for the race itself, between the current illness and being somewhat behind on my long runs. It may be more of an "exciting training run" than a race for me. Fingers crossed!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm registered for this one....first time running for me.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

I'll look for you Maniacs and will say hello race day. I will be one of the few dudes in a red GURR (Greater Uxbridge Road Runners) T-shirt promoting the club. I'm probably spottable, 90% of the club is women and I think I'm the last holdover male from the year red T-shirts were issued.

Way more detail than I needed to post! but see you there!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm

One year, I will do this race. I love running in Uxbridge- we have house-sat there quite a few times in the last couple of years. The trails are NOT difficult, and that's coming from me (those who know me know I think the Beltline and the Moore Ravine in TO are the perfect trails, lol). There are some really decent hills on the road though- does it go up or down the 7th? Coming down that one hurts, and I imagine going up would hurt as well. The road that goes off from the 7th just past Elgin Park has a decent hill too, but it's not as steep. It would definitely be a challenging course though.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 pm

QuickChick wrote:There are some really decent hills on the road though- does it go up or down the 7th? Coming down that one hurts, and I imagine going up would hurt as well. The road that goes off from the 7th just past Elgin Park has a decent hill too, but it's not as steep. It would definitely be a challenging course though.

No Seventh Concession anymore but there is the Brookdale Road climb of 65 metres from 3K to 5K:

http://uxbridgehalfmarathon.com/images/ ... rsemap.jpg

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 am

At least it's at the beginning. That's a really pretty road, too. It looks like the finish is downhill (down Elgin Park from what I can see?). Yes, one year I'll do it! Maybe next year.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:23 am

QuickChick wrote:Yes, one year I'll do it! Maybe next year.

Me too. Next year.

Return to “General Running Discussion”