2013 Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Re: 2013 Tamarack Ottawa Race Weekend

Postby canalrunner » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm

HCcD wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:
ian wrote:(1) I probably won't be able to get to the expo on Saturday in time to get my package, but I see that this can be done by a third party. Would anyone here be able to do this and intercept me later in the evening (perhaps over a carb-loading dinner)?

Hmmm...we will be in a similar situation since we have to attend a Friday night wedding in Toronto. I'm sure one or more Maniacs will help us out :)

:-H :- :-BD :!! :YMPRAY: \:D/

And by that he means "Not Andy". :D
Last edited by canalrunner on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm

canalrunner wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:
ian wrote:(1) I probably won't be able to get to the expo on Saturday in time to get my package, but I see that this can be done by a third party. Would anyone here be able to do this and intercept me later in the evening (perhaps over a carb-loading dinner)?

Hmmm...we will be in a similar situation since we have to attend a Friday night wedding in Toronto. I'm sure one or more Maniacs will help us out :)

And by that he mean "Not Andy". :D

LOL.

I'm pretty sure, now that I think about it, that I've seen race day pick-up for this event. But I'd rather not rely on that.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Jogger Barbie wrote:
canalrunner wrote:
HCcD wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

And by that he mean "Not Andy". :D

LOL.

I'm pretty sure, now that I think about it, that I've seen race day pick-up for this event. But I'd rather not rely on that.

:( :cry: :cry: :cry:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:46 am

Our 10K is 80% sold out and as you all know how quickly our Half Marathon sold out - Don't delay registration! www.runottawa.ca

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 am

I'm guessin', Going, Going and Gone by the weekend ... :shifty: :wink:

Ottawa Marathon
Our 10K is 86% sold out ! You don't need me to tell you what you need to do if you LOVE THIS RACE!
www.runottawa.ca

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:11 am

HCcD wrote:I'm guessin', Going, Going and Gone by the weekend ... :shifty: :wink:

Ottawa Marathon
Our 10K is 86% sold out ! You don't need me to tell you what you need to do if you LOVE THIS RACE!
http://www.runottawa.ca

Let's BF the "Boy it sold out early--I meant to register--does anyone know where I can get a bib" posts and Facebook messages for Monday. The one I am always puzzled by is the "I booked my flight and hotel but forgot to register for the race: post--always thought there was a sequencing issue there.
2016 Races

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:14 am

canalrunner wrote:
HCcD wrote:I'm guessin', Going, Going and Gone by the weekend ... :shifty: :wink:

Ottawa Marathon

Let's BF the "Boy it sold out early--I meant to register--does anyone know where I can get a bib" posts and Facebook messages for Monday. The one I am always puzzled by is the "I booked my flight and hotel but forgot to register for the race: post--always thought there was a sequencing issue there.

Some people are superstitious about registering for a non-refundable race before they've done their last long run before taper. Flights and hotels can be cancelled. ;)

The first year of the Angus Glen Half Marathon the race was sold out. The guy who won raced as a bandit because he couldn't get an entry. His excuse: "I e-mailed you to tell you I was coming." :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:

Ottawa Marathon

Some people are superstitious about registering for a non-refundable race before they've done their last long run before taper. Flights and hotels can be cancelled. ;)

The first year of the Angus Glen Half Marathon the race was sold out. The guy who won raced as a bandit because he couldn't get an entry. His excuse: "I e-mailed you to tell you I was coming." :lol:

Aren't ALL races technically "non-refundable" except for, apparently the 2012 NYC Marathon ??? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty: :shifty:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 pm

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:
canalrunner wrote:

Ottawa Marathon

Aren't ALL races technically "non-refundable" except for, apparently the 2012 NYC Marathon ??? :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty: :shifty:

That was my point - saying that races are non-refundable whereas travel arrangements are. Except in the case of NYC where the race ended up being refundable but not the travel costs!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Just a hand of 10K registration left, as of earlier this morning, if it has not already SOLD OUT ... Now, how soon will the 5K SELL OUT? I am guessin' by the end of the month, for sure .. And, will be interesting to see how quickly the marathon eventually sells out in, as well .... :what: :what:

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am

HCcD wrote:Just a hand of 10K registration left, as of earlier this morning, if it has not already SOLD OUT ...

And just that like, the 10K sold out... and immediately the Kijiji ads went up!

Stats from ORW this morning:
Marathon 74% sold out
Ottawa 5k 50% sold out
Ottawa 2k 46% sold out

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:04 am

Runners: Wanted to share our registration update for this morning:
Marathon - 78%
5K - 60%
2K - 50%
Let's keep the registration momentum going and register Now!
www.runottawa.ca

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 am

I was waiting to register. Since the marathon is close to 80% now I figured I better make it official so I am registering now.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 am

Pat29 wrote:I was waiting to register. Since the marathon is close to 80% now I figured I better make it official so I am registering now.

What a change from just a few years ago. I remember when Ed and I ran the half in 2009, I had to fight the impulse at the expo to change to the marathon, because registration was still open. And now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that in 2010 you could have registered for the marathon at the expo.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 am

Jogger Barbie wrote:
Pat29 wrote:I was waiting to register. Since the marathon is close to 80% now I figured I better make it official so I am registering now.

What a change from just a few years ago. I remember when Ed and I ran the half in 2009, I had to fight the impulse at the expo to change to the marathon, because registration was still open. And now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that in 2010 you could have registered for the marathon at the expo.

I could be wrong but I don't think the marathon was compleately sold out last year. If it was it certainly did not sell out this early.
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 am

Pat29 wrote:
Jogger Barbie wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think the marathon was compleately sold out last year. If it was it certainly did not sell out this early.

Yes, that is correct ... switching from an event to another event is only available, if the event was NOT SOLD OUT ... Interesting that the Ottawa Race Weekend is now selling out 3-4 months in advance, as compared to a few years ago when it may have sold out only a few weeks prior ... still a big difference to the US Majors where they sell out 30,000-40,000+ is a matter of hours now, but a good sign that this industry/sport is still a growing business ...

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

speaking of selling out - I have a colleague looking for 2 10k bibs....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Irongirl wrote:speaking of selling out - I have a colleague looking for 2 10k bibs....

Guess they forgot to register last week, eh !!!

They could always register for the 5K and, like last year, hope that someone else posts that due to an injury and/or lack of training, blah, blah, blah, and looking to trade their 10K bib(s) for a 5k bib(s) ... as race day comes closer ... Like in the past, I suspect, even with the current No Refund, Exchange, Transfer Policy, once everything sells out, Sportstats will come to the rescue and offer a one or two week window at the last week of April, first week of May to do an exchange, transfer, etc., for a fee of course ... :wink:

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm

HCcD wrote:
Irongirl wrote:speaking of selling out - I have a colleague looking for 2 10k bibs....

They could always register for the 5K and, like last year, hope that someone else posts that due to an injury and/or lack of training, blah, blah, blah, and looking to trade their 10K bib(s) for a 5k bib(s) ... as race day comes closer ... Like in the past, I suspect, even with the current No Refund, Exchange, Transfer Policy, once everything sells out, Sportstats will come to the rescue and offer a one or two week window at the last week of April, first week of May to do an exchange, transfer, etc., for a fee of course ... :wink:

There is a transfer system already in place:

"Transfers
A transfer is to be used if you can no longer run and you wish to transfer your entry to another person you have found who wants to take your entry. Transfers can be completed up until May 1, 2013. A transfer can be completed by going to your confirmation email and clicking on the link at the bottom. Here you will need to enter your email and the email of the person you are transferring to and then press continue. The person who is accepting the transfer must press accept, and pay the $15 transfer fee. Once this has been done, they will be able enter their information as the new participant. Once this is complete and submitted the original participant is deleted from the database and the new participant is now entered into database.

For farther information contact ryan@runottawa.ca"
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Irongirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

There is a transfer system already in place:

"Transfers
A transfer is to be used if you can no longer run and you wish to transfer your entry to another person you have found who wants to take your entry. Transfers can be completed up until May 1, 2013. A transfer can be completed by going to your confirmation email and clicking on the link at the bottom. Here you will need to enter your email and the email of the person you are transferring to and then press continue. The person who is accepting the transfer must press accept, and pay the $15 transfer fee. Once this has been done, they will be able enter their information as the new participant. Once this is complete and submitted the original participant is deleted from the database and the new participant is now entered into database.

For farther information contact ryan@runottawa.ca"

Is that new?

Then why did they continue to push their disclaimer about No Refund, Transfer, Cancellation Policy on FB and on their site ?? :?

Again, 5K is better than nothing .. and, better odds to trade up with someone who may not necessarily want to sell their 10K bib, but trade down to the 5K, once they get closer to end of April and everything is SOLD OUT ....

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 am

A registration update
5K - 70.4%
2K - 56%
Marathon - 84.1%

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am

Rare that we think about the Race Directors (unless they screw up) or acknowledge their work that allows us our fun on the weekend but perhaps this is a good time to do so. Jim Robinson, long time director of Ottawa Race Weekend, is stepping down this year to be replaced by John Halverson (former world class 10k runner). Through Jim's tenure the race grew from 4,000 runners to over 40,000 and the vibe in the city for the race turned from tolerance to a warm embrace. Thanks Jim for your work and thanks to all the other race directors of big or small events for making them happen. http://www.runottawa.ca/sites/default/files/New%20President_final.pdf
2016 Races

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:58 am

fyi ... latest FB update ....

Ottawa Marathon
Good Morning Runners! Our Marathon is quickly selling out. We are at 93% sold! Awesome news - thank you! That means there is
LESS than 400 entries left in the marathon! If you have not signed up, today would be a good day! www.runottawa.ca

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:10 am

Time to bump this thread, and get a list of who's going to be there and for what event!

1/2 Marathon

Full Marathon
Erin McD- 3:35 Pace Bunny

Cheering
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:19 am

Time to bump this thread, and get a list of who's going to be there and for what event!

1/2 Marathon
purdy65 2:15 pace bunny

Full Marathon
Erin McD- 3:35 Pace Bunny

Cheering
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “General Running Discussion”