How cold is too cold?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: How cold is too cold?

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:14 pm

ratherawkward wrote:Oh wow, that DHR 500 is serious business! :shock: (The fact that I'm imagining it and thinking I couldn't get through it all probably means I need to start doing it...)

Be prepared to cry, I did. :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Reporting back: I just tried the DHR 500 and by the time I got through the push-ups (and I had to do them girl-style), I was forced to cut the rest down to 20 reps instead of 50. I was still cursing all the way through it, and almost couldn't get my arms over my head to change shirts afterwards. I have never done anything like 50 pushups in my life before, though (even doing them on the knees, I think the most I've ever managed was maybe 20-ish), so I'm feeling accomplished nonetheless.

I was having trouble figuring out how I was meant to touch my toes in the V-sit, though - are you supposed to reach forward and touch toes or is it more like a jackknife?
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Smartwool socks are great, but at a certain point they don't work (usually below -15 and after about an hour, haha).
I was actually surprised to find that my feet are never an issue. My ass gets cold, and working out the balance between having a warm face and being able to breath is an issue, but feet no problemo.

Having said that, have you tried the "Woolie Boolie" socks at MEC? They are actually cycling socks, but they are great because they are warm and also because they cover your ankles nicely so there is a good overlap with your tights or pants.

+1000 on the ass coldness! There was a really windy day a few wks ago, and my skin was swollen and itchy after. And puckered like chicken skin! Ha

I really really hate the treadmill, so I avoid it as much. So as long as I can be seen (blizzardly snow) I would just rather be outside.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm

ratherawkward wrote:Reporting back: I just tried the DHR 500 and by the time I got through the push-ups (and I had to do them girl-style), I was forced to cut the rest down to 20 reps instead of 50. I was still cursing all the way through it, and almost couldn't get my arms over my head to change shirts afterwards. I have never done anything like 50 pushups in my life before, though (even doing them on the knees, I think the most I've ever managed was maybe 20-ish), so I'm feeling accomplished nonetheless.

I was having trouble figuring out how I was meant to touch my toes in the V-sit, though - are you supposed to reach forward and touch toes or is it more like a jackknife?

I do them jackknife style.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:48 pm

ratherawkward wrote:Reporting back: I just tried the DHR 500 and by the time I got through the push-ups (and I had to do them girl-style), I was forced to cut the rest down to 20 reps instead of 50. I was still cursing all the way through it, and almost couldn't get my arms over my head to change shirts afterwards. I have never done anything like 50 pushups in my life before, though (even doing them on the knees, I think the most I've ever managed was maybe 20-ish), so I'm feeling accomplished nonetheless.

CAW started a new thread for this discussion in the Training forum.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:55 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:
La wrote:
NewFinnLoper wrote:I have only one thing to add re:duct tape...I used to put it on my shoes, but had issues with it falling off so I started duct-taping the top of the socks themselves...worked like a charm - blocked the wind and didn't come off. My DH uses clear tape on his socks with the same results.

That's what I was thinking when I suggested putting the tape on the inside of the shoes. I like your idea better! For cycling, if I don't have my booties or toe warmers, I've put my feet in plastic bags before putting on my cycling shoes and that works GREAT. But I don't think it would work for running because my feet usually do heat up after a while running, whereas in cycling they do not (once they're cold they stay cold).

Also with plastic bags I wonder if the foot would slip around in the shoe more... :think:

A friend uses plastic bags and has never had a problem. She didn't complain about slippage in the shoe. My feet haven't given me an issue. I do wear a thicker pair of socks in the winter than what I wear in the summer but haven't duct taped or bagged my feet yet. I also praise shoe grippers although they send shock waves up my legs and back when I hit bare pavement in them.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Probably about -20 or so is my limit. I've run in colder than that but I'd rather just hit the treadmill if it's that cold. I think the bigger issue for me is footing and wind. If I have good footing and no wind, the temp doesn't really bother me all that much. If either of those are issues, I'll typically hit the treadmill regardless of temp.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Great ideas about the duct tape on the socks, and the toe warmers!! I'll have to look for those- they could change my life!!

Cold feet just suck- I'm sitting here INDOORS, and my right foot is currently completely pale yellow and numb. They are probably also the reason I wouldn't cycle a lot in the winter, too- I've biked a bit when it's been dry, but the last day I did, it was about -2 and my feet FROZE after about 45 minutes. I had my full-grain leather Ugg boots on, too, which are super warm, as well as wooly socks. As La said when they're not moving, once they get cold they just don't warm up!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:59 am

At around -40 the layers and clothing you have to wear get a little Thick/Heavy/Stiff that it makes "running" difficult so that seems to me the more limiting factor over the actual cold in my experience. That said, if I want to run the YAU100 next year I need to be able to run in -50 (That is what Spaff said it got down too overnight last year), so I better get use to it.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 am

jes wrote:
Marg cries at about -20. Proven fact.

No argument here! :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 am

Marg wrote:
jes wrote:
Marg cries at about -20. Proven fact.

No argument here! :)

It's suppose to be -19C / -29C windchill later this evening, Jes .... Just under your threshold ... :shifty: and, about -10C over my current threshold, so we'll see who whines first, 'k !!! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am

OK,

8K fairly easy on the TM, but I'm NOT looking forward to my clinic tonight. Yuck.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:39 am

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:05 am

I think these Bun Toasters might be a little more practical. ETA: discussed in this thread.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:55 am

I love my sugoi bun toasters!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

Those hand warmers actually works .... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty: Have a stock of them in my stash that I picked up a few years back, but never actually used them, for whatever reason ... :shifty: :oops: :oops: Used the Little Hotties (up to 8 hrs) this evening in betwen gloves and mittens, and my digits stayed relatively toasty in the -22C / -29C windchill for my hour run ...

Blair
Percy Williams

Postby Blair » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:31 pm

-25c including the windchill is about my limit (pushed that tonight!).
I wear two layers on the legs (one windproof) and three on the upper body (again, one windproof). A double layer of mitts and an extra warm toque. The feet have never been a problem so it's a single layer of tech socks.

I try to plan my route so that it's multiple smaller loops or out-and-back with a cross wind. Tonight, the gang did a trail run so the trees blocked most of the wind.
Blair
run on... and on... and on...

runningbetter.ca

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 am

It's currently -20. It hasn't been that cold in TO since January of 2011 (when Carla was here). It's supposed to "warm up" to -9C so depending on how I feel about that, I might actually run on the TM at the gym rather than braving the cold. Brrr.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

KBO
Ben Johnson

How cold is too cold?

Postby KBO » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:34 am

ultraslacker wrote:I love my sugoi bun toasters!!

I have the RR version of them and love them as well. They are an essential layer on a cold day.

This week I find it too cold to run outside. It's -29 this morning with a windchill of something crazy. I'm quite content on my treadmill in the morning. At least I can wear shorts and don't have to deal with all the layering etc.

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I've run in -50 and although I wasn't cold while running, I always am a little terrified of getting injured, so I try to stay where there are lots of people/places. Those temps can be pretty isolating (not many people outside) so it's important to be safe.

But I am also paranoid.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I would not be running outside in Ontario's weather right now, that's for sure!

Now that I'm back in Alberta, I find I don't mind running up to about -18C, depending on wind-chill. This is a far cry from my wimpy self last year where I couldn't bring myself to run outside in -5C.

Still, I can't wait for spring to come. :P
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

Return to “General Running Discussion”