Pistorius charged with murder!

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 am

"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Pistorius charged with murder!

Postby QuickChick » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 am

Jinx. Was just about to post this. Shocking!!! So he may have mistaken her for a burglar... I don't know how likely that is but it's a good argument against keeping guns at home "just in case".
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:34 am

I was shocked to hear this on the radio this morning too!

Apparently, the police has been to their house before for domestic violence so I wouldn't rule out anything.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 am

Wow! What a shock.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 am

Oh, the irony .... :shock: :?

Some of her last Twitter postings indicated she was looking forward to celebrating Valentine’s Day on Thursday with him.

“What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow???” she posted.

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 am

I just saw the story on twitter. How terrible. She was hit four times. Would you shoot a burglar four times? Maybe you would. Regardless of what happened, what a tragedy.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 am

RA. wrote:I just saw the story on twitter. How terrible. She was hit four times. Would you shoot a burglar four times? Maybe you would. Regardless of what happened, what a tragedy.

That's what I was thinking!

That, and, there have been times Scotty or the kids have startled me, but I can tell it is them because I know their body movements... so, I'm not sure I'm buying the mistaken for a burglar story.

Should be interesting to see how this story unfolds.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 am

This was shocking! The newspaper did make the point that South Africa is a very violent place (thus supporting the whole burglar theory), but the fact police have been called there before certainly puts a more deliberate spin on it.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:00 am

DonnaRigs wrote:This was shocking! The newspaper did make the point that South Africa is a very violent place (thus supporting the whole burglar theory), but the fact police have been called there before certainly puts a more deliberate spin on it.

The burglar theory was only speculation by the media and others and not by the police- I don't buy it for one second. Not to mention that one wouldn't get charged with murder in a case of accidental self-defense.

This is very tragic.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:05 am

CAW wrote:
RA. wrote:I just saw the story on twitter. How terrible. She was hit four times. Would you shoot a burglar four times? Maybe you would. Regardless of what happened, what a tragedy.

That, and, there have been times Scotty or the kids have startled me, but I can tell it is them because I know their body movements... so, I'm not sure I'm buying the mistaken for a burglar story.

I am not going to wade deep in to this one, but most training is that you keep shooting until the threat stops (i.e. is no longer a threat), so you could conceivably shoot someone multiple times.

I am not sure of the self defence laws in South Africa but it is extrememely well know for highjackings/kidnappings.

ETA - many times in what turns out to be self defence cases, the police will charge intially and let the courts sort it out/drop charges as the investigation progresses.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 am

eme wrote:
CAW wrote:

I am not going to wade deep in to this one, but most training is that you keep shooting until the threat stops (i.e. is no longer a threat), so you could conceivably shoot someone multiple times.

I am not sure of the self defence laws in South Africa but it is extrememely well know for highjackings/kidnappings.

ETA - many times in what turns out to be self defence cases, the police will charge intially and let the courts sort it out/drop charges as the investigation progresses.

The reporter in the CTV link that Marg linked to on FB also noted that in a gated community, since the gates are meant to keep out the burglars, those who are broken into may feel even more threatened, and that accidental killings are more common there in these areas.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

So much media speculation....
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

Very sad news. My mom's neighbours recently moved to Canada from South Africa. They've told Mom some pretty horrible stories. They always had a family member stay home when there was shopping to do or errands to be run. An empty house is a burglarized house from what they say. They've also told her about women and girls being victimized on a regular basis. They have two young girls and wanted to move to a safer country. So far they've found Alberta very welcoming.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am

Jwolf wrote:So much media speculation....

Yeah, who wants to wait for a police investigation and trial when the media can just guess at it? :?

On the bright side, this may finally put an end to the "does he have an advantage?" debate.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Saw that this morning and was shocked! Horrible.

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

I am shocked that people are actually shocked that this guy could be charged with murder.

Let's see, wasn't he the guy charged over an incident in 2009, where a 19 woman at his house had a wooden beam hit her by accident when he asked her to leave his house. I know wooden beams fall down in my house all the time and just about hit people.

I believe he also threaten to break a soccer player's legs after he thought he cheated on his GF late last year.

Sounds like he has anger management issues... Maybe he didnt run enough.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Just listening on the radio and one speculation was that, his GF was initiating some sort of Valentine Surprise that apparently resulted in him reacting to a possible break-in ... blah, blah, blah ... :shock: :?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:25 pm

cbaker1 wrote:I am shocked that people are actually shocked that this guy could be charged with murder.

Let's see, wasn't he the guy charged over an incident in 2009, where a 19 woman at his house had a wooden beam hit her by accident when he asked her to leave his house. I know wooden beams fall down in my house all the time and just about hit people.

I believe he also threaten to break a soccer player's legs after he thought he cheated on his GF late last year.

Sounds like he has anger management issues... Maybe he didnt run enough.

Okay...colour me a cynic. I can relate to what you posted :?
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Lack of firearms discipline... a very pretty girl, what a shame.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 pm

HCcD wrote:Just listening on the radio and one speculation was that, his GF was initiating some sort of Valentine Surprise that apparently resulted in him reacting to a possible break-in ... blah, blah, blah ... :shock: :?

Well, this theory has since been x-nayed ... back to possible domestic conflict / violence, according to CNN ... :roll: :what:

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:18 pm

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:16 am

Poor Nike seems to pick the "winners" when deciding who to sponsor! :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

At least he shot her... it would have been much worse had the 'blade runner' cut her or used his cf legs to break her windpipe

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Spirit wrote:Poor Nike seems to pick the "winners" when deciding who to sponsor! :lol:

it's all about keeping you cool under pressure!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:29 am

HCcD wrote:
HCcD wrote:Just listening on the radio and one speculation was that, his GF was initiating some sort of Valentine Surprise that apparently resulted in him reacting to a possible break-in ... blah, blah, blah ... :shock: :?

Well, this theory has since been x-nayed ... back to possible domestic conflict / violence, according to CNN ... :roll: :what:

Getting weirder and weirder .. latest news report on CNN this morning, was that he may have shot her through/behind the locked bathroom door ... :shock: :?

Return to “General Running Discussion”