Jes at ATB

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jes
Jerome Drayton

Jes at ATB

Postby jes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am

This was ATB number 4 for me. I swore after the first time that I'd never do it again, but you know how it goes. I didn't know what to expect that first year and really suffered through the hills. I've since learned my lesson :)

My PB from last year was 2:56. I was pretty sure I could PB, but I wanted to test out my projected marathon pace for Ottawa (going for 4-ish hrs), so that meant a 5:40 pace and coming in around 2:50. My training volume has been a bit lighter this year compared to last year, but I've been doing all my runs at a faster pace and have had some really good speed and tempo workouts in the last few months.

Zack was originally supposed to spend the weekend with my parents, but that fell through, so he ended up coming with us. He proved to be a great distraction - instead of worrying about the race, I was chasing a toddler around a hotel and worrying about him. Since Joe was working during the race, we arranged to have one of the other photographer's daughters watch him for the first hour or so, and then Carm was to collect him after her 5k race. It was the hand off of Zack from the unknown babysitter to Carm that had me worried - I knew that once she had him, they'd have loads of fun. Turns out that went just fine, and Unkie Andy met up with them and provided Zack with Timbits and a wrestling partner.

I had a great dinner at La Cantina (my favourite Hamilton restaurant!) on Sat night with HCcD, Carm, Jes, AndyM, Beth and Andy's relay partner, and then it was an early bedtime. I put Zack down at about 8, then intended to watch tv for a bit, but the bed was so comfy and the room was dark, so I was asleep by 8:30. I slept until 7am straight!! I don't remember the last time I'd done that!! Beth and I were gate crashers at Tim Hortons just after 7am, and we had a relaxed morning until leaving the hotel around 8:30. I used my handy media pass to get Zack to the finish line, then met up with the others in section 122. The RM crowd seemed pretty small this year, but it turns out I just missed seeing most maniacs.

Andy and I headed to our coral just after 9. I had qualified to be in the C coral, but there was a mix up and they gave me a bib for the open coral. I was a bit ticked, but what are you gonna do? So, I started out in open, but once we crossed the start mats, everyone around me was going the pace I wanted :D I was pretty sure I was over dressed, but when the wind picked up after about 10k, it was perfect!

The rough plan for the race was to start out around 5:50 and to pick it up after a 5-8k warmup. But the first km felt good and I was going with the crowd, so I stuck with it. I had a cramp in my diaphragm that had also plagued me earlier in the week, but I figured it would either go away in time, or I'd DNF. It eventually went away about 30 min later. Nothing exciting happened for a few km, until approaching the 9k mark I heard ... a train whistle! In past years, I'd been slower, so I'd never been affected by the train. I figured it'd be a via train and that it would be long gone before I got to the crossing. Ha! I was one of the first people to stop as the gates went down, and I was amazed at the number of people who kept going. I'm not about to play chicken with a train! If I had of known it would take 5 min for the train to go through, I would have worked harder to get there before the gates came down. Next year!

After the train went through, we were off like a shot. Ok, maybe not quite that fast :)

Km 1-10: 56:29 (gun time for this segment: 1:04)
5:40
5:43
5:42
5:41
5:39
5:37
5:26

Nothing interesting happened from Km 11-20, except that I had it in my mind that the hills started at about km 21 so was a bit surprised to see them at 18k. How could I not have this memorized?
Oh, and Andy, I've FINALLY figured out what part of the ATB course overlaps with Hamilton! Finally!

Km 11-20: 56:05
5:26
5:33
5:33
5:32

Like last year, I felt really strong in the hills. Andy and I run hilly routes on our tempo runs, so I know that I can push a bit there. And it's fun to pass people who are walking them :D

Km 21-30: 56:14
5:24
5:52
5:30
5:49
5:24
5:49
5:47
5:21

The last 3k after the hill feels like the home stretch. I was working hard but the pace wasn't getting any faster. I wasn't carrying water with me, and I walked through a few water stations in this section. The water stations were gong shows this year - I won't do this race without my own water again. I passed a massive butterfly about 3k from the end. It was rather windy at this point and I felt rather bad for the poor guy. Must try to find a picture of his costume - it was huge! I also passed a hot dog at some point, although I don't remember where. But he finished just behind me :D

Final chip time: 2:53 (3 min PB)
Unofficial, train-adjusted, watch-based time: 2:48:50 (8 min PB)
158/419 for F30-39
984/3330 for women

In the end, not being in the correct coral cost me a potential 5 min off my time (I'm saying a potential 5 min b/c I likely benefited a bit from the break). I was a bit pissed about it on Sun, but there are so many more important things in life to worry about. So, although my official PB is 2:53, I'll be trying to break the 2:48 mark next time :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Jes at ATB

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

Congratulations, again, on another race in Hamilton and another PB, Jes ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

eta: What a way to r&r after a race, albeit 15K for me, other than marathon wrestling session with Zack ... I think we called it a draw at the end ... ;) :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am

HCcD wrote:Congratulations, again, on another race in Hamilton and another PB, Jes ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

eta: What a way to r&r after a race, albeit 15K for me, other than marathon wrestling session with Zack ... I think we called it a draw at the end ... ;) :shifty:

Yeah, and I had to wrangle him all afternoon since Joe was working. After you guys left, we went for lunch in the food court, then went back to Copps - it was very cool to be there when it was practically empty!

Oh, and despite the course time limit of 4.5 hours, they did not start taking down the finish area until well after 5 hours, and people (walkers) were still allowed to finish until then. I'm not sure if they got medals, but at least they got to come through the finish line.

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:53 am

Congrats, Jesse! I love watching your races now. You work hard, and it shows. Too bad about the train.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Awesome race -- and REALLY consistent pacing :D You are looking great for your marathon!!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Jes at ATB

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am

Great report! Again I'm glad it worked out so well for you.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:13 am

Well done Jes!

You improvement has been remarkable!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 pm

congrats! it was great to see you this weekend!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm

If this was your 2013 race, congratulations. If this was your 2010 race, belated congratulations.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm

canalrunner wrote:If this was your 2013 race, congratulations. If this was your 2010 race, belated congratulations.

It was this year. I didn't run it in 2010.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Congratulations, your race splits are most impressive. Well done. Sorry about the train, what a bummer that was. Awesome on the PB.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Congrats again! You have been making such impressive strides in your times!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Congratulations on a great race, train or no train.

Pretty sure I was lined up right beside you in the corral.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Great race. Too bad we didn't recognize each other while waiting for the train. My splits were all just a bit off of yours with a final chip time of 2:52:42 ( Unofficial time ( minus the 5 minute train delay ) of 2:47:42. Maybe next year we should start out together and push each other to dynamite finishes!!
Congrats on an excellent race and report.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Ken B wrote:Great race. Too bad we didn't recognize each other while waiting for the train. My splits were all just a bit off of yours with a final chip time of 2:52:42 ( Unofficial time ( minus the 5 minute train delay ) of 2:47:42. Maybe next year we should start out together and push each other to dynamite finishes!!

That's kinda ironic as I am sure that I was right beside Jes when we across one another at Copps before the start of the race, Ken ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 pm

Great race and nice pacing, I did see that butterfly come through the finish those wings had to be about 8 feet tall.

Sounds like you are ready for a great marathon.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:52 pm

HCcD wrote:
Ken B wrote:Great race. Too bad we didn't recognize each other while waiting for the train. My splits were all just a bit off of yours with a final chip time of 2:52:42 ( Unofficial time ( minus the 5 minute train delay ) of 2:47:42. Maybe next year we should start out together and push each other to dynamite finishes!!

That's kinda ironic as I am sure that I was right beside Jes when we across one another at Copps before the start of the race, Ken ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

The three maniac muskateers!! :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 pm

You are becoming a Running Rock Star!!!! :D :D
Congrats on great race...sorry about the train!!! :(
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Awesome awesome splits, Jes, especially with those hills. You had a great race. I can't wait to cheer you on at Ottawa Marathon.
Carm

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:30 am

Nice job Jes!
Sucks about that stupid train.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:55 am

Who knows what impact that 5-min break had on your performance overall. For that reason, I'd go by your watch PB rather than chip time PB. Either way, it's a PB!! You're doing so well and have improved so consistently the last few years. Well done!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 pm

Congratulations! Nice pacing.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Great race report Jesse!

Your hard work has paid off, as proven in those splits, well done. I'm with La; go by your watch PB. It's a shame that they don't compensate that part of the run when the trains roll by. In Vancouver, they have mates on a major road that the course crosses, and racers are compensated when the police open the road briefly for traffic. Thankfully I was not affected by it, but it was a PITA for others that were affected.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Stampie wrote:Great race report Jesse!

Your hard work has paid off, as proven in those splits, well done. I'm with La; go by your watch PB. It's a shame that they don't compensate that part of the run when the trains roll by. In Vancouver, they have mates on a major road that the course crosses, and racers are compensated when the police open the road briefly for traffic. Thankfully I was not affected by it, but it was a PITA for others that were affected.

Yes, mats would definitely be an improvement for future years. I hope they consider it.

My coach agrees about going with my watch as my PB :D

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 pm

jes wrote:
Stampie wrote:Great race report Jesse!

Yes, mats would definitely be an improvement for future years. I hope they consider it.

My coach agrees about going with my watch as my PB :D

What was your time difference? I didn't stop my Garmin.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”