Boston Marathon 2013

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Re: Boston Marathon 2013

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I saw a suggestion online about giving everyone who started but didn't finish a finish time based on the time the race was stopped.

I gotta say, the way the BAA is handling this is amazing. I know the circumstances are different but compared to the way NYRR **** the bed last fall - its no wonder that the response is so positive to Boston and so negative to NY. It makes me want to go to Boston next year as a volunteer.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:09 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Agree completely. As far as I'm concerned anybody who was stopped on Monday should get to run, maybe for free. I'd throw in an entry for Monday's first responders and volunteers as well.

Add my agreement right here.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 am

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:18 am

Bombers were brothers, of Cambridge Mass, originally Chechnya. Surviving one is 19 years old.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 am

Came across this, you can use Google Translate. Frackin' messed up!

This is the suspect's "VK" page. It is the Russian facebook. http://vk.com/id160300242
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:03 pm

"It's a proud day to be a Boston Police officer" (commissioner's comment on the scanner post the arrest)

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby deerdree » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

I've been glued to the tv all day. I'm glad there's a bit of resolution tonight. Tears of relief over here: maybe tonight I will be able to go to sleep with the lights off.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Bonnie and I were also watching the events unfold. Most impressive that they were able to get this situation under control. I am most impressed this both the man whose car was carjacked and the man who found the suspect in his boat. Smart and immediate actions by regular folks like ourselves.

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 am

I followed on twitter and also had an online link to the Boston police scanners. Bizarre experience to hear the process unfolding. My favourite moment on the scanners though was listening to the police congratulate each other post the arrest. Now the question is, will we actually ever know the truth? In the meantime fundraisers continue. Here's an interesting one, a virtual marathon (run for peace) with all 'registration fees' going to a fund to assist in cost of prosthetics:

https://www.jennyhadfield.com/run-for-peace/

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:33 am

Sweaty bands is donating all the proceeds from their Boston strong sweaty bands as well. Www.sweatybands.com

ceileigh
Bill Crothers

Postby ceileigh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 am

bondi bands has a few boston styles too

https://www.bondiband.com/ProductDetail ... de=HB-3000

they posted on FB today they'd have a few more styles this week

and adidas has announced they are going to make the 'Boston stands as one" t shirt available internationally over the weekend

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Here's a well-written summary of the events of the week, including the impact of social media: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:04 pm

La wrote:Here's a well-written summary of the events of the week, including the impact of social media: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

Thanks La...an amazing read.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
La wrote:Here's a well-written summary of the events of the week, including the impact of social media: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

Thanks La...an amazing read.

+1

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm

I also caught part of a discussion on CNN this morning that was talking about the media (mainstream, as well as social media) coverage of the events, especially what was going on Friday.

What I don't understand is why they make Police scanners available on-line for anyone to listen to, then get upset when people tweet out info?

On Friday, CNN was reporting that suspect #2 was in a "structure" but said they didn't want to say any more than that. However all the tweets I was reading were already talking about him being inside a boat!

For the record, I think it's irresponsible for people to tweet out info, whether it's about an active/ongoing/live situation, or even the location of police spot checks (e.g., RIDE).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:08 pm

La wrote:I also caught part of a discussion on CNN this morning that was talking about the media (mainstream, as well as social media) coverage of the events, especially what was going on Friday.

What I don't understand is why they make Police scanners available on-line for anyone to listen to, then get upset when people tweet out info?

On Friday, CNN was reporting that suspect #2 was in a "structure" but said they didn't want to say any more than that. However all the tweets I was reading were already talking about him being inside a boat!

For the record, I think it's irresponsible for people to tweet out info, whether it's about an active/ongoing/live situation, or even the location of police spot checks (e.g., RIDE).

Agree.
I have a friend who's in charge of media for Kingston Police...planning to e-mail Steve this week and ask him why the public has access to scanners...I don't get it.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

Boston Marathon 2013

Postby Kelodie » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
La wrote:I also caught part of a discussion on CNN this morning that was talking about the media (mainstream, as well as social media) coverage of the events, especially what was going on Friday.

Agree.
I have a friend who's in charge of media for Kingston Police...planning to e-mail Steve this week and ask him why the public has access to scanners...I don't get it.

Please report back with his answer, JoJo. I've been wondering why we have that access.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 am

Looks like they were planning lots more ...
http://globalnews.ca/news/498514/police ... e-attacks/

So glad they were caught so quickly. Hats off to everyone involved in their capture!

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Does anyone else think it is sadly ironic that the suspect who is being treated for his wounds in hospital has just been charged with an offense that could lead to him receiving the death penalty?

The world is one messed up place.
The Summer of Eng is over.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah I was thinking they should just cut his legs off and let him spend the rest of his life in prison myself...sounds harsh but how I feel.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Kelodie wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:

Agree.

Please report back with his answer, JoJo. I've been wondering why we have that access.

I think the practical answer is that police scanners broadcast on ordinary frequencies using ordinary radios. There's frequently talk about moving to digital frequencies but (as I understand it) digital doesn't work well for anything but person-to-person communications and digital creates other problems when multiple agencies have to work with one another.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:05 pm

turd ferguson wrote:I think the practical answer is that police scanners broadcast on ordinary frequencies using ordinary radios. There's frequently talk about moving to digital frequencies but (as I understand it) digital doesn't work well for anything but person-to-person communications and digital creates other problems when multiple agencies have to work with one another.
There's no reason why encrypted digital communications couldn't be used for broadcast purposes. You are receiving encrypted broadcast data watching TV everyday (assuming you have cable or satellite TV). I expect it's just a cost issue.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:I think the practical answer is that police scanners broadcast on ordinary frequencies using ordinary radios. There's frequently talk about moving to digital frequencies but (as I understand it) digital doesn't work well for anything but person-to-person communications and digital creates other problems when multiple agencies have to work with one another.
There's no reason why encrypted digital communications couldn't be used for broadcast purposes. You are receiving encrypted broadcast data watching TV everyday (assuming you have cable or satellite TV). I expect it's just a cost issue.

"doesn't work well" was too short. I should have said "is very complicated" which leads into exactly what you said (cost) as well as reliability.

Return to “General Running Discussion”