Trails and Ticks

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
johnguy

Trails and Ticks

Postby johnguy » Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm

First off, I HATE ticks. HATE them.

I have been trail running (Ontario) for approximately 3 years and have only ever had one on my shirt that I am aware of. That is until today. I was taking a post run shower noticed one of these damn things bit on to my lag. I googled how to remove them and got it off no problem.

I know ticks are out their, and today I did not spray myself with tick/mosq (OFF Spray) repellant. So my question is, how often does this crap happen when trail running?

Cheers, and still feeling creeper'd the heck out hours later from removing this damn thing.

John

NMG
Bill Crothers

Re: Trails and Ticks

Postby NMG » Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Good question! For what it's worth, I've never had one latch on . . . or at least that I know about!

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Sun May 12, 2013 10:55 am

I wrote out this long answer yesterday, but deleted it since it didn't deal specifically with trail running, but hey, here it goes anyway!

Ticks are kind of like mosquitoes, you can be side by side with someone and they get feasted on while you get barely one bite. I've had troops in the field get COVERED in them (one guy looked like he was wearing chain mail he had so any under his shirt).

Usually they crawl for a while before biting. Most commonly, I've found them on backs, sides and on the scalp/near ears (not usually on me, whew!).

FTR I hate them too and right now is HIGH season for them. As it gets hotter out, they are around less and less. Do a good tick check after your runs, have a shower (might rinse them off if they are crawling). Bug repellant helps - light colored clothing (so you can see them) and clothes they can't crawl under.

Good luck.
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun May 12, 2013 11:40 am

Ticks completely freak me out these days as Lyme's Disease has arrived in our area.
I walk my dog offleash on trails and in the woods and do a tick check on myself when I get home...and her.
I did have one latch on to me a couple years ago that I couldn't get off...phoned TeleHealth and they advised me to go to emerg to get it cut out and take the one dose strong antibiotic pill.
Don't know where you live...but here in Kingston ticks abound...I know a couple people who have Lyme's disease...not pleasant.
Donna's advice is much of what I do.
Last edited by Jo-Jo on Sun May 12, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun May 12, 2013 11:43 am

I've never had one on myself or my dog, in spite of running/hiking in both bc and alberta. :/ maybe they just don't like us. 8)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I've never had one on myself or my dog, in spite of running/hiking in both bc and alberta. :/ maybe they just don't like us. 8)

They don't seem to like C-Moss either. In contrast...Sasha, the dog who often stays with us, is a real tick magnet!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Sun May 12, 2013 3:19 pm

I've had them on me 2X, bit once which I had to dig out. It was in Prince Edward County near Prinyers Cove...we had rented cabins for Thanksgiving one year. One of our dogs at the time poked her head in the bushes sniffing as dogs do. I thought she's gotten into a spider web as I'd actually never seen ticks before that. There had to be 10-15 on her face/snout alone. I laughed thinking they were spiders until my DW realized what they actually where. The other time we were camping at Wellesley Island NY, which isn't too far from PEC actually. We did a hike with the dogs, and did a tick inspection when leaving...not as bad a PEC, but found maybe 5 on each dog and 1-2 on each of us.

Funny you should ask this, there's been some CBC radio interviews the past few days about ticks and lyme disease in and around the city. I was running in the NCC trails off Eagleson today and wore my knee highs (compression socks) that are bright white because of the radio interviews about lyme disease. I look crazy with knee high white socks on...but hey if it works it works.

Also I didn't realize this would be the high season for ticks...thanks for letting us know. I'll now be wearing hip high white compression socks :)
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun May 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Why white? Is it just so you can pick them up with the contrasting colours? I was in the greenbelt off Eagleson today as well and just wore my regular shorts, top and ankle high socks. Now I'm sure I'll be itching all night!

Do you think they make hazmat suits in breathable and moisture wicking fabrics? LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun May 12, 2013 8:15 pm

While I personally have never had a tick bite, one of my best friends did contract lyme disease via a tick on a walk with her dog.

I would not wish it on my worst enemy. It will be 2 years this summer and she is still having energy and joint issues. Not a nice thing to have, so I would err on the side of caution and make sure you had spray/repellent on as well as some protection on your legs. The compression socks are an awesome idea.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 am

Last summer I held a trail race on the north shore of Lake Erie (blacklegged tick central), and found quite a few stowaways on my legs after an afternoon of trail marking. They were pretty easy to spot and get off.

I was concerned that I was leading hundreds of runners into a tick ambush, but I didn't hear of any post-race issues from anyone. Instead, one of the runners kicked a bee/wasp/something nest enroute, and over a dozen following runners got stung. Outdoors is the worst!

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon May 13, 2013 10:57 am

When it comes to Lyme's Disease, know that only deer ticks carry it.

But other than LD (which is non-existant in MB so maybe I'm a bit biased), I've never understood why people freak out about ticks. When you come inside and shower, do a quick tick check and pull them off. The end. They're not like mosquitoes where they fly around you for hours on end, get in your eyes, and leave you with itchy bumps.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

I think it's because they burrow (at least, that's why I don't like them ;).

I remember when we were little, my brother got a tick that burrowed so deeply that only his hind end was sticking out and it was kinda freaky (not to mention difficult to remove).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon May 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Bear with me, I have two tick stories:

I took Darby camping last Spring in St. Malo - we went through the whole tick protocol and I tried to make it fun and light-hearted "Does Mommy have any ticks?" (and I'd do a little dance so she could see my back).

Next morning, "Darby, does Mommy have any ticks?" (dance)

"Nope! Does Darby have any ticks?" (happy dance) Mom notices a little brown freckle with legs.

"Yep."

AHHHHHH! Cue screaming freak out! I almost had to pin her down to get the sucker off her! It wasn't fun or lighthearted after that!

Next story

When I was on CAP in Aldershot, we did frequent checks. When we were getting changed one of the girls noticed one on my side, near my bra strap. Dammit. Okay.

"Sir, I have a tick, do we have any tweezers?"

Nope. No needle either. What we do have is a dull pocket knife. In the back of an MSVS, the Lieutenant and a Sergeant heated up the tip and tried to get the little guy to back out. He had started wiggling, when one of the slipped and touched it with the hot metal. Now it was dead, and still in my back. No worries, we'll just cut it out.

With the hot, dull knife.

Good times.

kat00_ca
Percy Williams

Postby kat00_ca » Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks for the reminder. I'm venturing into the bush a little more often. Will definitely be doing more checks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013 Races:
Victoria Day - Watford-Alvinston Race 8K - 58.52min (first road race in 2 years but heat killed me at 5k mark, was just happy to finished the race in under an hour!)
June 2nd - Lots for Tots Stinky Toes 5k (first race for the city) - Témiscaming, QC - 31.38min (chip), 31.52 (gun); first 5k in 3 years!

July 1st - Canada Day Run 5k - North Bay, ON
Sept 21st - Great Northern Adventure Race - North Bay, ON
Jan 1, 2014 - Resolution Run 8k - Sarnia, ON

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue May 14, 2013 11:46 am

DonnaRigs wrote:...With the hot, dull knife.

Good times.

You officially take top place in why I never want another tick on me...sounds like something out of a Rambo movie.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:07 pm

I have had the little suckers on my hairy legs. I am surprised at how fast they can move. I have not been bitten yet. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Made the mistake in reading this thread...now I feel creepy-crawlies all over me.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon May 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Any time I've had a tick, I just grabbed the sucker and squeezed until its jaws opened up. Easy removal then followed.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue May 21, 2013 6:55 am

daddy_runner wrote:
But other than LD (which is non-existant in MB so maybe I'm a bit biased), I've never understood why people freak out about ticks.

They can carry a whole host of microbes that can cause amongst other things encephalitis (e.g. Powassan virus).

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/tickinfo-eng.php
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 am

daddy_runner wrote:Any time I've had a tick, I just grabbed the sucker and squeezed until its jaws opened up. Easy removal then followed.

Squeezing them can cause them to "spit" which, if they are carrying anything, is an issue.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Trails and Ticks

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 21, 2013 8:06 am

mas_runner wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:
But other than LD (which is non-existant in MB so maybe I'm a bit biased), I've never understood why people freak out about ticks.

They can carry a whole host of microbes that can cause amongst other things encephalitis (e.g. Powassan virus).

And they do live all over Canada but they are less common as you move west.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 am

Been a while since I checked in here and just getting caught up a bit (pun intended).

I have been bitten by deer ticks on 3 separate occasions while trail running. The first 2 times, it was recommended that I take the 1 time preventative antibiotic to prevent any risk of Lyme disease (since Lyme disease is known to be in this area). At the time it was said that as long as it was taken within 72hrs it would eliminate the risk. Definitely a no brainer instead of risking getting the disease &/or longer term higher meds.

Anyhow, I was bitten again a few months ago (first time in 2013) and now the Health Unit and doctors guidelines are saying that AS LONG AS YOU REMOVE IT WITHIN 24HRS OF A BITE the risks of Lyme disease are essentially non-existent.

I suppose it's possible to not know how long a tick has been attached to you, but each time I've been bit, I knew (rib, waist and quad).

So, be preventative with bug juice, wear appropriate clothing if possible, check your body after each trail run and keep enjoying the trails!

If you find one attached to you, tweezers will work, but I've found that this tool works a little better http://www.mec.ca/product/4007-573/sawy ... %2Bremover . You can scoop out the tick easier without squeezing the tick. I keep one in each of our cars so always have easy access.

If there is any question if a tick has been attached you you for longer than 24hrs, I'd definitely insist on taking the antibiotic option.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri May 24, 2013 9:07 am

Jwolf wrote:
mas_runner wrote:
daddy_runner wrote:

And they do live all over Canada but they are less common as you move west.

And Lyme Disease is not non-existent in Manitoba.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/lyme/
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Tue May 28, 2013 11:12 am

In Manitoba I would choose ticks over mosquitoes (because West Nile is becoming more common here)...

We have had ticks while mountain biking, trail running and just this last weekend while camping...I think we killed over 25 ticks over the course of the weekend. We found another 4 after we got back to the city. I just hold and gently tug until they let go. I haven't had them burrow in to the point where it's too hard to remove them. We do tick checks often...

My DH said that his uncle had a long hat pin in his workshop and every time he found a tick he'd "pin" it...said the pin was full of dead ticks...ugh!

Next time we go camping/biking/running I'm bringing a safety pin so we can just skewer them. They are so hard to kill...

And yes...this is the season!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 am

Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”