Sporting Life 10 KM

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Re: Sporting Life 10 KM

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun May 12, 2013 3:16 pm

:
Does anyone know if the race raised $20 per runner for Camp Ooch again, or if it's less this year than it was last year?

I heard $2M raised over public address system - $73 per runner. Great news.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

lorei
Tom Longboat

Postby lorei » Sun May 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Glad so much was raised!

The medals were pretty 'meh' this year and hydration at the end of the race (like last weekend) was poor. I'd rather forego medals and have that $$$ go right to Camp Ooch.

Hurrah for PBs! The windy conditions really took the wind out of me. Minute and half slower than 3 weeks ago. Shucks.

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Sun May 12, 2013 6:21 pm

QuickChick wrote:I had a great run- I am running "for two" so my only goal was not to breathe too hard, hehe.

Congrats!

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 am

AjaxRunner wrote:Also not impressed with the Glassman runs I have done this year, but today was better than the Goodlife race last weekend.

Maybe because I ran better? :lol:

44:17 PB today. Happy with that.

Congrats on the PB :D
2014 Races
Chilly Half Marathon Mar.2 - made it to the finish line
Mississauga Half Marathon - May 4
Philladelphia Full Marathon - Nov.23

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 am

DLS wrote:
QuickChick wrote:I had a great run- I am running "for two" so my only goal was not to breathe too hard, hehe.

Congrats!

Congratulations :D
2014 Races

tgilpin
Bruce Kidd

Postby tgilpin » Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 am

I ran the entire race with my daughter, although she sprinted ahead at the finish to clock 10 seconds faster! I think she had to get a faster time then her ol' mom LOL!!!

It wasn't a PB...but was easily the best race thus far. Must have been the pride of running with my daughter <3 52:57 was my chip time. The finish was very busy but I managed to get across the timing mat...although I can imagine the people finishing within 5-10 min after us were easily backed up. The police stopping runners was just dumb. However this has happened at Scotiabank too...so unforturnatly I think it is bound to happen at both of these downtown races. Unless of course they spread the start time out over a few hours which will not happen in Toronto.

The medal was cheaper then in past years, but I loved the t-shirt!!! The best one I have had at a race thus far. I too would easily forego the medal all together given the charity involved, and have it all go to Camp Ooch.

I can't really comment on the post race stuff. It was too cold out to hang around in the finish area...and really, after 10 km I only took a banana and a cup of gatorade and left.
2014 Races

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 am

I think in stead of three events that close down young street and the area around Fort York, there should be one world class event in the spring and one world class event in the fall. It is nice to have multiple events, but they end up being mediocre at best.

My wife and I won't be running a Glassman organized evnt until I start hearing positive reports. We both were pretty disappointed with our overall experience over the last two weekends. With the cost of races relatively similar, there are just much better events/races out there.

shannybear13
Johnny Miles

Postby shannybear13 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:55 am

I ran into the issues with people stopped at the finish line as well as the ropes. The end was complete chaos by the time I got there. I did my best to get out of there as quickly as possible and begin the run/walk home. Almost a PB for me .13s off...very frustrating.
2012 events:
Dublin Dash 5k - 28:04 (pb), Rock CF Half Marathon - 2:33, McFarlan Downtown 5k - 31:11, Martian Marathon (half marathon) - 2:30:44, Run for Retina 10k - 1:08 | Toronto Younge St 10k 1:03:06| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon 2:32:39| Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon 2:41:41 | Midsummer Night Run (London, ON) 33:35:85 |Oasis Zoo Run 1:08:54.6| Island Girl Half Marathon 2:38:49.5 |Scotiabank waterfront HALF marathon 2:41:xx| Detroit Marathon (FIRST FULL) 5:59:XX| Yonge St 10k 1:06:05| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon| Sportinglife 10k| Philidelphia Marahton (full)|

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Mon May 13, 2013 9:30 am

AjaxRunner wrote:I think in stead of three events that close down young street and the area around Fort York, there should be one world class event in the spring and one world class event in the fall. It is nice to have multiple events, but they end up being mediocre at best.

My wife and I won't be running a Glassman organized evnt until I start hearing positive reports. We both were pretty disappointed with our overall experience over the last two weekends. With the cost of races relatively similar, there are just much better events/races out there.

It is strange. Everyone experiences races differently. I have now run 3 Goodlife marathons and 1 half and have never had a problem with their organization. I love the course(s), i have never had problems with water stations, the medals are outrageous, and they have more post-race massage therapists per runner of any event I know. The first half is a sweet downhill (other than hogs hollow) I would recommend it as a course to PB. i'd run it again.

That being said, two very similar 10ks and Goodlife down Yonge Street in the spring seems like overkill. Not sure which 10k should go, but one of them should. Perhaps the one that raises the least money for charity?? Have not run Sporting Life, but it seems like a classic mass charity fun run. Pehraps too many runners for the course no matter how many wave starts you have. Clearly the finish line clogging needs to be fixed. Perhaps the medals should go as they seem unecessary and probably add to the clogging. I would love to see one of the Toronto marathons focus on only the marathon and develop it as a world class event. The multi-events may add revenue but don't allow the marathons to evolve.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

shannybear13
Johnny Miles

Postby shannybear13 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:55 am

That being said, two very similar 10ks and Goodlife down Yonge Street in the spring seems like overkill. Not sure which 10k should go, but one of them should. Perhaps the one that raises the least money for charity?? Have not run Sporting Life, but it seems like a classic mass charity fun run. Pehraps too many runners for the course no matter how many wave starts you have. Clearly the finish line clogging needs to be fixed. Perhaps the medals should go as they seem unecessary and probably add to the clogging. I would love to see one of the Toronto marathons focus on only the marathon and develop it as a world class event. The multi-events may add revenue but don't allow the marathons to evolve.

I completely agree. Its the same course repeated 3 of four weeks. It must also be frustrating for residence who live and work in the area. Perhaps one of them should just be relocated and seen as more of a charity run.. Might help to make the other events evolve and be seen as more "world class".
2012 events:
Dublin Dash 5k - 28:04 (pb), Rock CF Half Marathon - 2:33, McFarlan Downtown 5k - 31:11, Martian Marathon (half marathon) - 2:30:44, Run for Retina 10k - 1:08 | Toronto Younge St 10k 1:03:06| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon 2:32:39| Cleveland Rite Aid Marathon 2:41:41 | Midsummer Night Run (London, ON) 33:35:85 |Oasis Zoo Run 1:08:54.6| Island Girl Half Marathon 2:38:49.5 |Scotiabank waterfront HALF marathon 2:41:xx| Detroit Marathon (FIRST FULL) 5:59:XX| Yonge St 10k 1:06:05| Toronto Goodlife Half Marathon| Sportinglife 10k| Philidelphia Marahton (full)|

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon May 13, 2013 10:39 am

Not only is there no barriers to entry but the seemingly duplicate races are the races that seemingly have the pull with the less-than-objective elected leaders of Toronto:

- The Toronto Marathon (1995 Debut) has been booted to the spring and had finish line taken away in efforts to boost the Toronto Waterfront Marathon (2000)

- Despite all the public outrage toward the twin Marathons, road closures were shockingly approved for the Yonge Street 10K's 2012 debut on the same course as the Sporting Life 10K (2003)
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Mon May 13, 2013 12:38 pm

QuickChick wrote:

I had a great run- I am running "for two" so my only goal was not to breathe too hard, hehe.

Congratulations!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Bradsgrl
Percy Williams

Postby Bradsgrl » Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 pm

I PB'd yesterday as well (54:27 Chip) and it was my 4th time running the race. It will most likely be my last as well. Although I love the route having 27,000 runners all cram into the smallest finish line chute ever was insane. I was stopped in front of the finish line mats and did yell at runners to "MOVE FOREWARD>>>WE CANNOT CROSS THE FINISH" I also saw lots of runners WAITING for friends etc just past the finish line. Why were the marshalls not ushering these people out of there ?
I couldn't find water after the race and grabbed a banana and left. I was cold, thirsty and tires (4:45am wake-up to get me to this race)
Coming up:

05/12/13 - Sporting Life 10K
05/26/13 - Toronto Womens 1/2 Marathon
06/22/13 - Colour me Rad 5k
September - Half Marathon??? Still deciding...

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 am

a supposed addressing of the issues by the RD

http://runningmagazine.ca/2013/05/secti ... ine-chaos/

Yeah.. let's blame the new runners, forget the fact that the finish area was (by the sounds of it) far too small for that number of runners. Also, the footage of the pedestrians crossing against the runners... :-O! Wow...
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:15 am

I have to say, I'm completely mystified by these reports.

I ran it last year and found it to be very well organized with none of this chaos. There were about 2000 less people, but still....

Too bad. I'm glad I didn't do it now for sure.

The new racers should not be blamed. I really did stress to my half marathoners this spring that they needed to keep moving after the finish, as fast as they could out of the chute.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am

MINITEE wrote:a supposed addressing of the issues by the RD

http://runningmagazine.ca/2013/05/secti ... ine-chaos/

Yeah.. let's blame the new runners, forget the fact that the finish area was (by the sounds of it) far too small for that number of runners. Also, the footage of the pedestrians crossing against the runners... :-O! Wow...

His response shows me he really has no interest in improving his events. Blames the runners and feels he has done everything just fine.

His events are off my calendar, if enough other people do the same, he will be forced to change. If not, it just makes my decision making when choosing races to run a little easier.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

From someone who was in the chute working...there weren't enough volunteers there to keep people moving. You NEED experienced, LOUD volunteers to properly manage people. You need people who understand what's going on to keep traffic moving. At NCM, if you even pause after finishing, you're told right away to keep moving. It's not an issue at other large events, as pointed out by Jwolfe, so clearly it can be done, and done well.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 am

He said that they’d consider expanding the staggered start next year and would put more of an effort into creating awareness about how to proceed in the finishing area so that the congestion isn’t an issue in 2014.

In all, more than $2 million was raised for Camp Oochigeas. All of the proceeds from the race go to the camp, which uses the funds as its operating budget to provide a camp for children with cancer.

All good stuff. 20,000 runners in a 10k. Wow.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue May 14, 2013 11:41 am

canalrunner wrote:...In all, more than $2 million was raised for Camp Oochigeas. All of the proceeds from the race go to...provide a camp for children with cancer.

The main point is this quote from CanalRunner...for all the griping we do, kids with cancer (as well as their families) are having a much worse day. Nice to see so much raised for them.

Reading the article I can somewhat see the RD's point. I have been the guy who stops and meanders through the chute, and really I could have cared less at the time who told me to move. I've out grown that, but can see what he means. Although I do think he needs to accept responsibility and address it. Taking ownership of the issue and looking to fix it is the only way it'll get better. The "new runners" are not going to do that, he has to.

On the other hand 27,000 runners per BradsGirl, is a bit much, no wonder they had trouble controlling it. I personally will NEVER run a race that big, I find the 8500 in the NCR 1/2 too crowded, with only a 10k and that many people it must be like driving in Belgium...bumper to bumper start to finish.

Pedestrians, well those jerks are everywhere, anyone ever have someone run in front of them to take a picture of their wife/husband in the NCR? I have almost every race.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 14, 2013 12:31 pm

ngcaper wrote:
Pedestrians, well those jerks are everywhere, anyone ever have someone run in front of them to take a picture of their wife/husband in the NCR? I have almost every race.

Pedestrians can be a pain, but let's not forget...this race blocked off a main street for over 2 hours on a Sunday morning. At some point, you might just need to get to the other side, for whatever reason! With that many participants, there would never be a 'good' time to go!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Sporting Life 10 KM

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Also- you can't really blame pedestrians for crossing over where the road is open to the public. They could gate off the finish another 50-100 metres or so to make it less accessible.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Tue May 14, 2013 9:23 pm

The intersections that the videos of pedestrians crossing are from are at subway stations. If they needed to cross they could easily go downstairs or down the escalator and walk underground and across. There was no one stopping them or suggesting an alternative route at all.

It is a great event for Camp Ooch, but eventually it will backfire. Both Camp Ooch & SL have responded on Facebook & the main blogs, they acknowledge there were huge problems, and they want changes. Unfortunately some other people are blinded by other issues to see it. Maybe when someone dies people will be able to look beyond the "it's for a great cause" excuse.

We too are not impressed with what happened yesterday and please all be aware that we are going to do what is neccessary to enure that our "little run" that could will live up to your expectations. - John Roe, SportingLife

A woman collapsed at the finish line just before me, around 52mins, and it took almost 4 minutes for her to get medical attention. This after a girl died, and another guy almost died on course at "Run Toronto"'s last race (Goodlife). Not the race's fault, stuff happens, but it is the race's responsibility to put measures in place to at least try to prevent it.

Instead, after reading Mr. Glassman's response, I am not convinced that is even a possibility for this race. He does not think the problem is his.

I for one will never run another one of his races until I see proof these things are changing.
Last edited by O Z D on Wed May 15, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 pm

Sandra wrote:
QuickChick wrote:

I had a great run- I am running "for two" so my only goal was not to breathe too hard, hehe.

Congratulations!

Ditto!!!!! :)

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 am

canalrunner wrote: He said that they’d consider expanding the staggered start next year and would put more of an effort into creating awareness about how to proceed in the finishing area so that the congestion isn’t an issue in 2014.

Awareness? That's funny. The issue isn't awereness, it is the way the organization has designed the chute and the egress from the chute. Follow the attached link. You will see a picture of the first intersection that had live traffic and runners being held up by police and volunteers with ropes.

http://photos.mysportsshooter.com/viewphoto/18119-874-18840630/1/

Blaming it on awareness is Mr. Glassman shrugging off any responsibility.

I guess the lack of medical personnel at the finish line is also due to a lack of awareness? The girl that collapsed should have been aware and called for a medic pre-emptively, so she wouldn't have to wait 4 minutes? This is after the weekend before at Mr. Glassman's event a girl died and a man was brought back from VSA.

Mr. Glassman's response, quite frankly, is a disgrace.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 15, 2013 9:37 am

Jwolf wrote:Also- you can't really blame pedestrians for crossing over where the road is open to the public.

You can, however, blame the ones who put their heads down and didn't look where they were going!!! Those collisions were entirely avoidable.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Return to “General Running Discussion”