Jwolf's North Shore Triathlon (Sprint)

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 pm

Yesterday I did my second triathlon and my first attempt at the sprint distance. I really enjoyed this race and I'm still loving triathlon so far :-). The race was the North Shore Triathlon in North Vancouver, stating at the Ron Andrews Rec Centre.

My time: 1:33:36

Placing: 218/285 overall, 91/135 Female, 13/17 in F45-49

Splits:
Swim: 20:20
Bike 46:20 (includes most of T1 and all of T2, actual bike time: 40:50, speed 25.9 km/hr 8) )
Run: 26:57 (actual run distance 4.62k, 5:50/km pace)

Sportstats: http://www.sportstats.ca/searchResults. ... +Triathlon

Details:

Swim:
Format: 740m pool swim: 20 lengths of a 37m pool, 2 sets of 5 laps switching under the rope in the shallow end

I was in the second wave of swimmers. The waves went slowest to fastest and only a small group was ahead of us (those expecting 25 minutes or more). By my bib number I ended up randomly in the front of the approximately thirty people expecting 20 minutes. This was a bit of a mistake- as I suspected, most people who put down 20 minutes were faster than that. I tried to move back saying I was a "slow 20" but no one wanted to go ahead of me. So I ended up starting third (!) in our wave and got hunted down by the pack after the first lap. I let about 5 people go ahead of me after lap 1, and then felt more comfortable. I felt pretty good through most of the swim, better even than at the UBC tri. For the first 370m we had to go up and down the 37m pool five times, going under the rope four times in the shallow end. I tried to go under the rope after turning at the wall as I have practiced. However, this proved pretty difficult in the waist-deep water, so I just ducked under. [Flip turns were allowed—really? I am not sure how that would be possible.] I messed up the start of the swim on my watch so I was just using the time clock; I noticed I was just about 10 minutes after my first 370m. I got out of the pool and walked back to the other side to start the second half. The second 370m felt a bit smoother and I had more space in the lanes, and before I knew it I was at the stairs ready to come out again. My arms were tired and my legs could already feel the work, but I felt good overall. I finished the swim at just over 20 minutes (2:42/100m). My official split was 20:20 (the timing mat was outside the pool).

T1:
First transition was slow. I felt nervous that I was forgetting something- I know this will get better with experience. In my first triathlon we left a wet bag at the pool and changed in a change tent, but yesterday was more standard in that we had to leave everything in bike transition. I pulled on my pants and shirt over my swim suit, tried to fix my hair and broke my hair tie (with no spare), and sucked down some water and half of a gel. I made my way out of the transition maze and mounted my bike and was off. Total T1 time, estimated from watch and bike split: about 5 minutes. That is definitely something to work on for next time.

Bike:
Format: 17.6K including 4 laps back and forth on Mount Seymour Parkway

Thanks to the Dollings for warning me about setting my bike in low gear to be ready for the steep climb out of the parking lot. Once we were on the Parkway the ride was really nice. The uphill wasn't too bad but I could definitely feel it more with each lap. The downhills were really nice. Although the seven hairpin turns were very slow, I loved the 4-lap format because we could keep track of people on either side, plus it was great for the spectators. Hula girl was cheering with Foster and Andrea near the bike lap turn, and Rob was across the street from them. I also saw Thing2 on her run course three four times and shouted out to her each time (I used her real name ;) ). She was running by the end so I hope I helped. :)

Half-way through the bike I was only at about 20 minutes so I knew I was good for my target time of about 45 minutes. I don’t have individual lap splits, but by memory I was going about the same pace for each lap. You can easily see the seven turns on the bike graph from my Garmin: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/315819760 and they are all about equally spaced (the seven low points in the speed graph). My total bike time on my garmin was about 40:50, for a 25.9 km/hr pace. :) Official bike split of 46:20 includes most of T1 and all of T2.

T2: Bike-run transition was pretty easy because I wore my running shoes on the bike. T2 still took about 30 seconds to rack my bike and make my way back through transition to the run exit.

Run:
Format: 5K on the neighborhood roads and some trails off of the Parkway.

I never runs these roads, but had been warned about the hilly route. My legs definitely felt pretty tight when I first started running, but loosened up pretty quickly. I started pretty slow, close to 6:30/km, but ended up speeding up as the run progressed. By 2.5K I was just over 15 minutes (6.00/km average for the first half); and at the finish (4.62K on my Garmin) I was just under 27 minutes, for an average of 5:50/km overall. Again I lost the data on my watch so I’m going for memory, but I was happy with the run overall. I know that I can still improve quite a bit in my bike/run fitness and should be able to have a faster pace on a flatter course.
ETA: I did get the data on my Garmin apparently-- but no kilometre splits: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/317055154

Finish:
I could hear them announcing my name as I crossed the line, and I felt like a star. I didn’t know my total time at this point, but I figured I must be pretty close to my goal. I was thrilled to see my final time on Sportstats later (1:33:36, see full stats above). I came in a bit faster than my goal time: I was right on target with my swim and run, and a bit faster on the bike.

Thanks to everyone who came out and cheered and helped make this day even more fun. Special thanks to Rob for being my own personal support team. :) You rock.
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu May 23, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Good job, way to rock the bike!
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Re: Jwolf's North Shore Triathlon (Sprint)

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Congratulations, that's awesome!! Sounds like you had a great experience. Triathlons are so fun to watch, wish I was closer! Are you planning another?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Congrats! Glad you're still loving Triathlon. Will you be doing one with an open water swim this year? I will be interested in hearing your experience with that vs. a pool swim (have never done one of those - we just don't have them here).
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 21, 2013 1:50 pm

Excellent Jen. I'm so happy you are enjoying the switch to triathlons. :D (Yes, I know, you're still a runner). :wink:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Tue May 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Excellent! Sounds like you had fun!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue May 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Congrats on another fine race Jennifer! Now I'm really bummed that I was not able to cheer with Hula girl & Rob, but next one for sure.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue May 21, 2013 2:07 pm

Congrats on a great race - it sounds like a challenging but fun course!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Congrats on your first sprint tri!

You were easy to track in the pool since you were so consistent with each length despite the pool being jammed pack. More so behind you with some people forced to walk around the +25 min swimmers in the shallow end.

Nice riding too and run! It certainly looked like you were having fun out there!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue May 21, 2013 3:29 pm

Woohoo, way to go!! I'm so glad you had a good race and enjoyed yourself. Did the outfit choice work out ok in the end?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Tue May 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Congratulations, Jennifer. I guess next up is Olympic distance, eh? :wink:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks everyone! Here are a few pics (thank you Rob!):

At one of the bike lap turns. On the right is my friend Darryl as bike marshal, eyeing my left foot and worried about the pedal dragging on the ground. "Raise your left foot through the turn!" OK, maybe next time. ;)

Hula girl, Andrea, and Foster watching near the bike lap turn. Notice the words "LAP" and "Finish" written in chalk on the ground... on lap 2 I mistakenly veered off toward to the right and was in the finish lane. I quickly skooted back through the cones. No, I'm not finished yet!

At the start of the run: My hair noticeably loose... at least it was wet so it seemed to stay behind me. :)

eta: I notice the full pictures don't always show up across the screen. I'll have to reduce them down later.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks everyone! My next one will likely be Point Grey on July 28. This is the same course where I did my first short triathlon (tri-a-tri) but I'll do the sprint distance instead. No, jgore-- no Olympic this year. :)

La wrote:Congrats! Glad you're still loving Triathlon. Will you be doing one with an open water swim this year? I will be interested in hearing your experience with that vs. a pool swim (have never done one of those - we just don't have them here).

There are some in Ottawa, I guess-- none near you though?

We do seem to have a lot of pool triathlons. Even the one I will do in July is in a pool. I suspect it's easier for UBC Rec to organize it that way (this is a fairly recent addition to the tri schedule).
I was thinking about one of the Vancouver ones (Subaru on July 14 or Vancouver triathlon on September 2 with swims in the ocean), but this year they won't work out because of our vacation plans. It's too bad about July 14 because that's only a 500m swim in the sprint which would be a good intro length for me. A lake swim might be a better first open water tri, but logistically they are harder for me do. I will probably have to wait till next year to do one.

Quickchick wrote:Woohoo, way to go!! I'm so glad you had a good race and enjoyed yourself. Did the outfit choice work out ok in the end?
Yes, it was fine. :) I don't have any bike or tri clothes, so I had to make do. I had my running bra under my swim suit and pulled on my running pants and shirts at bike transition. I didn't even use any body glide, and there was no chafing. So aside from the hair tie breakage, I had no wardrobe malfunction. :) (I need to remember to put a spare hair tie on my bike next time. ;) )

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Wow, what a great race. You acquitted yourself really well and still found areas you want to improve on. You will get faster and faster at these as time goes on, especially in the transition. Congrats!
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Great job Jen -- you sound so happy!! AND already planning your next one!! I LOVE IT! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Congrats, Jen! Wow, you've really made progress in this sport, esp. on that new bike of yours. And it certainly sounds as though you are really enjoying these events. :D Way to go, girl!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

fit-kitty
Tom Longboat

Postby fit-kitty » Tue May 21, 2013 7:36 pm

SO AWESOME!!

love the pics, and your tone to your report! So obvious how happy you are!!! :dance:

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue May 21, 2013 8:41 pm

WAY to rock it Jen!
:dance: :D!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 22, 2013 7:52 am

Jwolf wrote:At one of the bike lap turns. On the right is my friend Darryl as bike marshal, eyeing my left foot and worried about the pedal dragging on the ground. "Raise your left foot through the turn!" OK, maybe next time. ;)

Yes, get that inside foot up on the turns, especially if they are tight U-turns. But it's not just about foot position, it's also about making sure that you are pushing down on that outside pedal - that's what gives you stability in the turn and prevents you from sliding out (along with proper braking - i.e., braking before the turn, not in the turn, especially with your rear brake).

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 22, 2013 7:56 am

La wrote:
Jwolf wrote:At one of the bike lap turns. On the right is my friend Darryl as bike marshal, eyeing my left foot and worried about the pedal dragging on the ground. "Raise your left foot through the turn!" OK, maybe next time. ;)

Yes, get that inside foot up on the turns, especially if they are tight U-turns. But it's not just about foot position, it's also about making sure that you are pushing down on that outside pedal - that's what gives you stability in the turn and prevents you from sliding out (along with proper braking - i.e., braking before the turn, not in the turn, especially with your rear brake).

I was going so slowly there was no chance of sliding out, but this is the kind of thing I have absolutely no experience with and need more practice. It's also one reason I decided not to wear my bike shoes.

My friend was well-meaning in his tip but I couldn't even coordinate myself to do it on the next turn.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 22, 2013 8:16 am

I only mention it because it's something that will make a big difference in your confidence on the bike, which will allow you to go faster with less fear.

Another tip for descending is when you coast, put your feet at 3 & 9 o'clock (not 12 & 6 o'clock), and hugging the cross bar/top tube with your knees helps you to feel more stable on the descent, especially if it's windy.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 am

La wrote:I only mention it because it's something that will make a big difference in your confidence on the bike, which will allow you to go faster with less fear.

Another tip for descending is when you coast, put your feet at 3 & 9 o'clock (not 12 & 6 o'clock), and hugging the cross bar/top tube with your knees helps you to feel more stable on the descent, especially if it's windy.

Thanks. :)

The second thing I already do. I still feel scared on steep downhills but Tuesday they weren't steep at all. Also the smooth pavement was a real treat- overall I felt no fear on the bike (other than slowing down a lot in the u-turns).

I should also comment that even more importantly I had no pain whatsoever in my Achilles on either the bike or run, even on that hilly run course. I did have some slight back discomfort but not during the race- only on on the ride home after the race. I'm not used to riding with a heavy pack and that was the main issue there (needed the lowest gears on fairly mild hills- thankfully I only rode about 5k of the way).

Yesterday I felt pleasantly sore but not hurt. :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed May 22, 2013 8:38 am

you looked like you were having fun out there....put K-Town Tri on your "to do" list :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Wed May 22, 2013 9:22 am

This was awesome to read, great job!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Wed May 22, 2013 10:03 am

You rocked it. Someone's addicted. :)
Carm

Return to “Run/Race Reports”