Cross-border shoe shopping

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Re: Cross-border shoe shopping

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 am

Double Bellybuster wrote:Is anyone seeing the impact of the reduced tariffs at their local shoe store? Me neither.

How much was it reduced? Canadian dollar has also sucked, could have offset any difference.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 am

18% of cost.

It was what many retailers pointed to previously as the reason why shoes with a $99.99 USD MSRP had a $154.99 CAD retail price in Canada.

It never did account for the full difference.

The Canadian dollar is currently above 97 cents USD and is above 98.5 average YTD, it really hasn't fallen off 2012 levels very far at all. One would expect a larger drop has taken place based on the exaggerated statements on the business news these days.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:45 am

18%! Wow... definitely should have translated into lower prices, even if it only applies to their cost.

I have bought exactly one pair of shoes from a Canadian retailer since my first serious runner pair, and it was only because I had a gift card... and even then I waited for a good clearance price (which was still $30-40 above the U.S. price).

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/shoe ... -mens.html

$199. :shock:

I can get the same shoes for full MSRP in the U.S. for $150 at Holabird, or I can find closeouts on the Kayano 18's for under $100.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:01 am

Similar here.

Not that I am famiiar with Holabird - and I even switched to Holabird-friendly brands, Mizuno road and Salomon trail, when I got orthotics and went neutral - Canadian Retail prices are absolutely shocking for shoes.

I will stop by Running Free this weekend when they have teir semi-annual sale. While I will buy other stuff, it will be the same muttering as usual if I go through the shoe section, something like "still $30 more expensive at 20% off - and this is two versions older."
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:24 am

jonovision_man wrote:18%! Wow... definitely should have translated into lower prices, even if it only applies to their cost.

I have bought exactly one pair of shoes from a Canadian retailer since my first serious runner pair, and it was only because I had a gift card... and even then I waited for a good clearance price (which was still $30-40 above the U.S. price).

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/shoe ... -mens.html

$199. :shock:

I can get the same shoes for full MSRP in the U.S. for $150 at Holabird, or I can find closeouts on the Kayano 18's for under $100.

jono

I just looked on runningwarehouse they are $114.97, that's quite a diff from $199 even factoring in exchange rates and credit card fees. Same shoe, same color. Guess I'll continue to by in the USA vs Canada. If we were talking a 5-10% difference I'd probably buy here, but 42.5% in this example is sad.

Actually this reminded me of the pizza cheese change as well. In my neighborhood the price of a pie actually went up, not down, despite the biggest cost being cheese which has decreased dramatically.

What gives? Sneakers and Pizza two of my favorite things that both should have decreased in costs appear to be going up.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:11 pm

the 18% reduction would be based on landed cost, not retail prices. so if a shoe's cost is only $25 then you would see a reduction of $4.50. All the other markups and costs would not be impacted by the lowering of and/or elimination of tariffs. i think people see 18% reduction and automatically assume it's off of retail prices.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm

richie-rich wrote:the 18% reduction would be based on landed cost, not retail prices. so if a shoe's cost is only $25 then you would see a reduction of $4.50. All the other markups and costs would not be impacted by the lowering of and/or elimination of tariffs. i think people see 18% reduction and automatically assume it's off of retail prices.

Many retailers often use landed cost to determine selling price with margin % of net sales targeted rather than margin dollars.

But I'm not defending it - Canadian retailers scheming to block mail order imports and protect their 150% markups through unnecessary barriers to trade is disgraceful.

This is why I am happy to support Mizuno, they did not cave to Canadian retailers.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:
It was a quick blurb on the radio about expanding the list of HST free items (beyond groceries, fines and interest) to include fitness euipment.

Just spotted this again. This plan was forgotten quickly.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:52 am

Anyone use http://www.33-off.com/ ?

I just ordered from them - they had a coupon code for new customers (nc10) that gives you 10% extra off. Two pairs of Kayanos (anniversary thing) for $250, all-in, free shipping... not bad at all. Assuming all goes well of course.

Canadian, too, so no currency/duty/etc... sorry, I know this thread is cross-border shoe shopping, but with the Canadian $ being in the toilet figured I'd share another option. :)

jono
Visit my blog!

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 am

jonovision_man wrote:Anyone use http://www.33-off.com/ ?

I just ordered from them - they had a coupon code for new customers (nc10) that gives you 10% extra off. Two pairs of Kayanos (anniversary thing) for $250, all-in, free shipping... not bad at all. Assuming all goes well of course.

Canadian, too, so no currency/duty/etc... sorry, I know this thread is cross-border shoe shopping, but with the Canadian $ being in the toilet figured I'd share another option. :)

jono

Have used them. Reliable. Found their prices are good but not great. Likely able to find cheaper shopping sales in Canada, but a nice reasonable backup--especially if they have your shoe and size.
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:25 pm

jonovision_man wrote:A co-worker suggested this to me, sounds not bad:
http://www.cbiusa.com/

CBI is terrific. Great value too.

Don't picture a dirty little shop. If you go on a Saturday, it is Wal-Mart busy.

Return to “General Running Discussion”