Forerunner 210--replaced with 10 (report)

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Avis
Jerome Drayton

Forerunner 210--replaced with 10 (report)

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:39 pm

After a few days of trying to reboot my Garmin Forerunner 210, using every trick on the Garmin website forum, and calling their customer service, I have had to come to the sad realization that my device is dead.

The unit is about 20 months old, and has been well-treated. But it is out of the warranty period, and the lady at Garmin said I have to mail it in for exchange. That will cost me 94 bucks (plus shipping and handling), and I will be supplied with a repaired or refurbished replacement. That replacement will only have a 90-day warranty.

From what I've read on the Garmin forum, the 210s are notoriously unreliable and fickle. I love the size and easy of use of the 210, but I don't want to spend 100 dollars on something that may not last a year. It seems stupid to by a new 210, as apparently, they are not getting any better in terms of reliability.

If I were to get a new kind (make of model) of running watch, I would not want something bigger or more cumbersome to use. Suggestions? Would you send go for the refurbished replacement? Thanks!
Last edited by Avis on Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Re: Forerunner 210--repair or replace

Postby jgore » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

A refurbished item with an iffy reputation to begin with doesn't seem like it's worth the investment.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 pm

jgore wrote:A refurbished item with an iffy reputation to begin with doesn't seem like it's worth the investment.

Agreed. I just re-called the tech support again, because I was able to get the screen to display "software loader", which is the only thing I've been able to get on the screen since Monday. The service guy this time suggested I let the battery completely discharge, then restart it, and see if it has a new lease on life. It might take 3 weeks for the battery to go completely dead, but I've got nothing to lose by trying that.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:03 pm

I replaced mine with a 610 and am much happier. I replaced several 205s when the rubberized buttons kept breaking. I prefer the touch screen and the metal buttons. I have had mine for about a year and a half and no complaints.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:05 pm

fe.RMT wrote:I replaced mine with a 610 and am much happier. I replaced several 205s when the rubberized buttons kept breaking. I prefer the touch screen and the metal buttons. I have had mine for about a year and a half and no complaints.

I had the 610 but had to exchange it because the wrist strap kept breaking at the attachment point. Otherwise I thought it was a great watch. Thankfully MEC allowed me to replace it for a different model- and when I did they said other people had had similar problems with the 610.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

Postby fe.RMT » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Jwolf wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I replaced mine with a 610 and am much happier. I replaced several 205s when the rubberized buttons kept breaking. I prefer the touch screen and the metal buttons. I have had mine for about a year and a half and no complaints.

I had the 610 but had to exchange it because the wrist strap kept breaking at the attachment point. Otherwise I thought it was a great watch. Thankfully MEC allowed me to replace it for a different model- and when I did they said other people had had similar problems with the 610.

I notice that the pin in my band has the tendency to slide. I have to make sure I keep an eye on it.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:42 pm

fe.RMT wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

I notice that the pin in my band has the tendency to slide. I have to make sure I keep an eye on it.

That's what happened to mine and then it eventually completely broke.

When I took it back to MEC they said they wouldn't send it off for repair- they'd just give me a new one or credit for anything else I wanted. I chose the 910xt with the hinged wrist strap.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm

I originally got a 610 (as a gift) and exchanged it for the 210. The 610 was too complicated and had way more features than I needed at the time. Now, it might not seem so daunting. I'd have to take a look. My Beloved has given me clearance to buy a new Garmin; we both agree that the repair/refurbish option doesn't seem like a good deal.

Thinking back to the Garmin forum for the 210's: Of course there is a high percentage of unhappy 210 owners there--they are the ones that post on the "problem" thread. I can't get an idea of what percentage of 210 owners are really having problems. It might be worth while for me to go talk to my friends at the running store, Le Coureur, which was so helpful with my shoes. We don't have a MEC around here.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

I am happy I noticed this forum. I have the 205 that is starting to act up. I have been thinking about upgrading to a 210. But I now will rethink my choices. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 am

If you do get a new one, have you thought about the 10? A friend has one and really likes it.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:10 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:If you do get a new one, have you thought about the 10? A friend has one and really likes it.

I just found out about the new Forerunner 10 yesterday from Hammie. It looks like a good option for me; I'm glad you mentioned that your friend likes it. Stampie told me he has a friend who's had problems with his 10 finding satellites quickly. I like that the Forerunner 10 is lightweight, inexpensive, and simple to use. I understand that I can only buy it online, not in stores yet.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 pm

I guess I’m just not meant to have a GPS running watch.

After much research, I bought a Garmin 210 a few months ago. The current pace was so erratic it was useless. Lap pace wasn’t any better. The GPS mapping told me I was running on a four lane highway miles away from where I was actually running. I returned the watch to MEC.

A few weeks ago, I ordered a Timex Run Trainer Ver. 1.0 and had it shipped from all the way from Vancouver to my local MEC. I chose this watch because it has a variable recording interval and a smoothing function. When I got it home, I read the instructions and I tried to charge it up. It was dead! It wouldn’t charge at all and the Device Agent said the unit wasn’t responding and that some kind of error had occurred. I returned the watch to MEC.

On the plus side, MEC is great to deal with and my old Timex® Ironman® Digital Heart Rate Monitor watch just keeps chugging along. Given all the problems people have with these GPS watches, I’m not sure I’ll ever own one.

“But I want one.”
“No, you don’t.”
“Yes, I do.”
“No, you don’t.”

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:07 pm

Avis wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:If you do get a new one, have you thought about the 10? A friend has one and really likes it.

I just found out about the new Forerunner 10 yesterday from Hammie. It looks like a good option for me; I'm glad you mentioned that your friend likes it. Stampie told me he has a friend who's had problems with his 10 finding satellites quickly. I like that the Forerunner 10 is lightweight, inexpensive, and simple to use. I understand that I can only buy it online, not in stores yet.

I have the 110, and hers sometimes finds it more quickly!

It is in stores - they carry it at Running Room for sure.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
Avis wrote:

I have the 110, and hers sometimes finds it more quickly!

It is in stores - they carry it at Running Room for sure.

Oooh! My car is back from the shop--I may just hop on over to the Running Room! :D
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:28 am

I have been using the Nike+ GPS watch for over a year now, and it has been great. Simple to use, simple to upload workouts and it doesn't overwhelm you with information. I have never used anything else. so cant comment on how it compares with other watches.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:40 pm

I haven't used any nike gps watch but every other distance device nike's made has sucks.... and I'm going way back to the Triax 100.

Very happy with the 310xt and the 910xt. I only really upgraded bc I wants something a bit sleeker. 910 is fantastic and with tactile buttons very easy to use. My wife has a FR10. That's okay. But can be fickle (ie turns off gps if not using it right away, and the pause/unpause is complicated - if you wait too long then it restarts +/or ends the lap).

However now that mapping software is pretty great, all you really need is a stop watch. I end up rechecking pretty much everything on gmaps pedometer; so what's really the point of the gps. It's really only useful in a new route when I want general km splits. If you run with anyone else, when you hear their watches beep and buzz, that's your indication to press the lap button.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 pm

I just got an email from the RR saying the prices are going up Saturday at midnight so if you want to get one, buy it now! The Garmin 10 is 129 now going up to 139
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Oh, boy! Guess I'll get over there tomorrow morning. Thanks!
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Got my new Forerunner 10 today at Le Coureur. I got the orange one (it's the larger model), "men's" I suppose, but it is scarcely any larger, and it is lighter in weight, than my 210. I'm charging it now; will try it out tomorrow. While I was at the running store, I got a new pair of Brookes PurCadence shoes, too! :D
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Avis wrote:Got my new Forerunner 10 today at Le Coureur. I got the orange one (it's the larger model), "men's" I suppose, but it is scarcely any larger, and it is lighter in weight, than my 210. I'm charging it now; will try it out tomorrow. While I was at the running store, I got a new pair of Brookes PurCadence shoes, too! :D

Enjoy!

Report back because Habs was interested too.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 am

Avis wrote:Got my new Forerunner 10 today at Le Coureur. I got the orange one (it's the larger model), "men's" I suppose, but it is scarcely any larger, and it is lighter in weight, than my 210. I'm charging it now; will try it out tomorrow. While I was at the running store, I got a new pair of Brookes PurCadence shoes, too! :D

score!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:13 am

Jwolf wrote:

Enjoy!

Yes, yes I am! Now my 305 seems to be behaving. :?
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

Enjoy!

Yes, yes I am! Now my 305 seems to be behaving. :?

I still love my 305 :D I replaced the strap with the quick-release velcro strap thingy and am very happy with it.

If I were to need to replace it now, however, I would consider the 10; my only hesitation is the battery life (rated at 5h). I thought I would use all the bells and whistles and toys on the 305 back when I got it, but in reality, I only really use the features that are also on the 10.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: Forerunner 210--replaced with 10 (report)

Postby Avis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:08 pm

I've used my new Forerunner 10 for two runs now, and so far I love it! The charger clips on much more easily and securely than the one furnished with the 210. The 10 comes with a USB connection cable, and no AC adapter, but one can use any AC adapter for a similar small device (other Forerunner, i phone, etc.). The 10 finds satellites very quickly--much more quickly than my 210 ever did. It is comfortable and very lightweight to wear.

The functions are basic, but all that I need. It will show time of run, distance run, pace (ave. or lap), and calories burned (based on weight and speed--no heart rate monitor capability). You can customize the screen display for running so that it will show any two of the four variables, and there are two screens that you easily switch between so that all data is easily viewed. I set my display to show time run and distance on screen one, with ave. pace and calories on screen two. Even so, the watch jingles at each kilometer and briefly displays the pace for that kilometer, just like my 210 did. You can record laps of any distance manually during a run by hitting the lap button. It has a "virtual pacer" feature which, once set to the desired pace, will cause the watch to beep if you are going too fast or too slow. I haven't tried this function yet; I figure it would only annoy me. And the 10 is water resistant to 50 meters.

Limitations: It only stores data for 7 runs, and as gnu mentioned, 5 hours is the longest run it can handle (not a problem for me. When I get up to 5 hours running, I'll treat myself to a more expensive watch!) Intervals can only be set at kilometer or mile--no other distances. There is a run/walk set-up you can use, with a maximum limit of 10 minutes each (so if you wanted to run 12 minutes, walk 1 minute, the Forerunner 10 can't handle that.) The watch has no stopwatch features.

For me, it's a just-right running watch, easy to use and easy to read. The "History" function is easier to use and read than it was on the 210. I won't have to bother deleting old runs, which was a hassle on the 210, anyway.

Time will tell how durable the Forerunner 10 proves to be.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Forerunner 210--replaced with 10 (report)

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:43 am

Thanks for the review!

After 7 runs, does it start erasing the oldest one? that surprised me a bit that it's so limited. I have the 110, and I don't know if I've ever deleted workouts - will it warn me it is full? I like to keep all my data, so I download them every time I charge my watch, which is probably once a week or so, depending on how much I run outside that week. I guess 7 would be enough for me.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Return to “Gearing Up”