Canadian Running
54%
Running TImes
15%

Total votes: 26

jyw76

Best running magazine

Postby jyw76 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am

I was wondering what people think is their favourite running magazine.

Runners World - 12 issues per year - $26
Canadian Running - 7 issues per year - $34
Running Times - 10 issues per year - $46

My daughters school is fundraising and these are the choices for running.

If you are also interested PM me or goto http://www.qsp.ca/go/E89OG44G

Thanks for your support

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Best running magazine

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

I really like Canadian Running. Great feature articles, lots of content. I like some of the columns in RW, but I often find it's a bit too heavy on the "shave 10 minutes of your PR!" or "how to BQ by march!" type articles that repeat every few months.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I really like Canadian Running. Great feature articles, lots of content. I like some of the columns in RW, but I often find it's a bit too heavy on the "shave 10 minutes of your PR!" or "how to BQ by march!" type articles that repeat every few months.

Ditto...RW changed their format some time back and I don't read it any more. I do have a subscription to CR that I keep renewing. RT isn't bad but a bit thin on content.

And welcome to RM...introduce yourself.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:13 am

RT has gone downhill since RW bought it. I still enjoy Canadian Running the most.

The best content is still (IMO) Marathon and Beyond.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I really like Canadian Running. Great feature articles, lots of content. I like some of the columns in RW, but I often find it's a bit too heavy on the "shave 10 minutes of your PR!" or "how to BQ by march!" type articles that repeat every few months.

Exactly this.

Of those three I would get Canadian Running.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Another vote for canadian running. I also like that they review canadian races and not just very far away American races.

Welcome here!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:51 pm

turd ferguson wrote:The best content is still (IMO) Marathon and Beyond.

Never heard of this one...cuz I don't have enough Running Magazines lol.

I like them all, but think Canadian Running is more relevant sometimes. I also like Women's Running.

jyw76

Postby jyw76 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Thanks for the comments. I will subscribe to Canadian Running and please feel free to either renew or subscribe through the link at the beginning.

Thanks

Jason

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:The best content is still (IMO) Marathon and Beyond.

Never heard of this one...cuz I don't have enough Running Magazines lol.

I like them all, but think Canadian Running is more relevant sometimes. I also like Women's Running.

That is the one for all those ultra-nuts, if I recall ... :shifty:

Paid for a 1-2 year subscription once ... it was like a quartly publication that came in more of a book format ...

I use to have a subscription with Runner's World, but felt that they just recycled the various stories/topics every couple of years ... and, liked to follow the shoe and gear reviews ... cancelled it, after the Canadian Running was launched, until my subscription ended last year ...

I enjoyed the Canadian content in the Canadian Running magazine mostly, as well as the new gear/shoe reviews, as well....

Right now, the only subscription that I get is the bi-monthly iRun magazine, 'cuz it's free and I am cheap ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops: that, and my Shop that I work at, gets free copies delivered .... :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jyw76

Postby jyw76 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:16 pm

There are over 500 magazines to chose from.

Check it out if you haven't already.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm just not a magazine subscription person.

I had Canadian Running, and in the past I've also had Trail Runner and MoneySense. But the magazines pile up and I don't really keep up with reading them, so I let my subscriptions go. :/
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

DLS
Bruce Kidd

Postby DLS » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Just an aside -- I had my first running article published in the current Canadian Running mag! It's the article on Niagara-on-the-Lake. ("Write what you know", eh?)

I used to read Runner's World, but every January issue seemed to be "New Year, New You!" and that got tiring after a while. I prefer CR's Canadian focus.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:27 pm

DLS wrote:Just an aside -- I had my first running article published in the current Canadian Running mag! It's the article on Niagara-on-the-Lake. ("Write what you know", eh?)

Congratulations.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Both CRM and RW have all their articles online... yeah I know and I still subscribe... idk I like having something to read on the subway once in a while.

CRM is only 7 issues a year FYI... its like 1x every 2 month + 1 trail issue.

With all mags - its very repetitive as mentioned - only so much material really. I like the personal stories - but again, are available online.

Shoe guides mean zilch to me. I'm not trading up and they don't consistently rank my shoes as the best ever. So they're not worth reading.

It's like the Car guides that have a best car every year. Well maybe last year's car from X is still better... stop handing out freebie trophies so everyone can market themselves as a winner.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:46 pm

I just ordered Cdn Running through the qsp site. On an unrelated note, they no longer offer InStyle... :( :( :(
I like Cdn Running better than RW- I enjoy the profiles of runners, the reviews of races and pretty much all the articles. Plus two of my best friends work for them. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Timely question. My kid sells the qsp subscriptions. I was thinking of finally canceling my RW and CR. I do still like CR.

May pick up Macleans which I seem to like to read on Bearskin flights.
The Summer of Eng is over.

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 pm

I really enjoy CR as well!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:48 pm

DLS wrote:Just an aside -- I had my first running article published in the current Canadian Running mag! It's the article on Niagara-on-the-Lake. ("Write what you know", eh?)

I used to read Runner's World, but every January issue seemed to be "New Year, New You!" and that got tiring after a while. I prefer CR's Canadian focus.

+1 - I let my RW subscription lapse but I break down and buy it on the newsstand on occasion and then wonder why I bothered.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 am

marymac442 wrote:

+1 - I let my RW subscription lapse but I break down and buy it on the newsstand on occasion and then wonder why I bothered.

+2 ... :D

My dad gives me a subscription to CR and has since it came out so I get mine in paper form delivered to door.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Maybe it's just me, but the OP seems like spam disguised as a poll. :?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:17 pm

La wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the OP seems like spam disguised as a poll. :?

But it's raising money for a school, so that's a good cause I think.

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 4
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:42 pm

It's someone who lives in the Beach- the link is for Adam Beck PS' school fundraising. I was happy to buy through it, knowing a few ppl with kids there. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm

I stopped wasting my money on Runner's World and Running Times. I like my subscription to Canadian Running. I do buy Marathon & Beyond if I find it on a newstand. I much prefer reading canadian content in my running magazines. I don't care who the next american Olympic hopeful is. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:13 pm

I read your article and recognized it was you right off....Well done!!

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:28 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
La wrote:Maybe it's just me, but the OP seems like spam disguised as a poll. :?

But it's raising money for a school, so that's a good cause I think.

Except for the fact that their kid will get the 40cent monkey keychain for selling 3 subscriptions :D /sarcasm

For the record, the link just takes it to the School's account, you actually have to put the individual student in the checkout for anyone in specific to get credit for the sale. If it is spam, its poorly done spam. Ha.

My kid is doing it as well, but no way I would pay those prices for running mags, fundraiser or not.
I subscribe to both Runners World and CR and pay WAY less than you get on that site.

RW, I have waited for their Twitter sale, 9.99CDN for the year. I renew whenever it comes up.
CR I bought 2 years off a Running Room promo for $16/yr a while back.

I bought a few gift subscriptions for family on some other magazines, but the ones I know are a rip off I just can not bring myself to justify.

Return to “General Running Discussion”