New North American 100 Mile Record!

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

New North American 100 Mile Record!

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 am

Hey!

For those of you old enough to remember Andy Jones setting the overall NA 100 mile record (12:05:43) in 1997, Jon Olsen showed up at our little Ottawa 24 hour race and broke it!

His RR is worth reading:

http://www.irunfar.com/2013/10/jon-olse ... eport.html
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: New North American 100 Mile Record!

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:19 am

Wow, 8 miles in the last hour!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 pm

That's absolutely incredible!!

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I still chuckle at his comment on reaching 50K in the 24 hour race:

"I came through 50k in a comfortable 3:43".

Definitely not in my league!

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:29 pm

He was moving around the track at a good clip. Looked pretty fresh and relaxed when he was done.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

RonPerth
Bruce Kidd

Postby RonPerth » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:34 pm

It was amazing to see. His report is pretty interesting. Since I saw him all the way, I could see his gait change just a little later on, but obviously the speed never changed. He sure made it seem effortless, but we knew that kind of performance could not be done without pain and determination.

It seems along the way, I forgot to send in a race report, so here it is:

A few weeks ago, I entered a 24 hr. race run by the Sri Chinmoy people in Ottawa. Its an annual event, and a friend and running partner usually runs. It sounds interesting, and I’ve been curious about just what its like in the middle of the night, when the rest of the world is sound asleep, to be out there still struggling around the track. So, curiosity got the better of me, and just for a lark I entered to find out.
Got up at 4:30, already a bad start, heated up my porridge, and headed out in the dark at 5:30 to get there by 7:00. No problem getting there or getting set up. I’d been to the place before to cheer other runners. Its an inflatable dome, a multi-use facility with soccer fields inside a 400 meter track, and there are washrooms, showers, and so on. Coming in, I was almost bowled over by the smell: just like a gym bag that’s been put away with unwashed clothes in it, the whole place smelled like that. Sue’s husband Mark was to be my crew/sherpa, as well as crewing for her, so I just got a chair, and parked my stuff by theirs. Not much fuss, the organizers have done this lots of times before, so the race starts quietly right at 8:00. After a while, the 12 hour runners start and add into the track, then a while later, the six hour runners. A big field for this particular race, but only 50 or 60 people overall, so no overload for the 400 meter track.
I was only marginally trained for this. Nothing new there, come to think of it. So I had no firm goals, but thought a triple marathon distance would be achievable. That would be 130 km, or about 80 miles. That goal was derived from having done a few 50 mile races in about 12 hours, and then having another 12 hours to add on another marathon distance, however slow it had to be. As usual for a 50 mile race, the first 50 km went fine. I had a run/walk plan of 5 minutes run/5 minutes walk. That’s what I had been training with, and I can do that for quite a long time and cover about 6 km/hr. I drank water, ate some cookies, took a few spoonfuls of rice syrup, had some chicken soup, and even had a diluted coffee. After about that time, though, I realized my stomach was starting to feel full, and I hadn’t been peeing much. So having been through this before at long races, I stopped taking more stuff in before it really started sloshing around. At 8 hours, I had a shower and change of clothes planned. This was based on Sue’s advice. She says a shower, dry clothes and shoes make you feel like a new person for five minutes, and they did. It was actually comical in the shower getting dressed, because I was cramping up. I have a routine of buttering up my toes with Bag Balm, then toe socks, then thin sock liners over them, then the shoes of course. Well when I pulled my feet up to where I could reach them, everything started cramping, and the toes would go all different directions with a mind of their own. When I let them straighten out to relieve the cramps, then of course I couldn’t reach them to do anything. Finally it got worked out, and at one point Mark came in to see how I was doing because it was taking quite a while. Even after that, I sat down for 15 minutes, hoping for my stomach to start digesting. It started, but only just, a tiny trickle, not really working well at all.
In spite of the usual problems, which are more or less expected, and most people have some variation of them, things went along. Jon Olsen (not sure where he’s from) ran his first fifty miles in 5:58, yes five hours fifty eight minutes, so he decided to go for a record and ran a second 50 miles in six hours and one minute. 100 miles in 11:59, pretty well four consecutive 3:15 marathons, right after each other. Beat a long standing north american record ; amazing to see. Some of our running friends came in to visit, which was appreciated a lot. By 12 hours, I had almost done my first 50 miles, but the wheels were starting to fall off. Some things I couldn’t even consider eating or drinking. Nothing could have made me swallow them. Other things I tried a little sip or nibble, then passed the next couple of laps keeping a garbage can in sight in case I had to barf. I was really getting hungry and thirsty, and surrounded by my own good food, also Sue’s, which I could share, lots of great food from the Sri people, other running crews with tons of stuff, and I ended up nibbling at an apple and sipping water, alternating a sip or a bite, with a lap in between. It was not the thing after going for fifty miles on foot. Other things started plaguing me: shoulder and neck pains, hot sore feet, (although no blisters the whole race), all normal actually. At one point I decided my shuffling jog was no longer energy efficient. It used up more energy, and hurt more, but was not really appreciatively faster than just walking, so I switched to just walking.
It was kind of discouraging, and really no fun at all. Just a monotonous grind. I started considering my options, and decided to drop at 100km at 1:30 am. It was a new personal longest distance for me, and not bad for an old guy on foot, so it was a reasonable point. With six and a half hours left, I could likely have walked the next 30 km. to make my next round number of three marathon distances, but I just couldn’t see the point. I wasn’t too tired, but everything hurt, I was really hungry and thirsty, there was nothing to be won, and I just couldn’t make myself believe that one number was any more important than another. So at 100km when my counter told me I’d gone 450 laps, 100km, I told her I was going for a rest, she responded that she didn’t blame me, and I called it quits with a good feeling.
Rested on one of the big cushions that the pole vaulters and high jumpers land on. There were a bunch of them in the infield and lots of tired runners and crew were sleeping on them. I couldn’t sleep, but rested for an hour then went for a shower and changed into street clothes. While I was doing it, someone came into the washroom, barfed noisily in a toilet, washed a bit, then took off back out. I was glad not be in his shoes. Rested sitting for a while, then Sue packed it in around 3:30 and they took off fairly quickly. I lay down on a cushion again and tried to get a nap, but it didn’t happen, so around 4:00 I picked up my tshirt and medal, took off and went home.
Today was snack, drink, a little movement, nap. Repeat several times. After my first nap, I weighed myself, and I’d lost 8 pounds. Grateful to have a little food, so I could take a robaxacet. Grateful for my first cup of coffee at noon. Feeling progressively better. Not doing that again; I satisfied my curiosity. Nothing longer than fifty miles for me, thank you very much.

There are a few pictures at
https://plus.google.com/photos/10565531 ... banner=pwa
first a walk around the track before the race, then a few of some people during.

Ron
coyote jogger

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:54 am

Nicely done Ron! You might not have reached one of your goals, but you ran almost a half marathon longer than your longest previous run. To someone who has just finshed their first 10K, THAT is an amazing feet (get it?)!

Of course now all you are thinking is what you could do better... For next time.

Cheers!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”