Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Wow, good for you!!
I am going to sign up for sporting life soon- that'll get me motivated. I ran today- no ITB issues but wow that was the LONGEST 5km ever!! :lol: The roads aren't great here (I'm north of the city for 2 weeks and there is a lot of snow). My iPhone stopped my timer unexpectedly so I don't know my time, and I'm glad! Haha!
I can't decide whether or not I should do the hair of the dog run on NY day. It's 9km, which is currently the farthest I've run postpartum. I took that week off, had an IT flare up on Fri, and 5km felt hard today. I'm sure I can do the 9km... I'm just not sure how much fun it'll be for me. I'll be really slow no matter what, which doesn't really bother me as that race is pretty cheap and there's a nice lunch too, so it's not like I'd just be paying to shuffle 9km. I just don't want to be super slow AND have my ITB flare up again.
I can decide that day, I suppose. My mom will be more than happy to watch Nathaniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 pm

OK, so I finally broke down and weighed myself for the first time post-baby. I'm all right with it- 9 pounds to go to get back down to my normal weight. And- all you women will get this reasoning, lol- it was not first thing in the morning, my boobs are at least a pound each heavier, and it's been less than a week since Christmas dinner. I am a terrible dieter, and I don't plan to diet, but I think that with a bit of a cut-back on dessert, and a return to my regular running habits over time, about 30-50 km/week, it'll be off by the summer. Hopefully sooner! Leaving this house where we're house-sitting, which is CHOCK FREAKIN' FULL of baked goods and candy, will help too. :lol: And, apparently when you're nursing weight starts to really come off after 12 weeks??? Did any of you ladies find that? He's 11 and a half weeks now, fingers crossed it's true, haha... Anyway I won't think about it too much until we're home. The baked goods are really delicious!!

Oh, and I don't think I'll do the Hair of the Dog. I had an ok run today, probably 6K or so on the Trans-Canada trail on hard-packed snow. It was pretty and sunny out but DAMN was it cold! 9K just seems a bit far, and logistically I just don't want to deal with the timing of dropping him off, how many bottles worth of milk to leave, how sore I'll be if I don't feed him for much of the day AND I run, etc. I think I'll go with Pat and bring Nathaniel- that way any friends who are there can meet him, and I can stay warm.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm still waiting to lose that last 10 pounds.... ;)

Everyone seems to lose weight with respect to nursing differently. I can't seem to lose the last 10 pounds, so, I blame it on nursing. :P
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes. I agree. Everyone is so individual! I remember thinking/hoping I would lose the weight from nursing, then when that didn't happen I hoped I would from stopping nursing. It ended up taking me 2 yrs to finally lose those last 6-8 lbs. :( Now, 4 years later I'm about 5 lbs less than when I was first becoming pregnant. Sometimes you can't figure it out. Good plan to just go with the flow!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:17 pm

I found that with babies one and two I lost right at the start then held on to the last 10ish lbs until they hit a year or so. This time I better get rid of that last 8lbs when B hits a year (in two weeks). Fingers crossed.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:35 pm

I lost it all right away with Owen. Most of it was fluid for me because of the BP drugs I was on. As soon as they switched back to my normal ones I was sweating out 2-3lbs per night - it was ridiculous how bad my body wanted rid of the excess water. :lol: Then I had another 10lb drop below my normal weight when he started walking at about 8-9 months. Just way too busy to eat while chasing him around the house! He was a wild one! (still is)

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:08 pm

After John, I lost nothing. After Damon, I didn't start really losing until I had weaned him.

With Mo, I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but still about 10 lb up of my ideal. However, I am happy where I am right now, and am not worried about losing anything else until she weans. I look good, especially for a mother of 3 kids 4 and under.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:33 pm

I always worked hard to lose weight, especially the last few pounds. I found with subsequent kids it was harder to get off but it did. The key was working to get it off. I did a combination of cardio and strength training. None of my kids were fully weaned and I was back at pre preg weight. My big issue is what giving birth to a 9.5lb baby did to my hips!

QC, it comes back. You are a hard worker and I don't doubt that you will have a lot of difficulty when you put your mind to it. However, I will be devils advocate here and advise you to relax and enjoy the time now. The IT flare up isn't a good thing and you don't want to do permanent damage by pushing it now.

In my running news, I've run 3 days in a row!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Good job on the 3 back to back runs!
I'm fairly relaxed... Most people thought it was crazy that I hadn't weighed myself yet. I loaned my scale to a good friend years ago and she's been bugging me to take it back. :) I think my regime will be something like buy wine once a week (one bottle!), and try to avoid dessert at home. Maybe dessert once a week too. However, dessert/alcohol is fair game when we're out or at someone's house (not a frequent occurrence!). This starts when we're home, because starting to limit junk in this house is a recipe for failure!!

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:40 pm

QC: I'd say you've got great perspective. I wish I could say I waited 10 weeks pp to weigh myself. I think it was one of the first things I did when I got home - and w/ all 3 babies!!! Not something I'd recommend! I'd like to think the 42 year old me would be more relaxed but probably not :).

The weight comes off, especially if you're active. And when you're nursing, you need the extra "softness". It's takes a lot of energy to feed a baby.

I like the 1 bottle of wine/ week plan. I should try that too :).
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm

The weight came off relatively easily for me as well - I actually dropped down to about 10 lbs below my "regular weight" about 7-8 months after having C (which was another 8 below my get-pregnant weight). I thought I would gain again once I weaned, but hat seemed to be my new set point. I was very active after having C, but didn't diet.

Interestingly, I was much smaller when I got pregnant this time around (which was surprising, considering my weight was considered to be part of why I had trouble getting pregnant the first time around), and I am gaining weight much more quickly this time, even though I'm more active. I think the body just knows what it needs!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:18 pm

Well I've run 3 days in a row to start 2014, but they haven't been great runs- I'm soooooo tired! I was dragging my ass along today, big time. At first I couldn't really see why I was so tired- he's been sleeping a bit longer lately, and so I should be feeling better, right? However, after thinking a bit I've come up with some explanations:
-I've run more consistently after a week off around Christmas, though they haven't been long or hard runs
-I have started doing core work, and while it's not really that tough, it's tough enough that I can feel it the next day
-He's had an extra feeding the past 3 days (12 week growth spurt?)... could an extra feeding make me more tired? It seems unlikely in the sense that I'm sitting on my butt while I feed him, but feeding burns calories, right? Maybe it could make me more tired to feed more?
-His sleep pattern is changing a bit- he used to wake up between 2 and 3:30, and now it's between 3:30 and 5, usually. I often have trouble falling asleep after that, so I lie there for an hour at least, usually, and I feel like garbage when I wake up at 7 or 8. Once he wakes up after 6, I'll just stay up, and I'll probably feel better. I can't bring myself to stay up when it's before 6, though! It feels like the middle of the night. :lol:
On the bright side, I've lost .4 pounds... :D

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:37 pm

I found during baby growth spurts, I was 1) more exhausted than usual and 2) ridiculously thirsty.

Making milk is apparently tough work! And tired is just my normal. I don't remember what it is like to feel rested.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Yes!! I'm drinking, like, 2 gallons of water a day!! And some wine, lol...

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby QuickChick » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm very, very happy today and just had to share!! First of all, since the 12 week growth spurt ended (it was tough but not as bad as the 6 week one- 3 days of 2 hour feeds round the clock instead of 5), feedings take 10-15 minutes! Like, SUDDENLY! They were taking 20-30 minutes before. Second of all, he's sleeping a bit better- 5am wakeups compared to 3am. If we can get it to 6, I'll be happy, and 7 or 7:30... THRILLED! Third of all, I had a GREAT run today. I did 6.4km at a 5:26 pace and that included about 300m at the start that I pretty much run/walked, as it was super icy. So the rest of the run I was probably going 5:15 or 5:20. It didn't feel hard, and I could have kept going! I think this is due to two things: running on snow in Uxbridge (the road felt GREAT today), and the fact that I slept from 10:30 last night till 5, and then from 5:30 till 8:15. It is AMAZING how a good long block of sleep can make me feel!!!! I just had to write this down so the next time I feel like I can barely get off the couch, I can look back and see, yes, there are some days when I feel human!

OH... and 5 POUNDS to go to get back to my normal weight! Totally do-able. :D :D :D

ETA... To top off that glorious day, Nathaniel SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!!!! Yeahhhh for real! He's had a couple nights when he almost did it, but this was the real thing. He woke up a couple times after 4 just fussing a bit for a couple minutes , but went back to sleep till 6:30!! I was awake from 5 on, sure he was awake for real. Fingers crossed tightly for a repeat tonight, but one that involves us both sleeping the whole time. :pray:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Glad to hear you are getting more sleep QC!!

Ok I've read online, and I've been in store, and I've tried to figure out what I want, but I am so overwhelmed when it comes to car seat & stroller choice... so can you tell me what kind you have (is it an "all in one system) and why you love/hate it? I figure my lifestyle more closely resembles that of other running moms here, than the ones of the moms of the baby forum I'm on.

Thank you!!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I have the Graco "Soho Square" travel system. I like it because the carseat is rated to 35lbs, so it delays the time till I have to get another seat. Also, it's *fairly* light. They're all pretty cumbersome, but I can put the stroller in my trunk no problem. I had originally registered for the Graco "click connect" one, as I liked the fact that the handle rotates so that you can push with the baby facing you or facing out (once they're out of the bucket- in the bucket they're always facing you). However just before N was born it still wasn't in stock, and the Soho one was WAY less money (it goes on sale- it was $100 cheaper than the site says now when I got it). I decided the rotating handle wasn't worth $200 extra, and I didn't want to risk not having it in time. My stroller has 4 wheels, which is fine for me- I can turn it with one hand just fine. The wheels are plastic, which means no flat tires, but it's not as smooth as one with rubber tires. That's fine by me too- N is out like a light within seconds of getting in the stroller- the bumpier the better, lol.
For running, I inherited a (world record setting!!) baby jogger. I haven't tried it yet, but hey if it's good enough for the Joggler it's good enough for me! I've heard people say they use the Bob as their only stroller, with an adapter for a carseat. I've also heard, though, that it's really heavy and cumbersome to put in and out of the trunk, etc. It's also really expensive unless it is your only stroller.
Hope that helps! I've also heard good things about the Mountain Buggy strollers.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 pm

I use a bucket style seat when they are wee, and have the carseat bar for my bumbleride. The bumbleride folds nicely, and I don't find it cumbersome, but I am also 5'7" and have long arms to throw it in the back to the Durango. It also fits in the trunk of a Sunfire. I have the Bumbleride Indie, my main complaint with it is it has not much underneath storage, but I love everything else about it. Oh, the recline feature can be finicky, but I'm used to it, and I think it's improved on more recent models. It steers awesomely, and is also a running stroller. It's great for tackling winter conditions, too.

Once they outgrow the bucket, I love the Alpha Omega carseat. The straps are so easy to adjust (just a click) and it can be rear facing, forward facing and then convert to a booster. I couldn't find the Alpha Omega when it was time to upgrade Damon's seat, and I hate his carseat. I have to disassemble it to adjust the height of the straps. It's a Safety First something or other.

The bucket I currently use is a Graco Snugride. Super cheap at superstore. It's adequate. I wish it had the front strap adjustment, but I have gotten used to reaching around to loosen them (to get Mo out) and then again to tighten her in.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Personally, I would stay away from an all in one or travel system. I generally find those 4 wheel strollers with the plastic wheels pretty crappy for getting around anywhere but bare sidewalks or inside malls. In Ottawa in the winter? No way. I think you're better off choosing a three-wheeled, air-tire inflated stroller and then finding a car seat that works with it for the infant days. (I know you don't need a bucket seat, but I think they're very handy).

I am one of those people who has a Bob as our only stroller. Sure, it takes up a large portion of my trunk if I drive somewhere with it, but I've put well over a thousand kms of running on it, plus many many more while walking and I've never found it too large or cumbersome. I also used the baby carrier (we had a moby and then a beco) lots in the early days (and beyond) so you don't even need a stroller when you're out and about.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Three totally different perspectives, lol.
I forgot that you actually like winter... I am not often out with the stroller (at least not yet) when the streets are very snowy. If I needed to take him somewhere, it was snowy, and I didn't have the car (would be very unusual), I'd probably use my Beco. He'd keep me warm, lol.
If you can see yourself taking long walks with the stroller in winter, you may be better off with the Bob.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:28 pm

QuickChick wrote:Three totally different perspectives, lol.

That's what I was thinking :lol:
QuickChick wrote: I forgot that you actually like winter... I am not often out with the stroller (at least not yet) when the streets are very snowy. If I needed to take him somewhere, it was snowy, and I didn't have the car (would be very unusual), I'd probably use my Beco. He'd keep me warm, lol.
If you can see yourself taking long walks with the stroller in winter, you may be better off with the Bob.

London winter is VERY different than Ottawa winter - I didn't like Ottawa winter at all :naughty:

In December when the snow usually starts, Baby*Smiles will be 8 months old. The puppy will still need walking, so a stroller than can handle snow covered sidewalks would be good. Maybe we'll go back to the store and I'll keep all of these in mind as we browse and try them out again.
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:41 pm

My stroller is similar to the BOB, but it has an adjustable handle. It was very helpful since I am 5'7" and Dan is 6'1".

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 am

FishPants wrote:My stroller is similar to the BOB, but it has an adjustable handle. It was very helpful since I am 5'7" and Dan is 6'1".

we never had an issue with the bob, and I'm 5'2" and DH is 5'11", but worth having both of you try it out for sure!

If you're going to be winter dog walking, you'll want a three wheel stroller for that for sure, esp if you go to dog parks or other grassy spots.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:21 pm

FYI I swore by my baby carrier (sling thingy). Get what works for you. Try out different kinds. It will give you options for walking . Thinking ahead....when I had baby three I had a two yr old and a seven yr old. The baby in the carrier, two yr old in the stroller and older kid walking obviously. I had enough experience with my sisters twin stroller (for her twins) to know a duel stroller was a pita.

I concur on the little plastic wheels not being good in the snow. But the big wheeled strollers are good for sidewalks, bad for trunks. By the third kid smaller and more compact was better. I actually had a slightly upgraded sling stroller (it had a basket under and could recline) but it was great for the car.

Just some random rumblings really.
The Summer of Eng is over.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:49 pm

QuickChick wrote:I'm very, very happy today and just had to share!! First of all, since the 12 week growth spurt ended (it was tough but not as bad as the 6 week one- 3 days of 2 hour feeds round the clock instead of 5), feedings take 10-15 minutes! Like, SUDDENLY! They were taking 20-30 minutes before. Second of all, he's sleeping a bit better- 5am wakeups compared to 3am. If we can get it to 6, I'll be happy, and 7 or 7:30... THRILLED! Third of all, I had a GREAT run today. I did 6.4km at a 5:26 pace and that included about 300m at the start that I pretty much run/walked, as it was super icy. So the rest of the run I was probably going 5:15 or 5:20. It didn't feel hard, and I could have kept going! I think this is due to two things: running on snow in Uxbridge (the road felt GREAT today), and the fact that I slept from 10:30 last night till 5, and then from 5:30 till 8:15. It is AMAZING how a good long block of sleep can make me feel!!!! I just had to write this down so the next time I feel like I can barely get off the couch, I can look back and see, yes, there are some days when I feel human!

OH... and 5 POUNDS to go to get back to my normal weight! Totally do-able. :D :D :D

Are you kidding?!?!? You're that fast already?? Time for me to ramp up the speed work. :lol: :lol: :lol: Great job on the weight loss too.

Smiles, I've tried both the BOB and Sara's bumbleride and I prefer the BOB. Not just because it's mine, but I feel it is weighted better and isn't as long. I did feel it to be a bot awkward. YMMV.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”