We're healthy, but we're broken

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
ngcaper
Tom Longboat

We're healthy, but we're broken

Postby ngcaper » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:29 pm

http://www.runnersworld.com/ultramarath ... ly-injured

I fall into, I never miss work, I've taken 1 sick day in maybe 7yrs now. Knock on wood I'm never sick, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a cough/cold/flu, my one sick day was alcohol induced illness. I have allergies, and non-acute injuries that are overuse and centred around my right knee (IT Band). I don't have asthma, although I have found if you say the cold/dry air makes me cough sometimes some wanna be doctor with knowledge from Doogie Howser jumps in and says I have EIA, rather than understanding it's sometimes -40 here and it's just damn cold and dry.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Re: We're healthy, but we're broken

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am

Interesting that the 2 above-average medical conditions are lung related. Now what do lungs have to do with ultra running?

Thanks for the article ngcaper!

I was out running (into the wind) on a road last year in -30C. A police officer slowed down and made it quite apparent that he did not think running in wind chill -40 was such a great idea. It was hard to argue with him as my mouth was not working well. He was convinced I would burn my lungs. I tried to explain that is was the dry air, not the temperature that can affect the lungs. Take more frequest sips of water (this also delays the mouth of the water bottle from freezing).
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 pm

all my running injuries happened on the road. I guess if you're running ultra distances on pavement you'll have more injuries. I've never been injured from running long distances on trails.

I had asthma as a kid (undiagnosed) and running has actually made my lung significantly stronger.

no allergies.

I've always been really healthy so I even though I can say that I rarely take sick days, I didn't take them before I was a runner either. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm

I'll preface this by saying that I'm in no way shape or form an ultra marathoner or even a normal marathoner!

I had horrific asthma as a child, to the extent that it required frequent hospitalization. I sort of outgrew it though and I don't think it's really an issue for me anymore. I also have terrible allergies and a brutal immune system. I catch all sorts of stuff every year and it quite often impacts my respiratory system. Chest infections and minor bronchitis aren't exactly uncommon. I also had a couple bouts of chemotherapy growing up and some of the drugs that were used there had lung toxicity issues. Suffice to say that there are days that I don't feel like my lungs are giving me 100%, LOL :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, I've never noticed that cold air really impacted me. It's usually allergies or bugs that lead to other stuff. That said, since I've started running, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it has helped my lung function improve a great deal. I can't recall ever having to take a day off of work because of running. Other respiratory issues yes, but I think those would have been worse had I not been a runner. That may sound counterintuitive, but I believe it to be true.

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm

NMG wrote:I'll preface this by saying that I'm in no way shape or form an ultra marathoner or even a normal marathoner!

I had horrific asthma as a child, to the extent that it required frequent hospitalization. I sort of outgrew it though and I don't think it's really an issue for me anymore. I also have terrible allergies and a brutal immune system. I catch all sorts of stuff every year and it quite often impacts my respiratory system. Chest infections and minor bronchitis aren't exactly uncommon. I also had a couple bouts of chemotherapy growing up and some of the drugs that were used there had lung toxicity issues. Suffice to say that there are days that I don't feel like my lungs are giving me 100%, LOL :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, I've never noticed that cold air really impacted me. It's usually allergies or bugs that lead to other stuff. That said, since I've started running, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it has helped my lung function improve a great deal. I can't recall ever having to take a day off of work because of running. Other respiratory issues yes, but I think those would have been worse had I not been a runner. That may sound counterintuitive, but I believe it to be true.

I wouldn't call it counterintuitive - with the possible exception of intense exercise in cold weather - my running might be impacted if my asthma is acting up but my asthma is nearly always improved with running.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”