Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
FishPants
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby FishPants » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:19 pm

IronColl wrote:
Smiles, I've tried both the BOB and Sara's bumbleride and I prefer the BOB. Not just because it's mine, but I feel it is weighted better and isn't as long. I did feel it to be a bot awkward. YMMV.

Me too, and I prefer the Bumbleride. I find it easier to steer :) I never noticed a difference in length.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:05 pm

We did the running stroller that was pretty much housebound (except for vacations to Thunder Bay) - i.e. we didn't fold it up often - just left it set up in the garage.

Then, we had a snap and go - just the stroller frame for the bucket. I LOVED IT.

Once baby was out of the bucket, I bought a smaller "convenience" stroller - pretty much an umbrella stroller, but, a bit bigger - I still have it sitting, not being used....if I can get it to you, you can have it.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 am

Hi Denise-

I'm obviously long past the baby stage, but I thought I'd weigh in here too. As you can see there are so many different solutions -- you may not fully decide what fits your lifestyle till you start using one of them, but I hope I can help with what worked for us....

We had a pram-style stroller (that went back to full lie-down position for an infant and sit up for bigger baby/toddler) and an umbrella stroller for the car later on. The big stroller was fine to get in and out of the car, but I mostly used it for walks near my house-- I did more walking than driving in those early years. Later on we got the jogging stroller, but there weren't as many options then and the one I had would be difficult to use as our only stroller (although even then I knew families that did). The one we had folded up but not easily, but I did use it both from the house and to take it places in the car. Not sure when you're planning on starting running, but some strollers say not to run with a baby till they can sit up pretty well (even if they have a reclining position). But you can still use the lying-down position for walks, etc.

Also I wasn't as much of a runner back then, so I wasn't really looking for a jogging stroller that I could use from the start. If I were to do this again (which I'm not! ;) ) we'd probably be mostly like Scrummy's arrangement-- one good jogging stroller as our primary stroller plus using the soft carriers, and then later a smaller fold-up stroller to throw in the car. The one that Kiza is offering you sounds good for that.

Of course later we added the side-by-side double stroller, but only for walking. But I loved it and it was like my second vehicle-- I used it much more than the single stroller at that point. My daughter was three but still napping and when I went for longer walks she loved sitting next to the baby. My brother- and sister-in-law in Toronto have a double jogger (Chariot) which they love but it never goes in the car. They do use the bike attachment with it as well.

Personally I never liked the 3-in-1 systems; we had one of the smaller infant seats that didn't click into a stroller, but was ok to sit inside of my large stroller for short transitions from the car to the mall or whatever. But I hardly used it for that. My infant car seat only went up to 20 pounds, and I was perfectly happy to get rid of it by then and get the toddler seat for the car (facing rear at first). I can't imagine the seats that hold a 35-pound baby, because the seat itself is so heavy and carrying it for any more than from the house to the car is so awkward.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Jwolf wrote:Hi Denise-

I'm obviously long past the baby stage, but I thought I'd weigh in here too. As you can see there are so many different solutions -- you may not fully decide what fits your lifestyle till you start using one of them, but I hope I can help with what worked for us....

The great stroller debate! I fully agree with Jwolf. Sad reality it that you just might not know...or you might get lucky! I didn't. I went with the Bob, which is totally do able as an only stroller. No complaints. I only got it after I didn't like the Graco one that was supposed to work for all situations. But my little one never liked the stroller much at all. And once she could walk (12 mths) we hardly used a stroller for anything except when I'd force her in to achieve my run. Good luck! There is so much you CAN buy for new babies. As someone who has come through the baby stage with a now almost 4 yr old, I vote that less is more. Good luck!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Thanks ladies!! We tried some more out in store and found a relatively inexpensive one that looks and felt right for us (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head...). It helped to have all your suggestions in my head when we were there. I also liked that it was a relatively inexpensive one so if it doesn't work for us, we will have a better idea of what we want/need if we do buy another one.

I'm finding that there are so many things that stores/people say we "need" but I'm not sold on needing 90% of the items. We have been very fortunate to have been given a few items that are gently used, and we have a crib. I figure if I had the baby tomorrow, we would need clothes to fit the baby and a car seat. But the baby's not coming before 37 weeks... right? :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Thanks ladies!! We tried some more out in store and found a relatively inexpensive one that looks and felt right for us (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head...). It helped to have all your suggestions in my head when we were there. I also liked that it was a relatively inexpensive one so if it doesn't work for us, we will have a better idea of what we want/need if we do buy another one.

I'm finding that there are so many things that stores/people say we "need" but I'm not sold on needing 90% of the items. We have been very fortunate to have been given a few items that are gently used, and we have a crib. I figure if I had the baby tomorrow, we would need clothes to fit the baby and a car seat. But the baby's not coming before 37 weeks... right? :lol:

even clothes are highly overated - newborns spend a lot of time swaddled. :P
i run for me.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:Thanks ladies!! We tried some more out in store and found a relatively inexpensive one that looks and felt right for us (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head...). It helped to have all your suggestions in my head when we were there. I also liked that it was a relatively inexpensive one so if it doesn't work for us, we will have a better idea of what we want/need if we do buy another one.

even clothes are highly overated - newborns spend a lot of time swaddled. :P

Yeah, some nice big receiving blankets. Nothing fit my kids properly for about a week, so I just dressed them in jammies.

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 pm

No baby before 37 weeks. End of story young lady.
The Summer of Eng is over.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:15 am

We don't have a ton of stuff, and we've gotten a bit as we went along. I'm glad to have a swing and a playmat- he loves them. Especially the swing- OMG I don't know what I'd do without it. It was given to me- I wouldn't have bought it before because of how big it is, but it's a godsend. My guy really likes motion! Luckily for us, my mom went a bit nuts in excitement over my nephew, so she has a bunch of things at her house that we have tried on him. Yesterday I borrowed her exersaucer- I felt like it was time for N to have more play options than the playmat and the blanket with his toys that he can (just barely) hold. :lol: He loves it! It's another one of those things that I wouldn't have bought though, and I can see giving it back to my mom in a few months when he's outgrown it (in time for neice/nephew #2 perhaps?).
Just because the newborn stage is pretty fresh in my mind...
As far as essentials, get lots of sleepers that zip up. The snapping ones are a PITA in the middle of the night. If I could design sleepers for newborns they would have zippers, feet and the foldy-over hand things! N was in sleepers a lot of the time initially. I knew it was a good day sleep wise when I would put an outfit on him instead of just a sleeper, lol. He wears a lot of track pants and hoodies with long sleeved onesies. Those are kind of our staples. I only swaddled him at night (and incidentally the Halo and Summer swaddles with the Velcro are the BEST!). He just LAST NIGHT slept for the first time arms out... yay! He will start to be in sleep sacks now, and we have a couple of those. You also definitely need lots of bibs and burp cloths, and receiving blankets to put over your nursing pillow to soak up things that come out of both ends. :) A breast pump and maybe 3 bottles are pretty essential too IMO... it was really important to me that he take a bottle so I can have a bit of freedom to go out sometimes (not that I use it all that often but it's nice to have the option). Also Pat does his 11:00 bottle which allows me to get some extra sleep. We started N on bottles at I think 2 weeks. He was feeding really well and I was confident that he would be ok, and yup, turns out he likes food any way he can get it. You need two covers for your change table pad for sure, and two sets of crib sheets. One or two hooded towels- I thought "why on earth can I not just use our towels" but the hood is really nice.
Some non-essentials that I really like... I have a swaddle blanket by Aden and Anais that is the PERFECT nursing cover. It's super light and breathable for him and it's really big. I have it in the diaper bag all the time. Another thing I've really liked is this thing by Boon- it looks like grass and it's a drying rack for bottles. You can get a flower to put nipples and the smaller bottle parts on. It's cute, and I don't like putting my bottle parts with the rest of my dishes. Not an essential but I really like it. I like the Skip Hop Pronto change station too- I'll often put the nursing cover, a burp cloth and a receiving blanket in it, wrap it up, and that becomes my whole diaper bag if we're just going out for a bit.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am

Delilah loved the swing. Dexter wanted nothing to do with it. :-P

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
i run for me.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:51 am

Denise, I have an exersaucer and I think a baby chair you can have.

Strollers/carriers. The only stroller i have liked (and I have tried a few) is the BOB. LOVE it, works well on snow and is comfy for kids from baby to bigger (G fits in it still, he doesn't go in it but he fits!). I bought the car seat adapter thingy to put a car seat on. I would also consider a chariot or wike (I really would love a wike!), they are nice and covered and also can be used to bike etc.

That being said, my youngest kid was always in a carrier, and didn't use the stroller much (except G, with the first I used it more). I have a few (ahem, many) carriers. I love love love my ergo (on both front and back, snowshoed 5k with 23lb B on my back this weekend). LOve a sling for a spring baby (less warm than a wrap, although a wrap for a January baby is awesome). I also have a mei tei that I used in the stage where the ergo was too big still and the baby was too heavy for the sling (since my babes get heavy quickly!). If you want to meet in Stratford and 'play carriers' one day, we could do that!

Edited to add- a carrier IMO is better for dog walking than a stroller (for a large dog). Not enough sidewalk room for a dog and stroller and the leash gets all caught up. Or, maybe I am just not coordinated enough to do the stroller/dog combo.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:10 am

We are being given an exersaucer, we have 2 high chairs (a 'travel booster' kind and a 'stay home' kind), we have a crib, we were given a change pad & 4 covers, along with a bag of burp cloths, wash cloths & receiving blankets (some have seen better days and won't last, others are in great condition). We have cloth diapers, some newborn disposable diapers, some wipes and creams, bibs, I have a double pump (we just need extra bags for storing). I was given some nursing pads, and pads for me post-birth. Leah and I made some receiving blankets and wash cloths, but I suspect that we will need several more. We have no toys yet, but my parents do for their house so I'm not worried :lol: If baby comes before 37 weeks we need a car seat to bring baby home from hospital. But, seeing as I'm 30 weeks (o.m.g. how did that happen?) tomorrow, if the car seat was required I'll ask my dad to pick it up - haha. I'm minimalist in my life (bring home new clothes? donate hardly used ones!) so I am going to try to translate it with baby items! Oh, and we have zero clothing items for the baby. I saw a really cute sleeper at costco last night but $7 seemed like a lot, so it stayed on the table.

Prats, I would LOVE a day to check out carriers. Would it be best for us to take as a day trip once the baby is here? I was also thinking a carrier would be easier when dog walking, of course carriers brings up even more questions on what to buy :lol: I welcome your help!

Lisa, thank you for your help :D

I don't feel worried about not having something, because I know we have a really great support system who will help us out (either like you ladies by giving some advice and offering items, or like our friends/family here who can offer in-home support as needed or stop by a store on their way to visit if we are desperate). Thanks again for all the helpful comments and suggestions!

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 am

Darn it, I jait gave away a ton of newborn clothing! But, I have two special newborn/ small things that I had a sentimental attachment to and didn't want to part with, but I know you would give them a good home!
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 am

I have a Bjorn carrier that you can have if you'd like it. I was given FOUR carriers by ppl who are done having kids! I have a Beco (the one I use, Pat thinks it's girly), a Snugli (the one Pat uses), a Maman Kangarou wrap (could never really figure it out- he always felt a bit too unsteady and it was a PITA for me to get on... now I think he's too big for it. Even if he's not, it would be super hot), and the Bjorn. I'd give you the wrap too except it's my SIL's and when she eventually has #2 she'll want it back.

PS he's JUST starting to show some interest in toys now. You absolutely don't need toys right away! I actually made some "ghetto toys" for him- folded a couple cubes out of paper and I drew stripes, designs etc in black and white on them. I hung them from the playmat and he showed WAY more interest in them than the things that actually came with it. He basically just liked to lie there and look around for the first 6 weeks, then he loved the piano keys on the playmat because he could kick at them. I'm working on getting him to grab and reach for things now. So yeah, you're good for awhile!

Definitely a smart approach to get things as you need them.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 am

Irongirl wrote:Delilah loved the swing. Dexter wanted nothing to do with it. :-P

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Keep the receipt then I guess!! LOL.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 am

Prats, get a shadow box and frame them? I'll love them if you decide to part with them, but I don't want you to part with them if you have those sentimental feelings associated with them.

Lisa that would be great! We might be driving through Toronto on February 28th - maybe we can plan a quick stop?

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:01 am

Sure, I'm around pretty much always. Just message me!

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 am

re: sleepers, I actually found the snaps ones way more handy, since you can unsnap just the bottom of the baby for a bum change, as opposed to undoing the entire sleeper. If I were designing zipper sleepers for newborns, the zipper would be in upside down.

I didn't use any of the fancy swaddler blankets - just large receiving blankets. John HATED to be swaddled. Both Damon and Mo loved it, Damon especially. His nickname for about 4 months was Burrito. I even made up a little Burrito song.

Costco sleepers are awesome. I bought each kid at least one, and was given a bunch more.

Denise, I wish you were closer, I have a TON of baby clothes in both genders! I am going to be purging soon, since my littlest is in 12m stuff.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:06 am

Oh, and booties! Booties that tie up!! Samantha made him some kick-ass ones that stay on, and he's in them all the time. Socks would come off faster than they'd go on! Initially, he had a couple pairs of sweat pants with feet, and they were great too.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 am

QuickChick wrote:Oh, and booties! Booties that tie up!! Samantha made him some kick-ass ones that stay on, and he's in them all the time. Socks would come off faster than they'd go on! Initially, he had a couple pairs of sweat pants with feet, and they were great too.

:D

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:39 am

Just getting caught up on the past few pages. It looks like we're past the stroller selection posts and onto baby gear.

STROLLER: Like a couple Ottawa mommas, we got the BOB and borrowed a snap and go. I had the SAG in our trunk for a few weeks but hated it mostly because it's been well loved and it feels like it's going to fall apart. ;) I love the BOB and got it before A arrived. For winter walks with a pooch, I highly recommend putting the baby in the carrier and wearing yak trax if the ground surface is slippery. Even with the BOB and "ploughed" sidewalks, I find using the stroller quite bumpy for the baby and difficult to maneuver. For -20C, I only walk with her in a carrier (see below) since she's warmer that way. For warmer days, I use the BOB with the weather shield.

CARSEAT: We have a Britax B-SAFE bucket, which I also love. It only goes up to 22 lb but as with all buckets, most babies will outgrow the length/height of the seat (varies depending on manufacturer) before they ever hit the weight so IMO the higher weight of a Snugride is moot since you won't likely ever ready a 30-35 lb weight rear-facing. Plus, who wants to be lugging around a bucket longer than necessary? Not me, those things are heavy!

Convertibles are great too but not so good if you end up with a preemie or very small weight baby (6 lbs or less). Some are rated to 4 lb but it depends on the proportions of the baby since the lowest harness setting might not be short enough for a smaller/shorter baby. It's tricky to buy a convertible ahead of time unless you want to gamble a bit. In most cases, you would be fine with it provided it's installed at the requisite 45 degree angle rear-facing. All of the brands are crash-tested according to federal standards so find one that fits your car and can be installed correctly every time. I have TONS of carseat related safety/brand information if you want it.

ESSENTIALS (FOR US): Other than the standard safe place to sleep, we use the following items daily or semi-regularly and they are amazing:
-Carriers (we have 3 - a Manduca buckle carrier, ring sling and woven wrap). If you want to babywear, get one that's ergonomic. It will be more comfortable in the long run and you will be more inclined to use it. If I had to use 1 carrier, it would be the buckle carrier. I'm a big big big babywearer so PM me if you want to have a long discussion on this. :) I'm happy to share some knowledge.
-Swing: A loves it and it allows us to put her down while we prep meals and eat.
-Bouncy chair: I use it when I go on my bike trainer in the basement or I'm pumping in another room since it's portable. Not essential since you could also put baby on a blanket on the floor.
-A has a fairly minimalist wardrobe for a baby girl. She usually has 3-4 outfits in rotation. You'll be doing laundry frequently and will get gifted with lots of clothes so you don't really need that many pieces of clothing. Zippered sleepers are very hard to find (at least in the winter) but I agree with QC on this point. Snaps are a PITA!
-Cloth diapers (hurray!): We're a prefold and pocket diaper family. We were committed to CDing before the baby arrived and it's really easy to do. You can use an old bucket as a dry diaper pail (we use the Nellie's one) with a wet bag. Again, I'm really enthusiastic about CDing so PM me if you want to chat.

We also use re-useable wipes at home and they are very convenient. IMO they clean better than disposables since you require fewer to get the same result especially for blow-ups. They go in the diaper pail and get washed with the diaper laundry.

SURPRISES:
-Not all babies take bottles so buy the stuff but don't be surprised if he/she doesn't take them for awhile....but keep trying especially if you'll be going back to work pretty early and are planning on pumping. We were fortunate to have no problems with breastfeeding so we started trying bottles with pumped milk around 4 weeks. Some older babies will go right to a sippy cup and there's also a cup called a Doidy Cup. I was really expecting to get a break from BFing so I could get away for 2+ hours but that's not the case yet.
-Full swaddling might not work for every baby. From day one, A wanted her hands out despite the moro reflex. She was happier that way than fully swaddled. We stopped swaddling her torso and legs around 2 months and now she uses a sleep sack.
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Nice job on the runs, QC! I'm slowly getting back into it too, with 1:1's. It's pretty neat to be running again without the baby load but oh boy, 1 min of running goes by too fast.

I dropped 30 lb at delivery and have about 10 to go. Now that I'm starting up cardio again, hopefully I can chip away at them in the coming months. It feels great to be running again. I've plotted out a "training" plan.
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 pm

carm wrote:Nice job on the runs, QC! I'm slowly getting back into it too, with 1:1's. It's pretty neat to be running again without the baby load but oh boy, 1 min of running goes by too fast.

I dropped 30 lb at delivery and have about 10 to go. Now that I'm starting up cardio again, hopefully I can chip away at them in the coming months. It feels great to be running again. I've plotted out a "training" plan.

If the 1 minute of running goes by too fast, then I'd say you're probably ready for some longer intervals! :wink:

AFM - still here, still running. Hit the third trimester, and mostly still feeling pretty good with some minor back pain (not running related).
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Thank you Carm!! I'm sure I will have questions as we go, but for the most part I'm just 'going with the flow' on a lot of things. We ended up getting a stroller & car seat this weekend. I don't know the brand off hand, it's still in the box :lol: My parents bought it for us and of the ones we tried in store, it was by far the one we both were most comfortable with (important, esp considering our height difference!). I do like the BOB, it was out of our price range and I wasn't seeing any used ones near us. That's ok though :D

We have a week or so worth of newborn diapers (disposables that we plan on using until the meconium is done). We have pocket CDs (about 35 or 40 one-size). We were given a ton of pre-loved wash clothes that we will use as wipes.

I just can't believe how soon this baby will be here! I'm at 35 weeks already!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:41 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:If the 1 minute of running goes by too fast, then I'd say you're probably ready for some longer intervals! :wink:

AFM - still here, still running. Hit the third trimester, and mostly still feeling pretty good with some minor back pain (not running related).

Cardiovascularly, definitely but I'm starting back slowly to allow my soft tissues to adapt. I haven't run since I was 26 weeks pregnant (August?) so want to start back smart so I don't break myself. :)

Glad you are doing so well, J!
Carm

Return to “The Scenic Route”