Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
carm
Bill Crothers

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Thank you Carm!! I'm sure I will have questions as we go, but for the most part I'm just 'going with the flow' on a lot of things. We ended up getting a stroller & car seat this weekend. I don't know the brand off hand, it's still in the box :lol: My parents bought it for us and of the ones we tried in store, it was by far the one we both were most comfortable with (important, esp considering our height difference!). I do like the BOB, it was out of our price range and I wasn't seeing any used ones near us. That's ok though :D

We have a week or so worth of newborn diapers (disposables that we plan on using until the meconium is done). We have pocket CDs (about 35 or 40 one-size). We were given a ton of pre-loved wash clothes that we will use as wipes.

I just can't believe how soon this baby will be here! I'm at 35 weeks already!

You sound totally set! Going with the flow is the best piece of advice I could give too. No two babies are the same and they'll do what they want! :) Bummer that you couldn't find a used BOB. After looking at new, we ended up buying a used one afterall. It was barely used and there was no wear on the tires.

We started off with sposies too for the first 2 weeks (free ones) and then only used them for night-time. I found that the increased absorbency of sposies gave me a bit of extra sleep at night. We went 100% cloth at about 2 months once we were only using 1 overnight diaper. You have A LOT of pockets. You're more than set. We have an array of small ones but have about 20 one-size pockets and that's excessive when doing diaper laundry every 2 days. With such a big stash, you can probably get away with doing laundry every 3 days. Woo hoo!

Excited to see and eventually meet Baby Smiles.
Carm

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 pm

We got some gently used CDs that I stripped (just to be sure) but they are in great condition. :D

Jesse - you are doing great! I admire how active you are! I get winded going up the stairs at work (not at home though, they are steeper at work). Other than dog walking and my short walk to get transportation before/after work, I am a sloth. You rock :D

Carm - Good for you on getting back out there (in this weather too!) :D I'm hoping it won't be long before I can get my runners on and do some 1:1s :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 pm

Jesse I meant to pm you the other day when you said you did 45 minutes of BUTTERFLY! Holy canoli!!!! Yeah you're doing great. Smiles I can't BELIEVE you're at 35 weeks already!!! That's madness. I'm so excited for you... it is SO SO awesome. It has taken me 10 minutes to type these two lines because he keeps catching my eye and smiling/laughing. It sounds like you're really set! You have a great attitude about it all too. It really is a tough first 6 weeks or so, but then I did get to know what my baby's cries meant, and things got a bit more predictable, and we settled into a bit of a routine, and it slowly got less crazy.

Those last 2 lines took another 10 minutes because the top of his head smelled so good. :D You'll love it!!!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:39 pm

And yes, going with the flow helps in many ways. Every day is different, every baby is different, and every mom is different! Depending on your personality type, though, you don't have to resign yourself to COMPLETELY going with the flow and having zero predictability in your (or your baby's) day. I had so many people tell me "oh you just have to go with the baby", and yes that's true in many ways (baby's hungry... you feed him! tired... let 'em sleep!), but... they're BABIES! They don't know anything except that you love them, and they can be taught, albeit slowly and gently. I really crave routine in my day, and it drove me batty at first to have ZERO idea about when he would nap, go to bed, etc (and I really did have zero idea for a few weeks!). I found that by being really consistent about the way I did things, I was able to teach him fairly quickly that day sleep and night sleep are different, and that the routine of bedtime makes it different from naptime. He wasn't sleeping through super early or anything, but it definitely helped. Some people hate the idea of bedtime routines, or routines in general, and certainly babies will not keep to a strict schedule! If you are someone who likes a bit of structure in your day, though, it is possible. We are at the point now where I can fairly reliably say his day is from 7-7, and once we are up in the morning if someone calls and asks us to do something, I can give "ish" times about when he will probably be eating/napping. We got to that point at probably 14 or 15 weeks. I'm sure once he starts teething, and going through his 6 month spurt, it'll get thrown off again, but he seems to come back to it when he's off for a few days. When he has off days, we go with the flow, and I know that he'll click back in when he's ready.
Just a different perspective.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I totally agree with QC!

Our schedule is generally 7-9 and so far DD knows day from night and hasn't been giving us too much grief overnight. Babies can understand routines that's for sure. For example, DD knows that a feed usually follows a diaper change so even if she's fussing for food, she'll quickly perk up and smile when she's getting her diaper changed since she knows that milk is coming. That started fairly early even if it's a basic comprehension of routine. Routine becomes trickier when you're away from home. We're still learning how to adapt without stressing out 3 months in.

I love baby smell too. DH and I are still trying to figure out what baby smell is comprised of. It's a spicy (pumpkin pie, not hot chillies) sweet smell. I love it too. Read this article. I skimmed it fairly quickly but the full text is on my reading list.
http://www.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3 ... 7/abstract

Whoa, hold the phone - scrummie was doing 'fly? That's wild. Super athlete!
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:We got some gently used CDs that I stripped (just to be sure) but they are in great condition. :D

Jesse - you are doing great! I admire how active you are! I get winded going up the stairs at work (not at home though, they are steeper at work). Other than dog walking and my short walk to get transportation before/after work, I am a sloth. You rock :D

Carm - Good for you on getting back out there (in this weather too!) :D I'm hoping it won't be long before I can get my runners on and do some 1:1s :D

I got a bunch used as well. There's such a great re-sale potential on them and it's even better for the environment. I hope that you love it as much as we do.

In the final weeks, I was only walking and swimming so don't feel like a sloth. You're growing a baby and the growth rate in the final weeks is crazy!
Carm

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Do any of you gals have some links or recommendations for good post-natal core workouts that have varying levels of difficulty? I have a bunch of yoga videos (yin, power, vinyasa) so that's covered but I wouldn't mind a good all-round strength workout that uses body weight primarily. I don't have any free weights or any other exercise equipment at home since I have a Goodlife membership and did all my strength work there pre-baby. I'm not quite ready to leave the baby with Childminding yet though.
Carm

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:18 pm

If you google "postpartum ab workout" a few come up. I have one on the computer- I'll link to it a bit later. I have an app called Fit Woman that I use- it generates a different core workout each time. You can get it to make upper body, lower, or overall workouts too. I try to do it after running... I've fallen off a bit lately though as N has awakened early the last few times I've run, and once I've sat down to nurse and relax, it's over, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:25 pm

carm wrote:Do any of you gals have some links or recommendations for good post-natal core workouts that have varying levels of difficulty? I have a bunch of yoga videos (yin, power, vinyasa) so that's covered but I wouldn't mind a good all-round strength workout that uses body weight primarily. I don't have any free weights or any other exercise equipment at home since I have a Goodlife membership and did all my strength work there pre-baby. I'm not quite ready to leave the baby with Childminding yet though.

Download the nike training club app. It has a great range of full body workouts from beginner to advanced.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:28 am

QuickChick wrote:Jesse I meant to pm you the other day when you said you did 45 minutes of BUTTERFLY! Holy canoli!!!! Yeah you're doing great.

well, the 45 minutes wasn't ALL fly! There was some freestyle and breaststroke in there too. I've been skipping the backstroke because I feel like I'm drowning - even more than I do normally!

I'm very happy to be still running and will be super sad when I have to give it up! But I will do my best to keep active in other ways - I'll probably up my swimming from once to twice a week, and will add in walking and my prenatal fitness DVD instead. With C, I did one of those things every day right up to the end, and it really helped. I really need the physical activity in the morning for my sanity - with a crazy job and a crazy almost-three-year-old, it's essential!

I'm going to take a trip to Target after work tonight to try and pick up some bigger shorts and maybe a tank or two. My regular clothes just aren't cutting it, and I don't want to spend the $$ for mat-specific workout clothes I'm only going to wear in my basement.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:32 am

The Liz Lange tank tops from Target were what I ran in, and they were $10 each I think (albeit at Target in the US). They were great and I still wear them sometimes for lounging around!
Who knows Jesse, you may be able to run right up to the end!! I had to stop very suddenly one day (seriously the day before I did 6k no problem, and the next day it was like "OW no more"). If you have a better core than me, and you almost certainly do, you may be ok. It was my lowest abs that kinda gave out (the ones that look really good on guys, that go down to the hips). Trans-something.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:11 pm

QuickChick wrote:The Liz Lange tank tops from Target were what I ran in, and they were $10 each I think (albeit at Target in the US). They were great and I still wear them sometimes for lounging around!
Who knows Jesse, you may be able to run right up to the end!! I had to stop very suddenly one day (seriously the day before I did 6k no problem, and the next day it was like "OW no more"). If you have a better core than me, and you almost certainly do, you may be ok. It was my lowest abs that kinda gave out (the ones that look really good on guys, that go down to the hips). Trans-something.

Were they technical tanks or cotton? Will have to look!

Not so sure on the abs...I have an abdominal separation already from this pregnancy, so I think that might end up being my downfall. I'm working on engaging my core while I run, which I find helps with my lower back. We'll see!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:18 pm

They were cotton. I wasn't going very far so didn't feel like I needed tech fabric! Very comfy.

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow, I am so proud of you preggo ladies and new mommies. Sounds like you are all doing amazing!!!!! Keep up the great work. Seems like so long ago that I was in your shoes. Next week my sweet baby will be 4 years old!!!

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Jesse, I can bring you some shorts and t-shirts...mine will likely fit pregnant Jesse.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am

Way to go, Jesse. I can't even do 'fly so kudos to you. If you don't manage to meet up with IG soon, I can dig through my tech clothes too. Some of my smaller stuff should fit preggo you. I'm planning to be at the pool this Saturday so can drop off anything I find after my swim if you want.

My bladder gave out before I developed any weird preggo running pains. I was shocked and it was surprisingly uncomfortable. I agree that doing something everyday is a life-saver. Near the end I was walking everyday at lunch and swimming and that was enough to keep things loose.

The last couple of days have been challenging for me with a baby that now has a normal baby sleep schedule. She's been waking every 60-90 minutes starting at 2:30 a.m. We think that she's teething. I'm going to try and hop on the trainer or do a vinyasa yoga DVD since DH is home today. I'm ready to increase my 1:1's soon. It's been a good running week even though I only ran twice.

An early happy birthday to your not-so-wee one, Andrea!
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:13 am

Thank you for the offers of clothes everyone! I'm good on t-shirts but if anyone has any tech tank tops or shorts, I would love to borrow them for a few months!

I did manage to find one tank at Target - not a workout one, but made of a microfibre, so feels good for running. I just can't do cotton in my hot basement. No luck on shorts though - there was a very limited selection of exercise clothing when I went.

carm wrote: We think that she's teething.

I feel like teething is one of those nice excuses we can use from the ages of about three months to three years as a possible explanation for why oh why our babies are cranky / not sleeping / crying / not eating etc! I swear, C was working on her two year old molars for 8 months. It's better than the alternative explanation which is just that our babies are j*rks trying to mess with us! :lol: :lol:
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:24 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
I feel like teething is one of those nice excuses we can use from the ages of about three months to three years as a possible explanation for why oh why our babies are cranky / not sleeping / crying / not eating etc! I swear, C was working on her two year old molars for 8 months. It's better than the alternative explanation which is just that our babies are j*rks trying to mess with us! :lol: :lol:

So agree with this one! I thought owen was teething from 3 months on before he finally sprouted a tooth at 8 months I think. :lol: Lately he has been complaining because his 6 year old molars are coming in and they are hurting too.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:46 am

Tori wrote:
scrumhalfgirl wrote:

So agree with this one! I thought owen was teething from 3 months on before he finally sprouted a tooth at 8 months I think. :lol: Lately he has been complaining because his 6 year old molars are coming in and they are hurting too.

That was Z too, except his first tooth came through on his first birthday. Babies drool, are cranky and don't sleep whether they're getting teeth or not!

Z was such a slow teether! He just got his 2 year molars a few weeks ago (he's 3.5)! I had forgotten all about them, until we were at the dentist and the dentist commented that they were about to come in. I had just attributed his crankiness to being 3 :lol:

Yesterday he cried for 20min because Chazz 'hit' him with his tail. Z was convinced it was on purpose :lol:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:31 am

I'm glad I am not the only one with slow teethers. John was so fast, but Damon will be 3 in April and still doesn't have some of his two year molars, and Morgan has 1 tooth at 11 months.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

C has all her two year old molars now (at 2 yr 10 m) but she still likes to tell me that her teeth are hurting and she needs some medicine so she can sleep. Little con artist!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Yes, it could be anything! I read somewhere that the teeth take their sweet time erupting but can shift through gum tissue even though you can't see anything yet. That could be an explanation for the prolonged teething period. I speculated that she's possibly teething because she's started drooling a lot, has been gumming the teething ring (she hates anything artificial in her mouth; I was actually surprised that she took it) and cried out in pain all yesterday afternoon. She had the same fussiness after her vaccines a month ago. Maybe she's just a grouchy baby and we're beginning the famous 4 month fussies early. Oh well, at least we had 3 months of pretty good sleep and I am thankful for that.
Carm

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I have a feeling N will be late. I didn't get my first tooth till I was a year old, and I lost my last baby tooth in GRADE NINE!!! Well the last one that was coming out anyway. I still have one!
Soooo not looking forward to teething. I'm trying to gather an arsenal of remedies to try beforehand- the natural drops/tabs, rings, the mesh thingies that you can fill with frozen milk/fruit, Tylenol/Advil... Whatever will work. My mom said she rubbed my gums with rye... That explains a lot, lol!!!

In other news I got to see Smiles ' belly!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 pm

And I got to meet N! :dance: he's such a cutie!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm in a rut!! I hope it's one that passes quickly, but for the past couple of weeks I've really struggled to be excited about my runs. It's partly the weather for sure. I hate getting all bundled up, I hate the footing, I hate the cold. It's partly stress about Nathaniel's weight too- he spits up like crazy and is a slow gainer. It's probably irrational but lately when I have run farther or faster than usual there's a part of me that's like "hopefully this doesn't make my milk go down". I don't think I'm going far enough OR fast enough for this to be a worry, but it's there. My weight has gone down too, which in most ways is great (I'm back to where I was, more or less), but it also makes me wonder if my milk supply is still sufficient. I've started offering him some food after most feedings in the daytime (he was HILARIOUS this morning with his oatmeal- he was licking it off his bib!), so hopefully that will help. He looks super healthy with cute peachy cheeks, is smiley, seems satisfied after his feedings (even before the food) and sleeps through the night, so he's certainly not acting deprived. Anyway. I need my little boy to get bigger and I need SPRING to come!! Off I go to make a grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, mmmmm!!

Return to “The Scenic Route”