Around the Bay 2014

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Around the Bay 2014

Postby HCcD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Uh oh .... as if I needed another ATB Race Shirt for my collection, anyways ...

fyi ...

March 21th, 2014

With regard to 30K and Relay Shirts

To our Around the Bay 30K Road Race Participants,

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret to inform you that race participant 30k shirts will not be available for pickup race weekend.

The current labour disruption by truckers at the Port of Vancouver has prevented the delivery of New Balance shirts to the Around the Bay Road Race kit pick up expo. As you may already be aware, the disruption has been in effect since February 26th. New Balance has placed a priority air shipment to its Ontario facility for the goods once the dispute is resolved and all 30k shirts will be distributed to race participants who picked up their race kit race weekend.

Once we receive the shirts, you will be advised in what manner we will be distributing the shirts to you.

On behalf of us all at the Around the Bay Road Race and New Balance Canada, we apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers by this labour dispute. The situation and goods to ship are being monitored very closely and we hope for a speedy delivery.

Yours in running,

Mike Zajczenko - Race Director Around the Bay Road Race Jon Purdy -Marketing Manager New Balance Canada

Sincerely,

Mike Zajczenko
Race Director
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Ordering cheap shirts from China / Bangladesh / Saipan and then having them not arrive is not "circumstances beyond your control"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:25 pm

turd ferguson wrote:Ordering cheap shirts from China / Bangladesh / Saipan and then having them not arrive is not "circumstances beyond your control"

While I totally understand what you're saying - I would disagree with you. At THIS point - the delivery of the shirts on time is beyond their control. Could they do a custom order with a turn around for next weekend from a Canadian company - not within their budget, I'm sure.

I'm happy with their notification to runners on this one.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:52 pm

apparently I had neglected to add my name to the list!

I'm staying with a friend from the RR this year.....no IronEntourage. :(

Meeting Place: Section 122

30K - Individual
Mr and Mrs NGCAPER
RobinandAmelia (Robin)
purdy65
GetFit
Double Bellybuster
AndyM
Annelizabeth- 6002- Completely untrained
timc
Ken B - Bib # 2169
ShinSplints (untrained)
AlfiefromPickering - Bib#: 7896
Jogger Barbie
Terrific Whatzit
Irongirl

2x Person Relay
Team 2RC1 (Jes and Andy) -- Bib #R9777 :P
Nemo & Pepper (aka, Marg & La) BIB#: R9785
Sandra and friend

3x Person Relay

deerdree
Minne Mouse (ShinsSplints girl friend)
i run for me.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:36 pm

That stupid strike has delayed my new TT bike as well... February to March, to TBA... :(

It's causing a lot of problems besides delayed race shirts, that's for certain.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Irongirl wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:Ordering cheap shirts from China / Bangladesh / Saipan and then having them not arrive is not "circumstances beyond your control"

While I totally understand what you're saying - I would disagree with you. At THIS point - the delivery of the shirts on time is beyond their control. Could they do a custom order with a turn around for next weekend from a Canadian company - not within their budget, I'm sure.

I'm happy with their notification to runners on this one.

You're right. I'm approaching this like a lawyer. As I once said to the other side "You made 11 stupid decisions in a row and then it rained. The rain did not cause the delay."
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:12 pm

I'm not ticked whatsoever at the Bay Race. I don't want an Ontario charity race to incur costs to expedite supplies because of an organized labour disruption in a another province. I'll get my shirt in April, that will do fine.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Double Bellybuster wrote:

I'm not ticked whatsoever at the Bay Race. I don't want an Ontario charity race to incur costs to expedite supplies because of an organized labour disruption in a another province. I'll get my shirt in April, that will do fine.

Yep, agree. Am happy to get my shirt later. I hope they they ship the shirts en mass to local running stores for distribution instead of mailing individually!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

jes wrote:
Double Bellybuster wrote:

Yep, agree. Am happy to get my shirt later. I hope they they ship the shirts en mass to local running stores for distribution instead of mailing individually!

I'm guessing that's their plan...since they didn't say they'd mail them when they arrive.
i run for me.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:26 pm

It'll be interesting to see how they resolve this. There's no way they could spend a couple hundred thousand dollars (and hundreds of man-hours) shipping shirts individually.

It'd be a really good traffic generating partnership for someone like The Running Room to distribute the shirts locally, but some stores in Toronto would then be dealing with thousands of shirts and it would swamp their stores.

My guess is they just have a "come get your shirt" day somewhere in Hamilton.

Since that race draws a ton of beginner runners, I think they're going to get a heavy "I want my shirt!" feedback. Tough situation.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 pm

As far as I am aware, they have only posted this on FB and have yet to inform the 10, 000+ participants in the 30k and Relays ... I suspect that they are just waiting to the last minute before sending out the final email update next week, and hoping to have finalized some sort of logistical option to this issue ...

Eta: Sure is going to feel weird next year, as the race falls on April 3rd in 2015 ..... and, not in the month of March ... : :what:

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:29 pm

HCcD wrote:As far as I am aware, they have only posted this on FB and have yet to inform the 10, 000+ participants in the 30k and Relays ... I suspect that they are just waiting to the last minute before sending out the final email update next week, and hoping to have finalized some sort of logistical option to this issue ...

Andy, maybe the email went to your spam folder or something. I received one about the shirt issue on Friday afternoon.
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 am

Just a little weather check! :dance:

Sunday, Mar 30

Updated: Mar 24, 2014, 5:13am Local Time

Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the low 30s.

Day Mar 30

Partly Cloudy
43°FHigh

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:20%Wind:WNW at 9 mph Humidity:67%
UV Index:5 - ModerateSunrise:7:03 am
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 am

purdy65 wrote:Just a little weather check! :dance:

Sunday, Mar 30

Day Mar 30

Partly Cloudy
43°FHigh

Partly Cloudy

ONLY in Canada and/or If you are a runner in Spring ... would you be :dance: :dance: :dance: to see 30F to 40F as awesome temperatures ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 am

8C is perfect! That's 5 degrees warmer than we ran in Hamilton, and I thought that was pretty good (except for the wind).

Thinking about my 6 years running ATB, and I can only think of bad conditions once - and that was only for the first half of the race (2008 I think)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

purdy65 wrote:Just a little weather check! :dance:

Sunday, Mar 30

Day Mar 30

Partly Cloudy
43°FHigh

Partly Cloudy

What weather service are you checking that posts metrics in Imperial rather than metric?? :lol: I can generally figure out what 40F feels like, but I have no idea what 9mph wind is like.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 am

purdy65 wrote:8C is perfect! That's 5 degrees warmer than we ran in Hamilton, and I thought that was pretty good (except for the wind).

Thinking about my 6 years running ATB, and I can only think of bad conditions once - and that was only for the first half of the race (2008 I think)

AccuWeather calls for a high of 11C on Sunday and low of 8C, so, at least they are consistent ... :P

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:31 am

Weather.com

I also saw the 8C/partly cloudy on CityTV this morning

Also, the wind would translate to about 20KMH no? Which would be OK so long as it was not gusty.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 am

It is going to be my slowest ATB to date, so I am certainly hoping it is at least 5. Never felt so completely untrained- well except for vulture bait that one year. That is an ultra so that is different.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 am

Weather network says high of 5C on Sunday (low of -1C) with 15kph winds from the SW. The hilly part through Burlington goes south and west, so that's where we could face head winds (though it's mostly sheltered, except for the section on Plains Rd.). The rest of the time it will be a cross wind.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 am

Anyone seen the changes to this year's course, in the first bit of the race ??

http://www.aroundthebayroadrace.com/ima ... 30kmap.pdf[url][/url]

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 am

Yes, it's to avoid the train tracks that people got held up at in previous years.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:07 am

HCcD wrote:
Eta: Sure is going to feel weird next year, as the race falls on April 3rd in 2015 ..... and, not in the month of March ... : :what:

That is strange! Is it because of where Easter falls? I'm contemplating a return next year!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:
HCcD wrote:

That is strange! Is it because of where Easter falls? I'm contemplating a return next year!

Oops, I messed up .. It is March 29th in 2015 ... and, April 3rd in 2016 ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops:

And, Good Friday / Easter Weekend in 2016 falls on March 25-28th ...

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 am

La wrote:...I have no idea what 9mph wind is like.

9 miles is approx. 14.5K - forecasted wind of 14.5 kph.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “General Running Discussion”