Compression socks

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Compression socks

Postby Dr. S » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

My shinsplints started to bug me after I tried to increase my mileage for a spring half (which I have decided no to run, trying to be smarter in 2014... :wink: )

I started running with compression socks this week after Spirit suggested it to me in a PM.

I've never run with those before and it feels weird, my calves are really tight at first and running feels hard. I've noticed that my pace was better the last 2 runs with the compression socks (maybe why the runs were hard lol).

Anyway, I guess I just want to be sure it's normal calf tightness I'm feeling with these socks and it is normal. If it is normal, does it go away?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

ps bought a package at Sport Expert and there were some 'recovery' socks in there too, been wearing them after tae-boxe and feeling like I recover quickly...
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: Compression socks

Postby eme » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:37 pm

I haven't run in my compression socks (I have CEP brand ones) but they are awesome for recovery and travel. You will feel the socks' pressure, if you don't they are too big. Is this the tightness you are feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:57 pm

I definitely feel the tightness, maybe it's just that. I'm not used to it. The guy at the store measure my calf so I feel pretty confident that I got the right size. Thanks Colleen!!
Sonia

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:18 pm

I have been wearimg compression socks, since forever, before, during and after and have found that it helped to delay the fatigue to my lower body ... though, have since been wearing calf sleeves, as I can wear it multiple times before washing vs only wear my compression socks only once between wash ..

Having said that, recent studies now suggest that compression socks do not really support those claims during activity, and may be more of a placebo effect .... Regardless, I believe it has helped me ,,,

As for your shinsplints, you may want to find the root cause of it, and not just mask it with compression socks to get you through your run .... perhaps, wrong shoes? Old shoes? Muscular imbalances, etc?? Massage, ART treatmenta?

Until you find out it's cause, it may continue to persist and result in stress fracture, from what I have heard and read ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:56 pm

I am mixed on these. They can feel good for recovery, but I do not like wearing them for running. I feel like they prevent my calves from relaxing into a natural state and it makes my running worse.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:02 am

fwiw, after the shin splints went away, I found I don't like the compression that much. But getting over the shin splints they did help.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 am

That's good- maybe it's a good temporary fix.
I didn't try them for shin splits - only for my calf and Achilles issues.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks everyone, I will continue to run with them and see how it goes.

I have lowered my mileage so that will also help. Just overcoming a stress fracture I really don't want to go back there again. I've had my running gait assessed etc. so no more money will be spent on why this is happening since nobody knows!
Sonia

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Spirit wrote:fwiw, after the shin splints went away, I found I don't like the compression that much. But getting over the shin splints they did help.

+1
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm a little late to the dance, but here's my two cents. :lol:

I've just recently started to use compression sleeves for my calves and for me I found they have helped. I got my sleeves from the Sugoi outlet sale last November with the intention to wear them during longer training runs and racing in longer distances; such as half’s and up. Prior I found my legs/calves were getting tired, which I felt was hindering my pace. I figured a lighter compression would assist in my calves feeling fatigued. So I purchased a pair that was once size up from what was recommended for me. I’ve warn them for two races since purchasing them (The First Half and the 15K at Birch Bay) and I feel they greatly helped me out. My post recovery was shorter when I wore the sleeves.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:51 am

Good luck Doc!
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

Return to “Gearing Up”