New runners needed post-baby

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
carm
Bill Crothers

New runners needed post-baby

Postby carm » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

After my first post-baby spring run in my old Kinvara 2's, I've noticed that my longer index toe (left foot) is getting stubbed again since it appears that my feet have remained large after having a baby. I had this same problem with other shoes like the Brooks Glycerins (huge toe box - maybe too big) and Saucony Rides. I didn't have this problem over the winter when I was running in my trail shoes (Saucony Peregrines). If you had this problem post-partum, did you just go up a 1/2 size or switch to a different shoe altogether with a bigger toe box? I hate problem-solving new shoes but it looks like I'll have to since I don't want to lose this toenail again. :?
Carm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: New runners needed post-baby

Postby Jwolf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 pm

My feet were about a half-size bigger post-partum so I just went up in size of my old shoes. But back then I wasn't nearly as much of a runner as I am now and I wasn't as picky about my shoe choice as I am now. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:34 am

I think other-Jesse had issues with her feet going up a size after baby.

I didn't have this issue, but I think your question is more generally about shoe-fitting, and less about post-baby. I have toe issues, since my feet are V shaped (narrow heel, wide across the toes), and I find it depends on the shoe. Generally, a larger size doesn't work for me, because it introduces other issues (heel slipping, foot sliding forward), so I need to either go to a wide width or a shoe with a larger toe box. If you're having this issue with the shorter distances you're running now, it will likely only get worse as you increase distance - for example, I can wear the Mizuno Wave Rider no problem up to about 12-15 km. Beyond that, I get crazy blister problems.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm

True enough Scrummie. I used to be able to use these shoes just fine to 15k's. That's why I have a brand new back-up pair in my closet. I can still use them for strength workouts and walks but runs are out of the question. My toe is still sore today. I have an old pair of Kinvara 3's so I might try on a new pair at a local store to see how they feel. I found the 2's to be fine pre-baby but now that my feet are bigger, they aren't working out. There is a big fit difference between the 2 and the 3. I am also going to look into my old Nimbuses. They were my workhorse shoe in 2012 when I was doing a lot of run mileage.
Carm

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:41 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I think other-Jesse had issues with her feet going up a size after baby.

Yup!

I actually borrowed cast-offs from AndyM for awhile before I committed to buying anything new (her feet are just a bit bigger than mine). I eventually went up a 1/2 size, but I think I also switched shoe models at the same time b/c my old ones were discontinued around the same time. 4 years later, my feet are still 1/2 size bigger than pre-pregnancy.

If you need shoe help, the guys at Solefit are awesome. Not sure if you've been there before?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:00 pm

When I worked at the RR, I always warned pregnant women that their feet would get larger and, in most cases, stay that way. Occasionally, one would say her feet were back to the pre-pregnancy size, but that was rare. The increase was usually 1/2 to a full size.

One woman with tiny feet was looking forward to her feet getting larger, to make it easier to buy shoes without having to resort to kids' sizes. Wouldn't you know, she had a preemie... before her feet got larger. :lol:

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 pm

jgore wrote:When I worked at the RR, I always warned pregnant women that their feet would get larger and, in most cases, stay that way. Occasionally, one would say her feet were back to the pre-pregnancy size, but that was rare. The increase was usually 1/2 to a full size.

One woman with tiny feet was looking forward to her feet getting larger, to make it easier to buy shoes without having to resort to kids' sizes. Wouldn't you know, she had a preemie... before her feet got larger. :lol:

Thank you, everyone!

I went to Solefit a couple of years ago and got my shoe list. A couple of them didn't work for me - i.e. Rides and Glycerins. I will go to Sports4 or Bush to check out the biggers versions of the shoes that work for me. UGH, as if I need to try on size 10.5's! :shock: :-?
Carm

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 pm

Good luck carm! I am now a size 11. It's such a pain since stores don't carry a lot of pairs of the large sizes so they almost always have to order them in for me- even just to try on.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:23 am

My feet never got smaller until I was post menopausal! I used to take a knife and cut out toe holes from my shoes so that I could wear shoes that basically fit, but reduce the pressure on certain toes. (It was always the forth toe on each foot for some reason). It worked quite well but I never felt right taking a knife to my new shoes so used to suffer until they looked at least dirty.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

The kinvaras do come in wide, but I've never seen them in local stores - i got my pair online.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Return to “Gearing Up”