Limberlost challenge

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Limberlost challenge

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:46 am

Oh dear... The enablers at my running room have talked me into this! I'm only doing the 14k though!

My first trail race! So excited!

July 12... Come one come all!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Limberlost challenge

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:56 am

And that's how it starts!! :lol:
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:22 am

Oh that's exciting Lisa!!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am

That is an awesomely gorgeous course. You are going to be sad you are only doing one loop. ;)
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:08 am

BJH wrote:That is an awesomely gorgeous course. You are going to be sad you are only doing one loop. ;)

Baby steps Barbra :wink: I'm a clutz, so we'll see if I can stay upright. Then maybe I'll be ready for the next challenge. :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Welcome to the addiction known as trail running. :)
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 pm

So anyone who might know this course... am I going to have to invest in trail shoes? Or are an older pair of my Asiics ok? I hate to make the investment before I decide if I even want to do any more.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 pm

You could get by without them but will probably enjoy the race much more with them. A little more stability and not falling down as much will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

trailzen
Johnny Miles

Postby trailzen » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 pm

You could get by without them but will probably enjoy the race much more with them. A little more stability and not falling down as much will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Chainsaw Baby
Bruce Kidd

Postby Chainsaw Baby » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:22 pm

I agree that buying a pair of trail shoes is a good idea. The day after you complete TLC 14K, you will be "noticing" every single trail along your normal running routes. They will beckon you. You will then start wearing (this is where the trail running addiction truly starts) trail shoes IN CASE you find a trail...

Also, having both trail and road shoes means you won't wear out either pair as soon!
It's a hill. Get over it!

www.runnningchallenged.blogspot.com

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:03 pm

You'll be happier with them.

You might want this, too, just in case you want to run some more.
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/ ... rs_map.pdf

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:46 pm

Ok, so I bought some trail shoes. My niece works here in
Bobcaygeon at Bigley's and she's fresh off a product knowledge seminar with new balance. They seem comfy, but very different from my regular shoes. Not worried about them on the trails, but on the roads running to get to the trails I have found to practice on. How do you find your trail shoes on the road?

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:53 pm

I find they are a smidge heavier, but if I don't think about it, I won't notice. I run about 3 km each way to get to trails and that is fine.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:52 pm

I have a pair of Solomon Crossmax that are supposed to be from door to trail (meaning you can use them on road) and I don't find them too bad. I wouldn't use them as just a road shoe though, because I agree, they are definitely a little heavier/sturdier.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:03 pm

I'm going to give them a try on the gravel road this weekend. :)

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:03 am

Ok 8 k done on lots of dirt and gravel, some grass and a bit of road. They were great! I noticed the real difference in gripping the dirt and crush and not sliding at all. I actually did not find them that heavy, but then I am used to asiics 2000, so I guess clunky is my thing. :).

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:10 am

some trail shoes are good on the road and some aren't... my old raptors hated the road, because the sole and traction are so hard. Those shoes are little tanks though. :)

Since I'm in the market for a new trail shoe I might look for something with better crossover ability.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:32 am

ultraslacker wrote:some trail shoes are good on the road and some aren't... my old raptors hated the road, because the sole and traction are so hard. Those shoes are little tanks though. :)

Since I'm in the market for a new trail shoe I might look for something with better crossover ability.

I have a pr of Salomon X Screams that are good as crossover shoes- on the road they feel like road shoes, but are pretty decent on the trail too- not a super aggressive tread, but as long as it's not a super loose or muddy trail they work well.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:54 am

Inov-8 Terrafly, didn't think I'd like then nearly as much as I do. 6m drop, light weight, and a decent bit of traction on trails. Very well put together shoe. Just got a 2nd pair as back-up Sunday, and plan to start Vermont with them.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 am

erinmcd wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:some trail shoes are good on the road and some aren't... my old raptors hated the road, because the sole and traction are so hard. Those shoes are little tanks though. :)

I have a pr of Salomon X Screams that are good as crossover shoes- on the road they feel like road shoes, but are pretty decent on the trail too- not a super aggressive tread, but as long as it's not a super loose or muddy trail they work well.

that's a problem... we have lots of mud and sand water and gravel and roots and rocks and everything except snow (11.5 months of the year!). So I need good traction.

I'm not sure it's possible to have awesome traction AND road-friendliness, but it's worth looking!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 am

ultraslacker wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

that's a problem... we have lots of mud and sand water and gravel and roots and rocks and everything except snow (11.5 months of the year!). So I need good traction.

I'm not sure it's possible to have awesome traction AND road-friendliness, but it's worth looking!

I have a pr of Brooks Pure Grit that are pretty decent on trails, and feel good on the road. The only thing about them that I don't like on the road is that the rubber is pretty soft (which makes them very grippy on rocks) so the lugs wear down pretty quickly if you wear them on pavement much. I used them a lot in the winter when I was running on snow covered roads- needed the grip on the slippery parts, but they still felt quick enough to do speed workouts.

I've got a pr of Altra Superior 1.5s on order- they're supposed to be a pretty good cross over shoe. Once I get them and put some miles on them I'll let you know how they are.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Good luck tomorrow Lisa, have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:13 pm

Fantastic event and gorgeous course, but it was highly technical and very muddy, so lots of walking. I enjoyed it though!

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”