Bike Pedal/cleat question (Look Keo)

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

La
Kevin Sullivan

Bike Pedal/cleat question (Look Keo)

Postby La » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:58 am

I'm looking to buy new pedals when I get my new bike. I'm currently using old Look pedals that have the Delta cleat, which they don't make anymore. I'm going to switch to the Keo, but I can see that they have different models at different price points.

My question is this: if I buy two different models of Look Keo, will the same shoe cleat fit them both?

I need to buy two pairs of pedals - one for my new road bike and one for my old road bike (which will be my bad weather training bike). I don't want to spend a lot of money on pedals for my old bike, but I need to ensure that the two sets of pedals are compatible with one set of cleats on my shoes.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Bike Pedal/cleat question (Look Keo)

Postby La » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:07 pm

Never mind... I think I found my answer, and it's yes. As long as it's Keo (they have two different Keo cleats), it will fit.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:08 pm

Have you ever used Shimano SPD pedals?

I am just curious as to the difference between the Shimano and Look pedals.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 pm

eme wrote:Have you ever used Shimano SPD pedals?

I am just curious as to the difference between the Shimano and Look pedals.

Yes, Yes, I do ... both the

Shimano SPD-SL pedal systems
and
Old Look (Delta) pedal systems

I think the cheapest, basic entry level Look KEO are the KEO Easy that starts off in the $60 range and their top models go up to about $300+ ... with another 4-5 models in the middle ...

Likewise with the Shimano-SL system ... with their basic PD-R550 up to their PD-9000 Dura-Ace with 105 and Ultegra in the middle .... also from about $50-$300+ range ..

What I found interesting was that sometimes it was cheaper, if you can find it on sale ... to buy the cheapest model that comes with a basic pedal and cleats than it was to just by the cleats alone ... :shock: :? :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:39 pm

I have Shimano SPD on my commuter shoes/bike (which is what I use when I go to spin class, as it's the pedal system on the spin bikes). I used to have Shimano road pedals, but I didn't like them (found the cleat really wide/clunky)* so I switched to Look. But my current pedals are the old Delta cleats, so I need to update them.

*ETA: that was more than 10 years ago, so the design might have changed since then.

I'm not interested in trying anything new at this point because clipping in/out is so automatic for me now. The guy at the store suggested Speedplay (the lollipop style), but he said it takes getting used to because you don't clip in the same way (step down as opposed to stepping forward/in).

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:43 pm

I was just curious if the Look were an improvement or just different, as I haven't had the chance to try out Look pedals yet.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:44 pm

La wrote:I'm not interested in trying anything new at this point because clipping in/out is so automatic for me now. The guy at the store suggested Speedplay (the lollipop style), but he said it takes getting used to because you don't clip in the same way (step down as opposed to stepping forward/in).

I know that you don't want to try anything new, but this is the pedal I adore... have had it on both my road and TT bikes from day one.

I do have the SPD on my mountain bike shoes (no longer have the bike) primarily to ride at the gym (spin bikes).
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:07 pm

This thread, I understand. I have spd on three bikes and on three pairs of bike shoes, I'm sure there's better systems out there but I'm not ready to throw out that much gear right now.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:27 pm

turd ferguson wrote:This thread, I understand. I have spd on three bikes and on three pairs of bike shoes, I'm sure there's better systems out there but I'm not ready to throw out that much gear right now.

This is kind of the point I am at. Two bikes, both SPD. I could always sell the pedals if I wanted to switch and I need some new bike shoes, so I am not too worried about having to change cleats.

Just wondered if the Look were "better" or just different.

*better obviously being somewhat subjective.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 am

eme wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:This thread, I understand. I have spd on three bikes and on three pairs of bike shoes, I'm sure there's better systems out there but I'm not ready to throw out that much gear right now.

This is kind of the point I am at. Two bikes, both SPD. I could always sell the pedals if I wanted to switch and I need some new bike shoes, so I am not too worried about having to change cleats.

Just wondered if the Look were "better" or just different.

*better obviously being somewhat subjective.

Look and Shimano road pedals are similar in that they have a larger platform than SPD pedals on a MTB, and they're usually lighter. The benefit of SPD (and Speedplay) is that you can clip into either side of the pedal, whereas with Look/Shimano Road you can only clip in on one side (though the pedals are weighted so that they are usually always right side up).

I'm not sure why MTB favours SPD (except, perhaps for the fact that they are two-sided, so if you're on/off your bike a lot on a trail, it's easier to clip back in). SPD are also quite inexpensive.

The reason I have SPD on my commuter bike is because I have combo pedals that are flat on one side and SPD on the other ($40 at MEC), so I can ride in regular shoes or cycling shoes, whichever I prefer. Plus, it's the same as the spin bikes at the gym.

I think if you wanted one pedal system for both road and MTB then Speedplay might be a good option.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks.

My Shimano are only able to be clipped in on one side, so I am used to that and it doesn't sound like there is much difference between them and the Look.

I will have to take a look for the MEC pedals for my MTB - it feels really weird to not be clipped in now, but I like the ability to wear regular shoes if I want.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:47 am

The nice things with spd pedals, or, rather mtb shoes is that the cleats are usually recessed on the bottom of the shoes, so they are able to walk without looking like a waddling duck on pavement, as those with bike shoes .. Ha !!!
And, for mtb'ers when they are walking in grass, trails, etc, the cleats on both the bottom of the shoe and on/in the pedal do not get all glumpy, as if you were using Look / Shimano SPD-SL type pedals, where it would be very difficult to clip in ...

Cross-Cyclists tend to favour the Crank Brothers pedals, as it offer up to 4 entry points and very simple, mechanically wise ...

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:49 am

If you or anyone is interested in trying out some of these pedals, I may still have some lnib in my wareshouse with cleats et al ... I tended to pick up on various pedal systems when they were on sale and/or used to try them out, but, never worked for me, and have just stuck with the old Look Delta style and the Shimano SPD-SL pedal systems ...

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:41 am

HCcD wrote: Cross-Cyclists tend to favour the Crank Brothers pedals, as it offer up to 4 entry points and very simple, mechanically wise ...

Right, AKA "Egg beaters." I forgot who made those.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 am

eme wrote:I will have to take a look for the MEC pedals for my MTB - it feels really weird to not be clipped in now, but I like the ability to wear regular shoes if I want.

My commuter bike is a MTB (front shocks only) with slick tires, so I never take it on trails (though I could take it on an easy trail with a very hard-packed surface). At first, it seemed weird to be clipped in when riding in the city because of the (perceived) need to unclip so often at red lights, but it is such second nature to me now, that I don't even think about it (like learning to drive a standard from a stopped position on an uphill :lol:). I find that when I ride without being clipped in, my feet slide off the pedals.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:57 am

La wrote:
eme wrote:I will have to take a look for the MEC pedals for my MTB - it feels really weird to not be clipped in now, but I like the ability to wear regular shoes if I want.

My commuter bike is a MTB (front shocks only) with slick tires, so I never take it on trails (though I could take it on an easy trail with a very hard-packed surface). At first, it seemed weird to be clipped in when riding in the city because of the (perceived) need to unclip so often at red lights, but it is such second nature to me now, that I don't even think about it (like learning to drive a standard from a stopped position on an uphill :lol:). I find that when I ride without being clipped in, my feet slide off the pedals.

I find that I tend to try to clip out on my MTB when I go to stop :lol:

I mostly ride in the city and some light trails (in the prairies, not much in the way of challenging trails locally).

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:31 pm

La wrote:learning to drive a standard from a stopped position on an uphill :lol:

You'll need a better analogy. Something that someone from Manitoba will understand.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:45 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:learning to drive a standard from a stopped position on an uphill :lol:

You'll need a better analogy. Something that someone from Manitoba will understand.

Haha.

Yup, never driven a standard uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm

eme wrote:
La wrote:

I find that I tend to try to clip out on my MTB when I go to stop :lol:

I mostly ride in the city and some light trails (in the prairies, not much in the way of challenging trails locally).

I have the Crank Brothers Candy pedals on my bike-- like egg beaters but only two sided, with a small platform. Still, I hated them when I was commuting regularly in the fall-- I hate clipping in and out at the multiple lights. It wasn't a "perceived need"-- I counted one time I had to clip in and out 20 times in my 10K commute. It never did become second-nature to me-- I had to think about it every time-- and one time falling into traffic was enough to spook me out of it. :oops: I switched back to my flat platforms.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:38 am

I ended up buying two pairs of Look pedals: the Classic ($120) and the Max ($190). I've already installed the Classic pedals on my old road bike (and the cleats on my shoes). The other ones are still in the box, waiting until I get my new bike.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:53 am

That's funny about the delta pedals. I bought a set used when I started riding, bought set used when I upgraded, now it is kinda like a game. When ever I go to a bike shop I ask for old detla clips just to stock pile.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Used one set of my new pedals tonight. They were super easy to clip in/out. Seamless transition. :)

Return to “The Dark Side”