Athletes Hit By Bullets in Puerto Rico

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Athletes Hit By Bullets in Puerto Rico

Postby drghfx » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/m ... e23465666/

Authorities say two competitors in a Puerto Rico Ironman triathlon have been injured by crossfire exchanged by occupants of two cars as they sped past the bicycling part of the event in San Juan.

Puerto Rico police identified the wounded competitors as Wisconsin woman Liz Boivin and Puerto Rico man Miguel Arroyo Ramos. Boivin was hit in the left calf while a bullet struck Arroyo in the left side.

Race officials say the two athletes are in stable condition at a local hospital. Officials decided to continue the triathlon competition following Sunday’s violence.

The FBI is assisting island police with the investigation.

Police say a passenger inside one the two cars that were exchanging shots was killed. He has been identified as local man Jose Ramos Tapia.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Re: Athletes Hit By Bullets in Puerto Rico

Postby MINITEE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:05 pm

I have a friend who raced today, and have been in touch with him.

It was apparently a gang/drug related thing that just happened to spill onto the course. There were rumors about it being locals trying to sabotage the race, but that's all cleared up now. The actual incident took place a couple of KM away from transition.

Very scary stuff for sure. :(
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Athletes Hit By Bullets in Puerto Rico

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 pm

When we were in San Juan, Puerto Rico with Steve's work we all got to choose an activity. The group that chose snorkeling witnessed a drug murder in broad daylight on their way to the activity. The driver (a local), said it was actually quite common.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “The Dark Side”