Howdy old friends, quick Vancouver run Sunday?

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 am

Hey all

I am in Abbotsford BC for Friday and Saturday, helping Ray Zahab and the Run for Water people with the 55km Ultra on Saturday, "running" support and motivation. So on Sunday I am getting a lift back to YVR at 8am and my flight doesn't leave till 4pm so I thought I would take the train into downtown and do a nice easy 10km along the seawall (I have never been nor know what the route is but thought I would explore). Likely I'll be there around 10am I would guess. Anyone around or available to give me a little tour? No worries if not but thought seeing I was here I would reach out.

Hope you are all well.

Strider :)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Howdy old friends, quick Vancouver run Sunday?

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 29, 2015 10:33 am

Hi David. :)
Sorry I am a bit out of commission for running :( and I have plans with my swim group on Sunday. I hope some other people join you- if not I can give you some advice about where to go. Where will you store your stuff?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri May 29, 2015 10:38 am

No worries. I just have a Backpack so I was told there are some lockers at some train station I could use. Is this true ?
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri May 29, 2015 10:51 am

Strider wrote:No worries. I just have a Backpack so I was told there are some lockers at some train station I could use. Is this true ?

Hmmm... I actually don't know! I assume you mean you'll go to Waterfront Station at the end of the Canada Line from the airport. The lockers are likely near the West Coast Express terminus, or maybe near the seabus, but I've never used them. I assume you heard from someone who knows better than me. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 am

Yeah the guy who drove us from the airport last night. Guess I will "explore" when I get there or run with a very heavy pack ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri May 29, 2015 6:29 pm

I've heard of the lockers too but am not 100% sure about them. I'm sure once you get to Waterfront someone will be able to tell you.

I wish I could come (I can't keep your pace but it'd be great to see you!) but I am unfortunately booked all day AND evening that day. :(

From waterfront station it is fairly straightforward to follow the seawall west to stanley park (it's marked and there will be tons of people out so just ask someone if you're not sure). The loop around stanley park is about 9.5km, so that plus to/from waterfront would be more than your target of 10, thought it would be a lovely run if the weather's nice! Otherwise you can just do an out/back which would also be nice but won't give you the full experience of running around the park.

Sad that I will miss you! Enjoy your time here!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Fri May 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Yeah the 10km was a rough "it would be nice to do" distance. After tomorrows 55km it will be more a run walk take pictures walk run repeat. I have never been so I imagine I will stop and smell the roses. Sorry it is so last minute, I hadn't thought of it until last night. Got a feeling I will be back in the future so will try and give a little more notice.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 pm

In that case just wander down the sea wall and turn around when you feel like it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat May 30, 2015 10:31 am

I would love to meet you David but I have plans for a bike ride with friends tomorrow...................

Sorry to miss you.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat May 30, 2015 11:10 am

Since you'll be starting at Waterfront Station you'll want to head out toward the new convention centre (past Canada Place with the sails) and can follow the path around it to the waterfront. Then you can keep heading along the water toward Stanley park- should be nice tomorrow. :)

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 pm

So I ended up walking to and from the running room and using the shop to change and leave my bag. I worked perfectly. Ran the full loop, and it was 10km almost exactly door to door. Slow but very happy after saturday's 55km.
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move64340850

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm

Strider wrote:So I ended up walking to and from the running room and using the shop to change and leave my bag. I worked perfectly. Ran the full loop, and it was 10km almost exactly door to door. Slow but very happy after saturday's 55km.
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move64340850

Nicely done. Did you figure out that the lockers were a myth, or did you not bother? The Running Room is a good option.

And nice 55K on Saturday too. :)

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:39 am

Looked around and asked a couple of people and no luck. Think it is a myth. There might have been at some time but these days I imagine they are a security risk. The Running Room was the perfect way to do it. The Run for Water Ultra was so much fun. Amazing group of runners and race organizers. If anyone wants to break past the marathon distance, this is the run to do it. I have been invited back next year.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 pm

Re the lockers, I was curious, so I asked Translink. This is the reply: Not that I am aware of, there used to be some at the Greyhound bus depot at Main St Stn, but I believe those are gone now.

I've been in and out and around in Waterfront Station a fair bit and have never seen any lockers or sign indicating them, or anything.
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Return to “General Running Discussion”