latest gps faves?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ultraslacker
Site Admin

latest gps faves?

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:52 pm

I seem to have lost my garmin. :/

I had it for my race on sunday and haven't seen it since. Can't find it in house or car. Don't think I left it at the race ground so I don't know... maybe it is hiding under something and will turn up.

It's 6 years old and time for a new one anyway, but I've been putting it off due to budget issues (and it's not a priority so I haven't been able to justify the purchase). But if my old one doesn't turn up I will have to start thinking about a new one.

Anyway, my main concerns are long battery life and accuracy in trails/mountains. I don't need multisport, HR, or any of the other extras. Have browsed a bit on the new garmins and suuntos and the prices are pretty ridiculous. Why don't any of them make a simple gps with no frills and long battery life?!

Suggestions? Which ones have been good/bad lately?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: latest gps faves?

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:55 pm

has anyone tried the polar v800?

It's pricy (but they all are). It gets a good gps and battery life rating on this evaluation: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:56 am

I really like the basic garmin 10, but the battery life isn't great. Part of that is that it functions as a regular watch as well (though you can turn it off to save energy). I still think it maxes out at 5 hrs of GPS time which probably wont' work for you. Did you already obsessively read all the stuff over on DC Rainmaker? I always come back to his reviews.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

latest gps faves?

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:31 pm

My 910xt gets great battery life which has made it popular with ultra runners even though it's designed for triathlon. It supposedly gets up to 18 hours although some people have complained that they die early in long ironmans.

Since it is a one-generation older model there have been some good deals on new units.

(I might actually be getting rid of mine so talk to me - I lost my vivosmart :( so I might get something that incorporated the all day tracking and replace the 910xt.)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm

may have found the solution: someone in my running group mentioned that the Fenix is on for $99 at bestbuy. 20 hour battery life. no frills. I've just reserved one at the metrotown location... I know some people have had problems with the fenix but others say it's awesome. for $99 it's worth a shot.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:17 pm

ultraslacker wrote:may have found the solution: someone in my running group mentioned that the Fenix is on for $99 at bestbuy. 20 hour battery life. no frills. I've just reserved one at the metrotown location... I know some people have had problems with the fenix but others say it's awesome. for $99 it's worth a shot.

Hmm. Never heard of the Fenix. I may have a look at one when my Garmin 10 wears out, as I'm a "no frills" type of runner, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:25 pm

Avis wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:may have found the solution: someone in my running group mentioned that the Fenix is on for $99 at bestbuy. 20 hour battery life. no frills. I've just reserved one at the metrotown location... I know some people have had problems with the fenix but others say it's awesome. for $99 it's worth a shot.

Hmm. Never heard of the Fenix. I may have a look at one when my Garmin 10 wears out, as I'm a "no frills" type of runner, too.

The Fenix line used to be Garmin's "outdoor navigation" watch. The origin l Fenix is a few years old so had been reduced in price (I assume that's the one Holly is talking about); it wasn't really designed for running but can do basic running distance and pace stuff. Since then they have released the Fenix 2 and most recently the Fenix 3 which has all the functions of other running/multisport watches.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Yep mine is the older model, which is why it was so cheap. It is designed more for navigation and hiking, which works just fine for trail and ultra running. It doesn't have some of the fancy running functions (like for interval training) but I don't need those. I love the long battery life and the navigation tools, especially since I'm often alone in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:58 am

My friend has the Garmin 410 and just recently got a newer one. I'm not sure, it maybe the 610. I could ask him what he's doing with the 410 if you like. I've been happy w/ my 410 in the trails. Once the GPS connects, I usually don't loose the connection and the distance seems to be pretty. accurate.

I'll find out what Tomtom my co-worker got. He bought it thru eBay and he seems really happy with it.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:09 am

I already bought the Fenix for $99. Couldn't pass that up. Tried it last night for runpub. The buttons are all different from my 205 so it is a bit of a learning curve, and the navigation features will take some practice too. But I like it so far.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:27 am

ultraslacker wrote:I already bought the Fenix for $99. Couldn't pass that up. Tried it last night for runpub. The buttons are all different from my 205 so it is a bit of a learning curve, and the navigation features will take some practice too. But I like it so far.

I'm glad you like it.
All I ever use is time, distance and pace. Sometimes I regret spending the money on something with so many other features that I never use. Next one will be simple.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:35 pm

ultraslacker wrote:I already bought the Fenix for $99. Couldn't pass that up. Tried it last night for runpub. The buttons are all different from my 205 so it is a bit of a learning curve, and the navigation features will take some practice too. But I like it so far.

Good to hear!
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 pm

I went to Best Buy today and bought the Fenix as well. There was another guy there looking for a cheap GPS. I was talking to him about the Fenix and I think I convinced him to buy one but I got the last one at that store.

Now I have to try and figure out how the darn thing works.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:23 pm

It's a bit of a learning curve from my old one! But worthwhile I think. Exactly what I wanted for trail/ultra running.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:41 pm

ultraslacker wrote:It's a bit of a learning curve from my old one! But worthwhile I think. Exactly what I wanted for trail/ultra running.

I've gone through the on-line manual and watched a few of the You Tube videos. Coincidentally one of the guys who has posted some videos, Jim Cyr, is a guy I've e-mailed a few times though work. I may have to call him up and get some tips for loading up maps etc.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

bass5snake
Percy Williams

Postby bass5snake » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:27 pm

I have the Tom Tom GPS / heart rate watch. It's all I could afford but it's working well for me.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

I still haven't figured out how to use the Fenix. I may have a lot of data load on it though. I hit the GPS, then Tracking then Running profile but when I start it I don't seem to get the running screen. It's hard to trail run with a group and try to figure out the screens at the same time. No one in my group has a Fenix so I can't get help from them. I'll figure it out someday.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:32 pm

I've had a Fenix 2 and now a Fenix 3. Still have questions?

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm

of course I got injured immediately after buying it. Have hardly used it. :(

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Just picked up the Garmin VivoActive during the Black Friday sales ... couldn't resist as it was on sale at about 30% off the msrp ... :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: now, just have to wait another 3 weeks or so before opening it :shifty:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:39 pm

I got the Garmin 920xt yesterday and I love love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMC 2015

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I bought a Forerunner 25 about 3 weeks ago and it's been perfect for what I need: time, distance, and the Bluetooth sync is really handy. That it does basic activity tracking is a bonus.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:52 pm

My Forerunner 25 has been behaving better recently. I still have no clue as to how to get it to do auto laps at 1km intervals. I have it set to metric and it gives me all my times in minutes/seconds per km. However, it does laps at 1.61km (i.e. per mile) intervals. I called Garmin support and they had no answer.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Gimp wrote:My Forerunner 25 has been behaving better recently. I still have no clue as to how to get it to do auto laps at 1km intervals. I have it set to metric and it gives me all my times in minutes/seconds per km. However, it does laps at 1.61km (i.e. per mile) intervals. I called Garmin support and they had no answer.

I had a similar issue with my new 225. I rectified that by doing the following:
Settings ==> Activity Settings ==> Auto Lap ==> Distance

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it is worth a shot.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Stampie wrote:
Gimp wrote:My Forerunner 25 has been behaving better recently. I still have no clue as to how to get it to do auto laps at 1km intervals. I have it set to metric and it gives me all my times in minutes/seconds per km. However, it does laps at 1.61km (i.e. per mile) intervals. I called Garmin support and they had no answer.

I had a similar issue with my new 225. I rectified that by doing the following:
Settings ==> Activity Settings ==> Auto Lap ==> Distance

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it is worth a shot.

Yup, that is what you are supposed to do but it doesn't always seem to work. I have done it online, in the phone app and on the watch itself. Anyway, it has now gone back to doing 1K laps, so all is good right now. I do still have issues doing the Bluetooth sync with my phone. I do that with my phone at Starbucks after the run to see the laps etc. However, it often takes several tries before a clean sync. And it often seems to need an internet connection before it will sync....which is particularly weird. This morning it had a clean sync for my run but it had to do another sync later to get my Step count transferred. None of this is enough to send the watch back but it does feel like it has gremlins in it....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Return to “Gearing Up”