Canadian athlete disqualified at Ironman Canada

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Canadian athlete disqualified at Ironman Canada

Postby La » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:11 pm

On a related note, I offered to (legally) transfer my half marathon bib to a friend since I won't be able to run. He said I was being "nazi-like" by insisting on a proper transfer instead of just letting him have my bib. :roll:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 pm

La wrote:On a related note, I offered to (legally) transfer my half marathon bib to a friend since I won't be able to run. He said I was being "nazi-like" by insisting on a proper transfer instead of just letting him have my bib. :roll:

I am selling my bib for the half marathon in Winnipeg this weekend - I insisted on a "legal" bib transfer.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:49 pm

La wrote:On a related note, I offered to (legally) transfer my half marathon bib to a friend since I won't be able to run. He said I was being "nazi-like" by insisting on a proper transfer instead of just letting him have my bib. :roll:

Wasn't there a case where a dude running with a women's bib podiumed... if they allow "legal" transfers it's usually a good idea to avoid such messes!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun May 01, 2016 10:48 am

jonovision_man wrote:

Wasn't there a case where a dude running with a women's bib podiumed... if they allow "legal" transfers it's usually a good idea to avoid such messes!

Yes, a male friend of mine ran with another female friend's bib at ATB a few years ago and ended up with a podium spot. He went to the Sportstats tent right after the race to have that corrected so that the right woman would get the award.

Before there was all this talk of why one shouldn't run with someone else's bib, I bought a bib off Dr.S for the Chilly Half. I ended up running my first sub-2 and a PB in the race, but it still doesn't show on my results since the bib was in her name. I've never done it since (nor given my bib to anyone else).

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Sun May 01, 2016 3:58 pm

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

Yes, a male friend of mine ran with another female friend's bib at ATB a few years ago and ended up with a podium spot. He went to the Sportstats tent right after the race to have that corrected so that the right woman would get the award.

Before there was all this talk of why one shouldn't run with someone else's bib, I bought a bib off Dr.S for the Chilly Half. I ended up running my first sub-2 and a PB in the race, but it still doesn't show on my results since the bib was in her name. I've never done it since (nor given my bib to anyone else).

But ..... so what? It happened whether the Internet says so or not.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Mon May 02, 2016 10:02 am

turd ferguson wrote:
La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:

But ..... so what? It happened whether the Internet says so or not.

Agreed!

It's like my buddy whose fastest 5km was part of the 10km at Sporting Life... count it, man, you as a person physically moved your body those 5km in that amount of time. Counts!

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 pm

http://www.getouttheremag.com/articles/ ... er-scandal

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I loved this quote

“Residents of Squamish feared the wrath of Miller, who has presented herself as the victim of envy and cyberbullying and who has attacked her critics in very forceful terms,”

That doesn't sound familiar at all.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 10, 2016 2:05 pm

turd ferguson wrote:http://www.getouttheremag.com/articles/4315/the-julie-miller-scandal

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I loved this quote

“Residents of Squamish feared the wrath of Miller, who has presented herself as the victim of envy and cyberbullying and who has attacked her critics in very forceful terms,”

That doesn't sound familiar at all.

:lol:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 10, 2016 2:11 pm

The more interesting question the writer is posing is:
Empfield was also quoted by Lyall in the NYT article as saying that, “My readers think that doping is reprehensible, but that cutting the course is worse, almost incomprehensible…At least if you dope, you’re still trying to win the race by actually completing it.” He added, “They’re (triathletes) emotionally and financially invested in this sport and when someone cuts a course, they feel highly violated. From their point of view, it’s tearing at the fabric of trust required to have a sport at all.”

Which is worse, doping or cutting the course?

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue May 10, 2016 3:19 pm

La wrote:The more interesting question the writer is posing is:
Empfield was also quoted by Lyall in the NYT article as saying that, “My readers think that doping is reprehensible, but that cutting the course is worse, almost incomprehensible…At least if you dope, you’re still trying to win the race by actually completing it.” He added, “They’re (triathletes) emotionally and financially invested in this sport and when someone cuts a course, they feel highly violated. From their point of view, it’s tearing at the fabric of trust required to have a sport at all.”

Which is worse, doping or cutting the course?

Hard question because there are degrees of doping.

My view: cutting the course is always the worst kind of cheating.

If we're talking flat-out injecting stanozolol into your ass on a daily basis, then I'd go with doping as equal to cutting the course. But both are the worst.

If we're talking the wrong kind of sudafed, thats another matter.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue May 10, 2016 4:41 pm

I tend to agree with Turd; there are degrees of doping but cutting the course is absolute.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 10, 2016 6:38 pm

I agree with both Mike and Mark on this one.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed May 11, 2016 6:42 am

But doping doesn't guarantee you a win (or AG place), whereas cutting the course most certainly does. Doping might make you better than you would be without doping, but there are no guarantees.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 11, 2016 7:57 am

La wrote:But doping doesn't guarantee you a win (or AG place), whereas cutting the course most certainly does. Doping might make you better than you would be without doping, but there are no guarantees.

Doping is a more corrosive influence on the overall sport though... there's always that looming question of whether performances are "real" or not, plus the pressure on other athletes to put more crap in their bodies to keep up.

And frankly in pro sports cutting the course is pretty difficult to even do, people notice when someone disappears for a bit and shows up later!

jono
Visit my blog!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed May 11, 2016 7:19 pm

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Fri May 13, 2016 9:57 am

Yeah well if they didn't qualify, odds are they and their families would have been sentenced to 10 years of hard labour so I'm OK with that cheating.

The whole Russian Sochi team is another story.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Return to “The Dark Side”