Hoka Shoes

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Nicholas
Site Admin

Hoka Shoes

Postby Nicholas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:02 am

Trying to gather runner experiences with the Hoka shoes. I'm looking for more cushioning to protect my arthritic hip and to prolong my running life a year or two. I wear Saucony Triumph 10 shoes right now and notice that the new ISO version of the shoe has a greater stack height than some of the Hoka shoes. I'm trying to figure out if I should switch brands or just continue with the new Triumphs. The ones I'm wearing have been good to me but I think I need a little more cushioning. Speed and efficiency are not part of the equation any more these days...it's all about just being able to run. I keep hearing stories about the disappearance of pain when running in the Hokas.
Not looking for comments on how ugly they look but on how well they work.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Re: Hoka Shoes

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Nick wrote:Trying to gather runner experiences with the Hoka shoes. I'm looking for more cushioning to protect my arthritic hip and to prolong my running life a year or two. I wear Saucony Triumph 10 shoes right now and notice that the new ISO version of the shoe has a greater stack height than some of the Hoka shoes. I'm trying to figure out if I should switch brands or just continue with the new Triumphs. The ones I'm wearing have been good to me but I think I need a little more cushioning. Speed and efficiency are not part of the equation any more these days...it's all about just being able to run. I keep hearing stories about the disappearance of pain when running in the Hokas.
Not looking for comments on how ugly they look but on how well they work.....

I HATE my Hokas because the arch is in the wrong place/ too high and hurt my feet.

Everyone else loves them; except watch out for toe nail loss. The toe box is know to be too small. But I don't think you need to worry about that.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

no personal experience, but i've read a few blogs of people who love them. not much to lose, i figure!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:27 pm

I love mine EXCEPT they are the hottest shoes I have ever worn. I wear them for winter running only for that reason.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:21 pm

I have a pair of Mafate trail shoes in size 9.5 that you are welcome to try out if that's your size. If they work, you can have them. I wore them for one run. Super plush, but after about 2KM's, they rubbed my toes so bad that I had to limp home, LOL. They are way too narrow for my feet.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:00 am

Bought a pair a month ago, have not run outside in them yet. Stupid winter.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:11 pm

NMG wrote:I have a pair of Mafate trail shoes in size 9.5 that you are welcome to try out if that's your size. If they work, you can have them. I wore them for one run. Super plush, but after about 2KM's, they rubbed my toes so bad that I had to limp home, LOL. They are way too narrow for my feet.

Thanks for the offer but I would need a size 10.5. If the shoe runs small then the 9.5 would wreck my feet!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Nick wrote:
NMG wrote:I have a pair of Mafate trail shoes in size 9.5 that you are welcome to try out if that's your size. If they work, you can have them. I wore them for one run. Super plush, but after about 2KM's, they rubbed my toes so bad that I had to limp home, LOL. They are way too narrow for my feet.

Thanks for the offer but I would need a size 10.5. If the shoe runs small then the 9.5 would wreck my feet!

I'd be willing to send mine home with Ken!
men's US 11. (they run small)

PRACTICALLY NEW

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 pm

This is like the official Hoka attempted giveaway thread, LOL :)

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 pm

NMG wrote:This is like the official Hoka attempted giveaway thread, LOL :)

So, why am I looking at buying a pair of them??? :roll:
Tried to see what size I am in this brand. Tried on a 10.5 Bondi...too big and they had no size 10. Tried on a 10 in the Rapa Nui trail shoe and it is a completely different shoe and was too short and too tight. Guess I'll have to get down to MEC to try on the newer Clifton and see how that works. Seems that a 10 or 10.5 is going to be the right size, which is what I normally wear.
Anybody have those sizes to give away??? :D
Nicholas

Events in 2018

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:15 pm

LOL! If they were wide enough, I'd probably have them in rotation. The one thing I did find on the trails was that there was absolutely no ground feel. You would step on a rock or root and it would feel identical to stepping on packed dirt. They just soaked up terrain. I can see where that would be nice, but other times I really like having that connection with the trail.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I have two pairs of Hokas: A pair of Mafates, and a pair of Rapa Nuis. I'm ok with them both, but I find that the ankle cutout isn't low enough and it sometimes rubs.

As with everything: moderation is key. I don't run exclusively in Hokas, and simply use them in a rotation. I figure a constant change in shoe type will prevent overuse injuries due to repetitive motion caused by shoes that force a certain "running style". They're just another tool in the toolbelt.
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Finally got down to MEC at noon and bought a pair of Hoka Cliftons size 10.5. Will take them for a short spin on the TM tonight and a 10K run on Saturday.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 pm

First run was a success. I didn't even notice them on my feet...until a sideways hill and I almost fell off my high heels. More cushioning than I had before but they fit my feet really well and there was no rubbing and no hotspot. We'll see if some of the old aches and pains go away as I keep running in them. I like the 4mm (or is it 5?) drop better than the 8 I had been running with in the Saucony Triumph. And those shoes (multiple pairs) only made it to 300K before wearing through to the midsole on the outside of the right heel.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:34 pm

OK, one week on and a follow-up report: the shoes will be going back to MEC. I have worn through the black rubber on the outside of the left heel and am eating through the soft orange layer. This was with 25K of running. I never wear my left heel down before my right heel is worn through. They are good to run in but seem to have an issue with the rubber quality. I did find it a bit strange doing speedwork on the TM in them. I felt like I was falling forwards a lot of the time.
So, picked up a pair of Saucony Ride 7 on the way home today. I'm not sure when I can get down to MEC to return the Hokas....
Nicholas

Events in 2018

NMG
Bill Crothers

Postby NMG » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Wow, that's crazy! That has to be a defective pair or something.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:48 am

I happen to look at the wear before ATB and after. Amazing after one 30k the breakdown. At this rate, they will be only good for a few months.

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:45 pm

MY Hokas are in the box waiting to go back to MEC. Wore my new Saucony Ride 7s for the first time today and they felt good. I have also ordered a pair of the Triumph ISO.
Nicholas

Events in 2018

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Wed May 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Gimp wrote:MY Hokas are in the box waiting to go back to MEC. Wore my new Saucony Ride 7s for the first time today and they felt good. I have also ordered a pair of the Triumph ISO.

I have heard that the new Speedgoats are a move back to the quality Hoka was built on. EVA foam cushioning, and a Vibram outsole. It's still a few months out from being released, and may take a few months more to make its way to Canada.
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri May 22, 2015 5:46 pm

fyi ... Hoka and Euro-sports have a full lot of Hoka's at the Ottawa Race Weekend Expo this weekend ... :)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

bass5snake
Percy Williams

Postby bass5snake » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm

I love my Hokas! I have a Stinson Tarmac and Mafate Speed. I like using them for longer runs.

I'm a Hoka and Newton guy. I wish there are shoes that has lots of cushions and fast at the same time.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat May 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Looking for advice on Hoka Cliftons: I've been running in Asics Hyperspeeds for many years now without problems. I've transitioned to more of a flat-footed or mid-foot foot strike. Over the last few months I've developed nagging heel pain low down below the Achilles attachment and this has now become plantar fasciitis. I know because I've had it before. After resting and stretching for about 2 weeks I did an easy 5K run yesterday resulting in serious pain at the plantar fascia insertion area at the front of the calcaneous under my foot.

My question, finally, is this. Would Hoka Clifton 2's road running shoes enable me to keep running? Gel insoles have not helped.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat May 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Try them on first because you may find that the arch is too close to the heel and presses on the plantar swelling.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sat May 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice. The arch is important, eg. I can't wear Nikes because the arch is just wrong for me.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Thu May 26, 2016 3:28 pm

The Hoka Speedgoats have been confirmed. They are an amazing shoe! The ankle cutout is just perfect, and has a vibram sole.
Plan for 2017:
Kettle Moraine 100
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Return to “Gearing Up”