Garmin Forerunner Vs Garmin Vivoactive

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Digby

Garmin Forerunner Vs Garmin Vivoactive

Postby Digby » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm

I am trying to decide which Garmin to go with. I am running my first half marathon this summer and am looking for a watch that will assist me with training. Any advice?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Garmin Forerunner Vs Garmin Vivoactive

Postby Jwolf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:49 pm

They Forerunner and Vivoactive both have several different models with a wide range of prices-- ranging from about $100 to $600 or nore. Many are very good-- the Forerunners are marketed mostly as running watches, and the vivoactives are marketed as "activity trackers", but both can be good for run training. It just depends on what functions you want.

I really like the DC Rainmaker blog for reviews of different watches, and he has a comparison tool to allow you to compare the features of different models.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/blog

Comparison tool: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-com ... calculator
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:09 am

I have both. My Forerunner is an old clunker (310XT), which is great for multi-sport training and racing. I mostly use it as a bike computer now as I can mount it to my handlebars to see my speed, time, etc. without having to look at my wrist. I also don't like wearing the HR strap, so I use my Vivoactive for that. If I were to upgrade to the 910XT (or whatever the latest triathlon watch is) it would be about $350 (likely a lot more for whatever the latest versions is).

My Vivoactive HR was last year's model and I am severely coveting the latest version (not the music one, just the regular one). But I don't think I can justify spending $400 on a new watch right now.

The site Jen mentioned with product reviews is really good. When you're ready to buy, I also recommend GPSCity.ca (assuming you are in Canada - I think .com is the US partner site) as their shipping is fast, their prices are competitive, and you can even get older/refurbished models from them if you don't want to drop a lot of $$ on your first watch.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:57 pm

La wrote: When you're ready to buy, I also recommend GPSCity.ca (assuming you are in Canada - I think .com is the US partner site) as their shipping is fast, their prices are competitive, and you can even get older/refurbished models from them if you don't want to drop a lot of $$ on your first watch.

Another good option is to buy from MEC if you are in Canada. Their prices might be a bit more than online, but they stand behind their products really well If you have any problems with the watch, even if it's beyond the 1-year warranty, they will take it back and replace it or give you credit towards a different one (if your model is no longer sold). And you don't have to worry about sending it in or waiting for a replacement.

I've also heard that Cosco is really good too, although I don't have direct experience.

That said, Garmin service itself is also really good if you deal with them directly.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am

I agree that MEC is the best place to buy, simply because they will help you out if anything goes wrong down the road...

With that said, I bought my Garmin Fenix from Best Buy simply because I got a killer deal on it. The newer model had come out and I got the older model for $99. :) I loooove my Fenix. The Fenix is designed more for navigation and mountain terrains; it has a longer battery life and more navigation/compass/routefinding features. It's pretty sweet.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Return to “Gearing Up”