what do you guys think about...

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:57 am

So, I have this meetup group that has been sitting inactive for awhile.

It's a hiking and trail running group that I inherited when the old organizer stepped down. There are a bunch of assistant organizers but none of them have been posting any events. It's like pulling teeth to get anyone but myself to organize anything so when my life got crazy, no one did anything. So it's just sitting there.

I had this idea this morning...

For awhile we've been talking about ways to get RM a little more active again, and I thought, "I've got TWO inactive running groups just sitting there... one on RM and one on meetup... why not combine them and try to give them both a boost at the same time?"

What it would mean is putting the RM brand on the other group and starting some group runs with the membership over there (I'd change it from hiking/trail running to general running). If any of our local RMers want to join there and even organize some group runs, that'd be awesome. Then we start linking up the RM forum and fb group to the meetup site, and generating activity that way... pointing people over here, and cross-posting the events.

In the past, my most successful events were the ones geared toward beginners, so it's likely that any new members we'd gain initially would be primarily beginners, which is always a good thing. :)

Thoughts?
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Re: what do you guys think about...

Postby eme » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:40 pm

I like the idea :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Just so I don’t have to join Facebook to stay involved.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 pm

What I find most valuable about this forum right now is the Log section. I'm not using it as extensively as I used to, but I do like that I have a place where I can write about what I'm doing. I like following others that are logging.

So combining this group with the meet-up group would likely not affect me. I cannot commit to organizing any meet-up events, and for several reasons I prefer to run on my own these days. I think that feature and combining with the meet-up group could be valuable for some people, but it likely won't be for me.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Jwolf wrote:What I find most valuable about this forum right now is the Log section. I'm not using it as extensively as I used to, but I do like that I have a place where I can write about what I'm doing. I like following others that are logging.

So combining this group with the meet-up group would likely not affect me. I cannot commit to organizing any meet-up events, and for several reasons I prefer to run on my own these days. I think that feature and combining with the meet-up group could be valuable for some people, but it likely won't be for me.

see, this kind of answer discourages me. (And I'm just being honest here.)

If the only reason we're keeping RM around is so that people can keep journals, then why keep it at all? You can keep a journal on your own, in a paper journal. Or on your computer. Or on a blog. Why am I paying money out of my own pocket for the hosting, or the time I put into it?

RM was always about the community. But here we are, down to half a dozen people just posting half a dozen posts a day... there's like nothing here anymore. The only reason I haven't ditched it already is because the archives hold such a massive wealth of information, and I keep thinking to myself there must be a way to keep and revive that. I keep thinking there must be a way to bring in new blood, get things going again, and build it back up again.

But I can't do that by myself, if there is no buy-in.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:12 pm

ultraslacker wrote:...And I'm just being honest here...

As was I -- for me personally. I was not trying to speak for others who may value more of the larger community aspect. You're right that we have had a great community here and I've made some of my closest friends here-- but I'm just not sure how much effort I personally want to put into re-growing the community on the outside. That's just me.

For me the community aspect IS important in the log section because there are a bunch of us who follow each other and comment on each others' progress. I can't get that from a private log on my computer. But you're right that that's probably not enough to sustain the site. Many people have already stopped logging here and are using social media for that type of sharing instead. I would be willing to help out financially if there are enough of us who only want to maintain that part of the site.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:17 pm

I belong to another discussion board which has a pay pal link to contribute.

I notice that there are many lurkers. It would be nice if they participated. Why don't they?

I agree with what JW said about the logs, including following Holly's journal.

I like the idea of developing the community in Van; however for obvious reasons I'm an online participant.

I understand Holly's frustration.

I'd miss this place if it was gone.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 am

A Vancouver-based meet-up group wouldn't be of any value to me for obvious reasons. You could perhaps direct some of the members from that group over here if you're trying to get people to contribute more.

Like Jennifer, I mostly use RM for the log (and keeping up with other people's training). My own log is almost 10 years old now! :shock: Although I've renamed it a lot, the thread itself has been going since November of 2008.

RM filled a need at the time it was created: to build a community of runners to talk about running (and a bunch of other things). It was my first introduction to social media, before FB, Twitter, IG and now Strava and Garmin Connect. But now that we have all those other platforms, RM doesn't really have a niche anymore that can't be filled by one of those other platforms.

All that said, RM (through you) has been a platform that's contributed a lot to my life through the friendships I've made here. I'd venture to say that many people on here wouldn't have accomplished a lot of their athletic success without the people they were inspired by and things they learned from other members. So, regardless of what happens, you should be very proud of what you've built here.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:00 am

La wrote:A Vancouver-based meet-up group wouldn't be of any value to me for obvious reasons. You could perhaps direct some of the members from that group over here if you're trying to get people to contribute more.

Through my account I have the ability to set up as many groups as I want. We could have meetup groups in cities across the country. But it would require people in each city to organize local runs.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:52 am

RM has been a part of my life for 10 years. I would love for it to become more active again, but having said that, I don’t know much, if anything, about social media and how to accomplish that. I think it would be good to link it all up if it would help direct traffic here.

I’m a member of a local running club that uses Facebook and emails to organize runs. (I wait for the emails) They all know I belong to an on-line running club and I’ve told many members to check it out but they just don’t seem interested, for whatever reasons.

I would also contribute some $$ to help keep the sight going.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 pm

La wrote:All that said, RM (through you) has been a platform that's contributed a lot to my life through the friendships I've made here. I'd venture to say that many people on here wouldn't have accomplished a lot of their athletic success without the people they were inspired by and things they learned from other members. So, regardless of what happens, you should be very proud of what you've built here.

+1

I can't really see RM ever being what it was before for the reasons others have said, but it's been so important to me in years past.

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

It looks like RM is still generating some traffic which is more than half the battle. I did a Google search and there are modernized forum platforms out there that integrate with other social media platforms that would help generate more traffic. It's going to take a technological overhaul over word of mouth in order for this site to gain more activity. It might be worth a shot if we can get a collective group to devote some time and money to help make this change.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:16 pm

it's not about money (it doesn't cost much to maintain). It's about needing more than just me taking initiative. If I'm the only one putting in effort, then it won't work, and we'll just sit here stagnant for another 5 years. Like Rob said, we need a collective group to put in some time and effort.

Let me think about this some more. I have some other ideas that I'm thinking about too.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 pm

I'll be unemployed in September and could moderate or something.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:47 pm

This site was the perfect storm - it provided a great place for like minded people to discuss and share their love of running. Hope, dreams and training plans when the only alternatives were commercial sites or those dominated by hard core runners - guys who would brag about passing out at the 20 mile mark rather then even walk through an aid station. I read that and questioned what was I doing running but found this site and it had a great mix of new, runners looking to get to the next step and veterans. The problem as I see it is that with any site but especially one involving running as the members age, they are going to drift off. Some by choice, many because of the nature of more than purely recreational running as statistically, running injuries are doing to happen. Add in there are seemingly endless sources of training - run 3 days, run 7 days a week, there is a site dedicated to that. And from raw beginner to improve your Boston Marathon finishing time and everything in between - sites that did not exist when this site was at its peak. There are no road bikes forums or even face group sites per say as that is old school - join a cycling club that range from easy and short to racing focused. For mountain and fat bikes, Facebook group sites tend to be functional - this was my ride, here are some photos and watch out for the tree here and the mama bear there. Maybe a discussion about mechanical topics but again very functional. But for "logs", Strava. I chat with people new to running that know I have run marathons, etc. The interesting thing is that there are Facebook Groups and local running clubs that did not exist way back when. I have a friend who is part of a women's only running club so a "national" running website does not interest her. Ten years ago, 5 Peaks was just getting started and now there are trail running Facebook Sites.

Runningmania at one time was literally the only game in town and it provided advice and experience and friendship at a superior level. It filled a huge void and full credit to Holly. Part of the reason I made it to Boston was this site - being able to share my dream and my doubts with others who were going through the same experience as I was. But now it appears you can google that same great advise and find multiple options. Where at one time local running clubs were only for serious racers, now there is a club - real or virtual for literally any sort of runner and it is local.

I could be wrong but my sense is that the time for a "national" running site has passed.

daddy_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby daddy_runner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm

I've got information overload. There's FB, Strava, TrainingPeaks, my tri club, and.....

I only check RM once every few months these days.

I know I said I'd get into blogging and contribute some of my blog posts. But my writing ability doesn't allow anything comprehensible to come out very frequently, and as such I've given up on that. :(
Plan for 2017:
END-SURE 25k...done! 2:30:23
Spruce Woods Ultra volunteering...done!
Kettle Moraine 100
Western States 100 crewing
Falcon Fatass 50k
Superior 100

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:32 am

I was thinking about this earlier today. Only 7 people replied to this. Some people who come to rm regularly didn't reply.

I guess that is an answer of sorts.

I came along after the great Wolf Island meetup which JoJo organized. I went to meetups in 3 cities, Ottawa twice. Fun times. Because of this, I know most of the people who are here now f2f.

I understand about how people like fb and they are on there several times a day anyway and still following people who don't come to rm anymore. So why bother with rm?

Its just sad.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:56 am

Spirit Unleashed wrote:I was thinking about this earlier today. Only 7 people replied to this. Some people who come to rm regularly didn't reply.

I guess that is an answer of sorts.

I came along after the great Wolf Island meetup which JoJo organized. I went to meetups in 3 cities, Ottawa twice. Fun times. Because of this, I know most of the people who are here now f2f.

I understand about how people like fb and they are on there several times a day anyway and still following people who don't come to rm anymore. So why bother with rm?

Its just sad.

I agree with what you’ve said. It’s sad, I’m sad.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am

In my case, I’m running in 2 min intervals and don’t feel I have anything to contribute. So I lurk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 am

Spirit Unleashed wrote:I came along after the great Wolf Island meetup which JoJo organized. I went to meetups in 3 cities, Ottawa twice. Fun times. Because of this, I know most of the people who are here now f2f.

I don't think FB is really to blame-- there's no big group of RM-ers on FB like interacting like we did here. When I think about the two meet-ups that I had at my house and others that I've been, I keep in touch with maybe a handful on FB and others in real life. There are a few people I've seen in Toronto and other places in recent years. FB just makes it easier to keep in touch with people from various phases and facets of one's life. FB hasn't replaced what RM was before, but people have naturally moved on -- it's more like keeping in touch with your old high school classmates. The ones you WANT to keep in touch with. :)

If there are people that want to revive RM and reinvent it for today, that's awesome-- but it will still not be like it was before. It doesn't make me sad- it's just life moving forward.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -Dr. Seuss
Last edited by Jwolf on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnn
Jerome Drayton

Postby bnn » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:57 am

I think the change could be good but not too sure what others can do to help, Holly - are there specific things you have in mind?
Just call me the thread killa

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:16 am

I didn't reply because I don't really have the time (or interest to be honest) in putting in the effort locally. My life has changed with a toddler, and running isn't as at the forefront as it once was to me. The people I've met on here (and "met" online but not IRL) are still important to me. Reading others' journals is inspiring, and I like to keep up with what you guys are doing.

But I have no issues with RM being changed to bring it back to higher traffic, more usefulness for those who are still more actively running. Hopefully it will keep it around.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm

I personally don’t read blogs. I keep a written diary that goes back to 1996. I stopped posting anything only because I was not getting any responses. It seems like everyone wants to be a lurker! I really don’t know how you can bring Running Mania back to relevance. I still wear my Running Mania gear at some of my races. I do not get any curious people asking about my shirts. It is sad. I wish Holly all the luck in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:39 pm

RA. wrote:I didn't reply because I don't really have the time (or interest to be honest) in putting in the effort locally. My life has changed with a toddler, and running isn't as at the forefront as it once was to me. The people I've met on here (and "met" online but not IRL) are still important to me. .

That's the thing - so many people's lives have changed so much in the years since this site started. I say it would be highly unlikely to get back what it once was. As was mentioned earlier it was a perfect storm. It was a combination of the people and the time (year) that it started. There was a bond over something (because a lot of us came from elsewhere) at first and then more and more bonds were created organically as time went on. It was bound to peak and then ebb. (I mean even the NET is dead, dead, dead and that thread was NEVER dead) That's just the way things are - people change, friendships change, lives change.

(I didn't reply because I'm hardly on here anymore and I rarely check the running forum)

That said it's not to say that it couldn't get more traffic but the idea has been tossed around for years and nothing has gotten traction so I don't know. I think if it was going to happen it would have happened by now.

When I google running and forum and running and discussion board this site still pops up so it's still there for people to find.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:43 am

some more pictures of some doonst flaming tights would generate some traffic, I'm sure :mrgreen:

Return to “General Running Discussion”