Running Skirt

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Running Skirt

Postby lovethehills » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:27 am

OK, let me admit upfront I am a shopaholic. AS soon as there is something new on the market, I'm onboard. As well, I am a marketing whore, ( I hope that word is allowed on the forum) put it in cool packaging and I'll buy it.

Along comes the running skirt. It's first mentioned in Runner's World, then the following month an article is in there about a Triathlete who has started her own business because she's tired of looking boyish while training. I was HOOKED!!! Having asked a few forumites, it seemed the run skirt was the way to go.

I finally tracked one down yesterday...after much driving and searching I might add. The gal at the store told me they had only 2 left and they New Balance is completely sold out. How am I so far behind this trend?? hahaha. She also mentioned that next year EVERY running company has created one, so it's going to be super-popular I think.

I ran in it last night. I LOVE it! It is SO comfortable! It's totally flattering, covering anything you don't much want people to see. (ie: if your running shorts sometimes ride up, as this may do, the skirt hides it all, no bunching fabric around your lower stomach) I thought it might look a little ridiculous, but even my boyfriend, who commented I wasn't girly enough to pull it off, thought it looked great.

Here's the thing: It's really just a slightly redesigned tennis skirt. READ: Marketing ploy for people like me! hahaha

Regardless, I called the store where I bought it...they're holding a blue on for me. Hahahaha

Hi, my name is Tracy, and I'm a shopaholic!!

C'mon gals, you ALL need one!!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:29 am

I know I need one! But I can't find one ANYWHERE here!

I have considered getting one online... but I might just wait until they start coming to stores...
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:58 am

I can say it, I can say it!!!!

Mountain Equipment Co-op!!!

They have a cycling skirt that is perfect for layering over shorts for running. I actually haven't run in mine yet, but do wear it over my shorts on the bike, and I love it. Best of all - it's only $29! (They have more than one kind, including a skort that is a little pricier, but this was the one for me.)

It's very cute and comes in black, grey or navy.

Holly, if you want to see it, you can check http://www.mec.ca.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:13 am

oh yeah, you told me about that one! I haven't checked it out yet, mainly because I'd also have to buy the compression shorts to wear underneath, as I don't have any of those yet! But I will check it on my next trip to MEC. :)

(doesn't that feel great? ;)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:03 pm

klewlis wrote:oh yeah, you told me about that one! I haven't checked it out yet, mainly because I'd also have to buy the compression shorts to wear underneath, as I don't have any of those yet! But I will check it on my next trip to MEC. :)

(doesn't that feel great? ;)
well, you can get the compression shorts at MEC too. I have a pair that i wear once in a while that i got there for $15-20 or something. Maybe if i go get the skirt part, then i'd wear the shorts too... oooohhhhh, may have to go to MEC on the way to the bathing suit shops... hear that uncle visa??? you get to go to MEC too!

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:23 pm

a_keddy wrote:well, you can get the compression shorts at MEC too. I have a pair that i wear once in a while that i got there for $15-20 or something.

Yup. $15! I just bought two more pairs because I can't keep up with running AND laundry! :D

a_keddy wrote:... hear that uncle visa??? you get to go to MEC too!

:lol: :lol:
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:59 pm

OOhh, I can say this too:

www.eastbay.com

Punch "andare run skirt" into the search. All they have left is a pink, but it's onsale for 29.99! This company gives great customer service, and the prices are quite good.
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:57 pm

So what's under the skirt? Underwear or dry short? Actually I have one skirt by Nike that would look like one of them...but thought it would be weird to wear it...I didn't know that their is now such thing as a "running skirt"! Very cool and I might even wear it.

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:34 am

My New Balance one has bike shorts underneath.

For a few different ones that were designed by a triathlete:

www.skirtsports.com

VERY cute!

Tracy

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:47 pm

MEC sells cycling skirts for $30??? Why didn't I know this?

Oh well, I dropped my cash and bought the Gym Girl from Skirt Sports. I LOVE IT!!! It was way to hot to run after it was delivered this evening, but I'm thinking about going out in it in the morning. (If I get off this board and go to bed, that is!!)

-Natalie

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:40 am

Agent Provocateur wrote:MEC sells cycling skirts for $30??? Why didn't I know this?

Oh well, I dropped my cash and bought the Gym Girl from Skirt Sports. I LOVE IT!!! It was way to hot to run after it was delivered this evening, but I'm thinking about going out in it in the morning. (If I get off this board and go to bed, that is!!)

-Natalie

hey Natalie, when did you get here? lol. Welcome here. :)

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:54 am

Just last night... and thanks!

-Natalie

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:04 am

Hey Natalie...good to see you!!

Jo-Jo
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:59 am

Glad you amde your way Natalie :wink:

I'm happy to hear about the skirt. I'm definately going to get one!! Let us know how it is once you've run in it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:09 am

lovethehills wrote:www.skirtsports.com

Those look great but they're ALL PINK. I wonder if/when they're going to make any without pink... pink is so hard to coordinate...

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:28 pm

klewlis wrote:
lovethehills wrote:www.skirtsports.com

Those look great but they're ALL PINK. I wonder if/when they're going to make any without pink... pink is so hard to coordinate...

I never saw you as a pink person... I am having a hard time seeing you in pink too... Do you own anything pink? :D

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:31 pm

themonk wrote:I never saw you as a pink person... I am having a hard time seeing you in pink too... Do you own anything pink? :D

i have... one pink running top. i think that's it, in my whole wardrobe. sometimes i wear pink toenail polish. :P

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:55 pm

I finally ran it in today. Exactly as their site states...

"When you work out in the GymGirl you'll notice it hiking up a bit in the thighs, and creeping into bootie-ville until you sweat and tug it into place, where it will stay. Don't mistake hiking for the skirt being too small."

I really like it - but I wish they would either make a black/pink or white/pink combo (easier to coordinate with tops), or sell pink tops that are the same colour as the skirts. I scoured Winnipeg for a matching top, and only got "close enough". Grrrr...

I need more of these skirts. Must buy winning lottery ticket.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:55 am

So what's under the skirt?[/quote]

**biting his tongue** :roll:
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:31 am

Spankies. I'll let you think about that one.

lisaannr
Abby Hoffman

Postby lisaannr » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:18 pm

Yikes...I want one from sportskirt...but they're a little expensive..guess I'll wait, maybe a sale..ebay...? Wait..I have a birthday coming up ..

Ahhh but maybe I'll just wait for the Running Mania skirt ;) Holly? :lol: :roll:

Lisa

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:42 am

I just got an email from th lululemon people...there's is in stores now!!!!

Go check it out Girls!!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:54 am

lisaannr wrote:Ahhh but maybe I'll just wait for the Running Mania skirt ;) Holly? :lol: :roll:

lol, great idea but I don't know how we'd pull it off...

lovethehills wrote:I just got an email from th lululemon people...there's is in stores now!!!!

Go check it out Girls!!

Sweet! I will go look... I saw some there once but they were tennis skirts, not running skirts... though they'd probably work.

hyajil
Bill Crothers

Postby hyajil » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:41 pm

The lululemon website (we don't have a lululemon store in Winnipeg - Saksabush has one, but we don't, whatever!) only lists the chakra skirt, which doesn't look like a running skirt. Has the site not been updated yet? Or do I need to look harder?

As for the MEC cycling skirts, I bought one and it's cute and does a great job when I'm biking but it's not so good for running since it twists around while I run.

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:43 pm

OK, I jumped the gun....don't shoot me!

They told me it was in, but in actual fact the shipment has been held for some reason. Sorry, sorry!!!

They will be there soon though, I promise! :lol:

Return to “Gearing Up”