winter clothing

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
ultraslacker
Site Admin

winter clothing

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:10 pm

I'm already thinking about winter clothing... more because I have to budget for it than anything... this will be my first winter of outdoor running.

What is the bare minimum that I need? What is nice to have? Are the fancy winter running jackets really worth the price, or could I just wear extra layers of clothes over top? Will I need two layers on my legs for the really cold days? Tights and then an overpant? What about hats, and covering my face?

I have NO idea where to start. The coldest temp I've run in was about -5. Help please! :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi Holly,
I found my running jacket to be key in spring, fall and winter.
I got one from RR- it's longer over the bum and has reflective stripes. It's amazing how well it cuts the wind, and wicks away sweat.
Under that I got a pair of technical long johns- tights and t-neck.
On colder days I wore a thin polar fleece pullover and or an additional running t as well. I wore tights over my long johns. I will definitely be getting the heavier running tights with the front wind panel for next year.

For my hands I got wicking gloves over which I wore windproof mitts (same material as jacket).

Socks- I wear the same all year round.

I had two wicking headbands for my ears and a wicking balaclava on the coldest days that could be tightened so that only my eyes were exposed.

That's about it!
Happy budgeting!

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:59 pm

Start by thinking about what you already have. Do you ski? If so, you probably have technical long underwear and socks. These work well for winter running.

For your head, get a toque. They are important. MEC sells helmet liner balaclavas, too, for very cold days. For your hands, get gloves. For sub zero until about -10C, you only need light gloves, the kind you can pick up for less than $1 at walmart. After that a wind proof over mitt becomes useful.

Once you have a hat and gloves, you will be amazed at the difference between what you wear while walking in the cold and running in the cold. For running, dress as for walking, but about 10-15C warmer.

A jacket comes in handy for protection against the wind more than the cold. Technical jackets come with pit zips for ventilation, while still offering wind protection and protection from really cold rain.

Wind proof pants come in handy, too. I am good to about -20C with wind pants and a pair of long underwear on my legs.

You are correct to think about dressing in layers. That way you can remove the layers as you warm up.

Vaseline on your face will protect against frostbite on any exposed skin.

Someone from Edmonton or Winterpeg can take over for the advice for running at -30C (before windchill).
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:15 pm

thanks guys, that's helpful. :)

so layers are in, and the jackets are worth it. good to know. i hadn't even thought of mitts, but of course that makes sense. And I'll check out MEC once the snow flies to see what they have too. :)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:51 am

Yup Holly you'll be happy with a jacket. It's worth investing. You'll be wearing it a lot..great for spring and fall too. Get one with reflective stripes. Winter running is often in the dark or almost.

Over dressing can be a problem so that's where layers become your saving grace. After warming up for 10 minutes, if you are overdressed, you feel like you can't breath..all these layers!! :shock:

Neck warmers, I carry 2 on very cold and windy days. I change it half way cuz it gets totaly frosted and stiff.

I rarely wear a hat over -15oC. I'll sometimes have a headband ( ugly one) and colder days I'll have a hat....

Mitts I wear the cheap $1 kind and add a layer like a pair of mittens as it gets colder. On really cold days I have a good pair of fleece gloves and my mittens on top.

Pants is a layering contest depending on the wind chill factor...

Shoes and socks are same as summer. On very cold days, my feet will freeze on the first half hour and defrost on the way home.......I do get black spots on my toes in the winter.It's part of the game. I buy my shoes end of august. I think they are warmer at that time for winter running cuz the fabric is new and fluffier than when my shoes are worned out.

On windy and freezing days, I'll wear 2 neck warmer and a hat almost covering my eyes. I did freeze my eye balls last winter....outch ! but Yaaaaaaaaaaa! :twisted:

That pretty much covers all the body parts....oh and your nose?! depend how long it is...he he ! :)

Helene :wink:
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:53 am

Helene, that's a lot of great advice from someone who lives waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up north. lol. thanks. :)

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:52 am

klewlis wrote:Helene, that's a lot of great advice from someone who lives waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up north. lol. thanks. :)

That's the least I could do for you Holly...you're doing so much for us already!!

Helene :D
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:10 am

Everybody is different in terms of their sensitivity to the absolute temperature, but two things we all need for winter running is protection for exposed skin, and reflective clothing for the shorter days. I also have one of the RR jackets and would recommend it (although it's losing its reflective qualities after a couple winters.)

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:27 am

Here is my rundown of winter clothing:

1) Bottom: Running pants from MEC (about $21), with a compression short underneath to keep my upper legs and bum warm. If it's windy, I'll add a MEC wind pant. For REALLY cold days (colder than -20) I'll wear their thicker pant with the wind material on the front. I can't recall the price, unfortunately, but it was pretty reasonable. Check their website!

2) Top: sport bra, short or long sleeved technical shirt. Check Costco in the fall and winter. They sometimes sell turtleneck technical shirts for about $20 (I bought a small men's). I also have a couple of fleece mid-layers from Costco that I'll wear for really cold weather. I like the jacket with the longer bum and the zippers under the arms, and did a price comparison between MEC and RR. With a 20% off coupon, the price at RR was almost the same, and I preferred that jacket because it didn't have an elastic in it (drawstring instead). But if you don't care about the longer bum, check Costco. I got 2 techical jackets with lining in them for Christmas last year that are awesome, and I noticed last time I was there that they had more. Slightly different style, but same weight and material, and very inexpensive. (They are pretty colours, too!)

3) Head and face: I either use a fleece neckwarmer (Mark's Work Wearhouse) and ponytail toque (MEC), or in really cold weather a balaclava with the nose holes from Marks plus the fleece toque.

4) Hands: I use those 99 cent magic gloves from Safeway, and will tuck an extra pair into my waterbelt in case they get wet and I want to change them. I also have a pair of fleece mittens from Mark's that I'll wear over top if it's really cold.

5) Safety: Reflective material is a must. In the winter evenings, I have a headlamp that I'll wear so that I can see where I'm going (and cars can see me). Also, you can't beat grips for your shoes. I buy the Get A Grips with the replaceable spikes from the RR. They're not cheap ($40), but are worth it. My first pair lasted over a year, and even then it was the rubber that gave out, not the spikes. You can buy cheaper ones from other places, but my friend bought a pair for $10 from Lee Valley, and the spikes on them only lasted a couple of runs. :shock: There are other brands available, though, such as YakTrax, so shop around.

I have to admit, I love winter running!
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:35 am

gjennifer wrote:ponytail toque (MEC)

what's that??? does it have a hole in the back of it or something? I've gotta see this.

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:39 am

klewlis wrote:what's that??? does it have a hole in the back of it or something? I've gotta see this.

Yup. Best...invention...ever! :D

No more tangled hair from it being all tucked under your toque and neckwarmer. (Of course, it doesn't help when you wear the balaclava, but it has to be REALLY cold for that!)
Jen

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:46 am

gjennifer wrote:
klewlis wrote:what's that??? does it have a hole in the back of it or something? I've gotta see this.

Yup. Best...invention...ever! :D

No more tangled hair from it being all tucked under your toque and neckwarmer. (Of course, it doesn't help when you wear the balaclava, but it has to be REALLY cold for that!)

seriously!

not to mention the mess of sweaty hair pressed into the back of your neck for the whole run (I HATE that, and I've only done it once or twice!). Looks like I'll have to head down to MEC (I keep saying that, don't I?). Hey Jennifer one of these days we should go together, and we could go get a gelato across the street. Then you can show me all these cool things you keep talking about. :P

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:35 pm

klewlis wrote:Hey Jennifer one of these days we should go together, and we could go get a gelato across the street. Then you can show me all these cool things you keep talking about. :P

Uncle Visa looks excited!!!
Jen

Return to “Gearing Up”