Calgary 3 Dolla Bill 50k

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
rune163
Bill Crothers

Calgary 3 Dolla Bill 50k

Postby rune163 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:13 pm

About 40 runners officially took part in the inagural Calgary 3 Dolla Bill 10k, 20k and 50k. Warm weather was on its way in race day however it held off until the run was finished! At the 8:45am start time the temperature was about -17C with windchill factored in. By 1pm it was about -1C!

The course followed the Bow River Trail system eastbound towards the Zoo and then crossed to the south side of the river and went westbound to 14th Street Bridge crossing back to the north side and returning to the start/finish point for a 10k loop.

The first 20k went smoothly hitting the 10k mark in 40:41 and the 20k mark in 1:22:32. The wind picked up slightly and things slowed down from there. 30k split was 2:07:45 and 40k was 2:54:11. Took a 2 minute stop to get some sports drink in (my bottle had frozen so I didn't drink or eat anything the first 40k!) before heading out for the final 10k.

Watch stopped at 3:43:59 for the 50k. Faster than the Edmonton Fat Ass 52k, much further south than the EFA and I didn't need a coke IV at the end! The veggie chili post run went down well and caused massive gas problems for the remainder of the day. Colin and I had to be at the store to do inventory later in the day and 6 cups of chili make for a very smelly store! Colin didn't win the 20k earlier in the day but did take the farting title!

Next up, Gord's Frozen Ass 52k, the first race in the Montrail Alberta Ultra Series! Also tomorrow is a 100k training run. Colin has talked up ultras being easy (his longest run is 30k) and someone run club members have coerced him into running 100k tomorrow! Our goal time is sub 11 hours. Weather will be perfect with highs tomorrow nearing 50F!!

If anyone in Calgary wants to come run bits of it we are doing 8 mile loops starting at 6:30am from my house (Broadview & 18th NW). My cell is 978-7963 call if you want to join in and see where we are at. Each loop starts and ends at the above address.

Happy trails!
Ryne

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Calgary 3 Dolla Bill 50k

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:20 pm

You're awesome--I can't imagine running that fast for that long! :)

ultrarune wrote:I didn't need a coke IV at the end!

this is improvement!

Also tomorrow is a 100k training run. Colin has talked up ultras being easy (his longest run is 30k) and someone run club members have coerced him into running 100k tomorrow! Our goal time is sub 11 hours. Weather will be perfect with highs tomorrow nearing 50F!!

k, I've only met Collin the once and he didn't SEEM dumb... but jumping from 30k to 100k? sounds like something YOU would do...lol.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Nice run, Ryne. You don't want it too warm for a winter race.....
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:10 pm

As always you never fail to disappoint me with your amazing feats (or is that feets) :roll: :wink:

You're an inspiration...no I don't wanna do ultras...but you're an inspiration :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:32 am

WOW, just WOW. You made it sound so easy - I know it wasn't, or was it?

I am humbled Image

Mighty fine job. Good on ya.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Wow, way to go, Rune! That's damn fast for a 50k under!
Weatherwise it sounds like Calgary was warmer than Waterloo. We started at around -14 (-18 with the windchill) in Waterloo and it stayed below -5 or -6, I'm sure. And we had some icy patches and packed snow along the course. Glad to hear it was a nice day to run!

As for the 100k training run, well, what can I say? Amazing! Inspiring! Awesome! Have a great run!!
Ultrarunner again

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:22 pm

stunning just stunning
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:20 am

I have started this post 4 times... and errased it all........cuz all I can muster up is HOLLLLYYYYY CAAAARRRRP MAN......!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”