Friday in the Arctic

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Friday in the Arctic

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:18 am

Sorry out west, but today I live in the Arctic.

Heading out the door. Nothing more to say. :|

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:23 am

Stay warm!

I'm off to the gym for a strength workout.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:47 am

Rest day here. Brrr!
BG

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:04 am

Rest day today after a great bike- run brick last night.

Happy Friday everyone.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:07 am

brrr :shock: i want my vancouver weather back!

short TM run after work today....definitely a TM day.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:12 am

Yep, you said that right .... it's bbbrrrrrr'ing in the Nation's Capital this morning ... -22C / -30C windchill .. brrrrrr ......

Not sure what is on the plate for today ... either a run, a spin and/or a session of Hot Power Yoga ...

Have an interview, err meeting with a PT this morning at the GoodLife ... she's an ultramarathoner, and specializes in endurance athletes ... will see what her philosophy and approach is ... Whatever I decide, won't start 'til March, after my SA Holidays, however .. :?

Take care and bundle up today and this weekend ....

btw: Thank goodness I'm not racing the Hypo 1/2 this weekend .. :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:15 am

Yeah, I can tell it's cold because there's a weird draft coming in on my feet as I sit here....

I ran for just over 45 miinutes last night, just a tad under 9km. I ran from the Y, because I was doing my toning/pilates class from there after. I got one of those "You're running outside in this?? You're a brave soul" comments, and a few other looks. :) I was honestly not cold when running and really felt like I could have gone longer.

(Has anyone else noticed that it's easier to dress when it's really cold, than when it's just cold, because it's easier to not get too warm and sweaty?)

But I had to come in for class. And class was good.

Tonight: plyometrics and likely a movie (hope I can nap in between!!!!)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:21 am

What's wrong with the Arctic????
It's a cool place!
:lol:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:27 am

Sir Crashalot wrote:What's wrong with the Arctic????
It's a cool place!
:lol:

In particular, if you like ... Image and Image
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:51 am

I will never understand how one person can go to bed feeling fine and wake up all stuffed up and with a sore throat and my head pouding - there was NO build up to this :evil: so ColdFX today and the next three days for sure!

I have my personal trainer and martial arts tonight - no outside activites for me today - felt hardcore for going out yesterday so that will do until Saturday when toobusy and I run together

have a good day everyone
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 am

Most likely a rest day for me, after a GREAT coached swim last night! I really feel like I'm starting to "get it". Plus, I'm not the slowest one in my lane at all, any more! I'm looking forward to going and practicing on the weekend.

Might go to the gym, but we'll see how tired we are after work.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:55 am

Rest day here also.

I don't know about anyone else but boy am I looking forward to the weekend. There's nothing worse than the first week back at work after a weeks holiday.

Have a good one everybody.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 am

Another day in weirdsville for me. I'm still not sleeping - I think I have only accumulated about 10 hours this week.

11km LSD after work tonight so that it is out of the way when we head to Ottawa in the morning (hopefully).

Stay warm everyone!

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:58 am

Did my 8.75 km @ 5:21 pace HR 154 (84%). Wife told me it was -32 WC but aside from the eye tearing for the first 10 minutes and the right foot being a bit cold at the start, it was fine, toasty warm.

I even saw the beginning of dawn light in the horizon. Can't wait.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:59 am

It is WAAAAY too cold to run outside today. :( I will do my 8K tempo run at the gym, and as punishment for being such a baby I will try to push my last of the three fast miles to 7.7 or faster. :twisted:

Then it's Rodney's Oyster House with Dave, my bro and his gf, and my mom. I can't wait!! :D

Happy Friday everyone- it's a PA day for me so a day of meetings and work... I'd much rather be with my little ones.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:01 am

Just back from the gym...45 minute run on TM...15 minutes of tempo.
Busy day at the office..and then I'm having clients for dinner...these are clients who insist that C-Moss comes to the appointments...they are an older couple living in a condo...and love doggies.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton

I'm feeling pretty good...

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:09 am

taking a rest day today... had an optional run on the schedule, but I think I just want the day to relax......

I redid my bike LT test last night as part of the Computrainer Challenge rides... at first last night I was disappointed in only gaining 4 watts from the last time I rode (and not breaking the 35 minute mark) but I just took a look at the log and realized that not only did I gain 4 watts, but in gaining those 4 watts my average HR dropped 6 beats. More watts, less work! My watts increased 3% while my HR (at the higher wattage) was 5% lower.
Last edited by fe.RMT on Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:11 am

It's really cold here too. Rest day for me. I have a weird pain somewhere around the back of my knee/hamstring/calf so I think it's IT band. Or maybe totally not running related. Anyway, a rest from cardio today.

I'm taking a "me day" today. I will walk to the gym for some strength stuff when I head to the movie since the gym and movies are across the hall from each other at the mall. :)

I had my second weird running dream last night. A few nights ago I dreamed that I missed a race because I wasn't ready (as in didn't get to the start line in time). Last night I dreamed that me and 2 friends overslept before Bluenose, and made pancakes, etc. We missed the start. Then we tried to get to the start, and they'd started late, so we still had a chance. Then I couldn't get myself dressed and had to run in a bathing suit. :? Apparently something in my head is concerned with not being ready for this years' races.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Katie the Brat
Bill Crothers

Postby Katie the Brat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:13 am

Its going to be another beautiful day finally out west. Cool at night, but up to 8 all the way thru the weekend.

No running today, cycling and weights instead, ART this evening, he's not liking my progress all of a sudden.

I got my first pay cheque from my new job today, woohoo! Makes giving up the self employment worthwhile now :)

I'm sorry to hear its so cold back east.

Have a great day everyone :D

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:18 am

Did a steady run in the comfort of my basement followed by a light strength workout - just arms.
I had to run without my orthotics as they are in the shoes in my gym locker downtown. :? Didn't seem too bad tho.

It is so ugly out there, that sunshine is deceiving...
Have a wonderful Friday... woohooo FRIDAY!! :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:20 am

Karen wrote:Another day in weirdsville for me. I'm still not sleeping - I think I have only accumulated about 10 hours this week.

Yeah someone keeps tossing and turning all night (and stealing most of the blankets). :)

LSD tonight for me (if the traction is not treacherous). Need to switch my schedule around this weekend to allow for family visit time!

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 am

Rest day for me. It's sponge hockey day at school. I've got a score to settle with a 2nd grader :twisted: . It's a good thing I'm also the ref. :D

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:30 am

Ed Fizz wrote:Rest day for me. It's sponge hockey day at school. I've got a score to settle with a 2nd grader :twisted: . It's a good thing I'm also the ref. :D

Forgive the stupid question Alain, but what is Sponge Hockey?

imaslowpoke
Johnny Miles

Postby imaslowpoke » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:36 am

Weights and core for me tonight then it's time to flake out on the couch and watch movies - yay!!!

Stay warm and Happy Friday everyone!
Maureen

Ed Fizz
Bill Crothers

Postby Ed Fizz » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:40 am

Karen wrote:
Ed Fizz wrote:Rest day for me. It's sponge hockey day at school. I've got a score to settle with a 2nd grader :twisted: . It's a good thing I'm also the ref. :D

Forgive the stupid question Alain, but what is Sponge Hockey?

It's floor-hockey but the stick's blade is made of sponge. We play with a sponge ball as well so no one gets hurt (except for the gym teacher who gets wacked in the shins and ankles on faceoffs :? )

Return to “General Running Discussion”