Worst. Race. Ever.

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:01 pm

TurtleLuc wrote:Hi Edith,
(although I was not registered for it :oops: )

slight highjack...I have a soft spot for "bandits"...I believe my bandit helped me BQ :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:35 pm

Hi Edith. Sorry you had a rough one. Sounds like a lot of things working against you here, but I know you'll be able to get going again and focus on what comes next. With every race we learn something, and I certainly know what it's like to have a bad race.

Keep moving forward.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

holymoly
Bill Crothers

Postby holymoly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:15 pm

I'm impressed by your time... but I respect that it isn't what you hoped for. Sounds like the surface conditions were a real bummer. Great job under the circumstances!!
• Marathons: Berlin 2010 & NYC Marathon 2010 & Toronto 2004 • 30Ks: ATB (Hamilton) 2007 & 2016 & 2017 • Half Marathons: Chilly Half (Burlington) 2007 & More (NYC) 2005 & Scotiabank Waterfront (Toronto) 2004 • 8K: Robbie Burns 2006 • 5Ks: ATB 5k 2009 & 2008 & 2006 & 2005, Beaches Spring Fling (Toronto) 2004 • Craziness: Santa Speedo Run (Toronto) 2006 •

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:03 pm

too bad, go out next weekend and bang off a PB Half Time Trial just to prove to yourself that you can, then get to Boston.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:15 am

The whole traction thing I have been reading about would have gotten me to pull out after lap one, so good for you for stickin it out!

Bman
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:58 am

That sucks, sorry to hear you had a bad time. It was much the same for us in the Last Chance half in November... it's hard to run in conditions like that and then you just end up feeling crappy at the end.

The next one will be better!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:36 am

Sorry to hear about your race, you'll get 'em next time.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:00 am

Not all races can be PR's. Every race will make you stronger, either mentally or physically. This was not an easy race, but you will use it in future races. Enjoy what your have accomplished and leave the rest behind. Damn fine job. Now recover :)
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Stella
Bruce Kidd

Postby Stella » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:13 am

ummm, E, you were out running while I was home sleeping! That's a huge wow in my books! Every race is a learning experience and I think you pulled the positives from this one.

Well done for the first 1/2 of the year!
"Decision Must Be Instant...
Commitment Must Be Total."
-blazeman

2010: Qualifying for Boston and NYC at the Wineglass Marathon
2011: Running all 5 of the major marathons for Acquired Brain Injury and Leonard Cheshire Disability
London Marathon: April 17th
Boston Marathon: April 18th
Berlin Marathon: September 25th
Chicago Marathon: October 11th
New York City Marathon: November 6th

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:14 am

Edith - in this race, those that were having bad races and still finished deserved two medals!! It would have been sooooo easy to just pull out ...but, you finished!

The bad races make you realize just how good the good races are! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

waynerdog
Jerome Drayton

Postby waynerdog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:51 am

We all have bad races from time to time. Your time was still awesome and it was done in adverse conditions! Just enjoy the hardware and look forward to the next one...

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 pm

I was pretty dejected when I wrote my race report. This is part of the reason I didn't go and sit with Kiza, James and the gang from their clinic for the brunch. Most of them were doing their first half and I didn't want annoy them with my dejected feelings. I feel better now. I e-mailed the coach yesterday, and he reassured me that I should not sweat this race too much considering the conditions.

I also decided that I will follow Jo-Jo's wise advice, and avoid racing in the winter. I don't think it is worth it. I will be better off focusing on training and race when road conditions are reliable. In fact, I will avoid doing any run faster than easy pace when traction is poor. Somehow, my legs do not like it and it is not worth the risk.

Jgore--I have Yaktrax, but didn't think of using them. They could have helped, but I am not sure it would have changed the result much.

Nick--I was wearing my old trusty Mizuno Inspire. The footing would have been OK at easy pace.

Robbie-T--Do you want to send me to the injury list???? :shock: :D
Last edited by Bebette on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Sorry you were disappointed with your race Edith. You still did very well considering the conditions, IMHO.
I did my LSD yesterday in similar conditions (3cms of snow at least) and I couldn't go very fast no matter what I did (hamster effect) and it took a lot out of me. My hip flexors are feeling it today. It was like running in sand really!
The next one will be better. :)

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 pm

I hear ya Edith. Don't let it get you down. I am hoping to PB on the Chilly Half but realize that traction and weather may very well result in a worst.race.ever for me too.

You will do much better when the snow is gone!

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:14 pm

Even though you were disappointed with the result, remember what's been said before - a bad day of racing is still better than sitting on the couch....or something like that!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

D-Man
Bill Crothers

Postby D-Man » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:16 pm

Sorry to hear about that Edith...

Good luck with Boston!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:13 pm

Winter races are a crap-shoot at best. I wouldn't beat myself up over it. The weather and footing were major factors that were not within your control. Chalk it up to experience and move on.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

msdesigner
Jerome Drayton

Postby msdesigner » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:24 am

It's too bad that you had a tough race but I'm glad that you are feeling better about it. Congrats. :D
Running 26.2 miles is not limited by physical capabilities but rather by the mind.
Uta Pippig

Return to “Run/Race Reports”