Favorite Running Music - The Maniacs Choice Compilation

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Beerslinger
Bill Crothers

Postby Beerslinger » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 pm

does anyone else include Europe's "The final countdown" as one of their guilty pleasure running songs?

Give it a listen... it's got the tune of some 80's football or hockey movie, where in the last 2 minutes of the game the team is down by 1 and have to score to win the championship...

Yeah yeah, corny I know, but give it a listen.
Too tired to get out training? Two words - Floppy Manboobs.

2008 - bmo Vancouver 1/2: 2:28:17 PB!!

Please support me in the ride to conquer cancer

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 am

Beerslinger wrote:does anyone else include Europe's "The final countdown" as one of their guilty pleasure running songs?

Give it a listen... it's got the tune of some 80's football or hockey movie, where in the last 2 minutes of the game the team is down by 1 and have to score to win the championship...

Yeah yeah, corny I know, but give it a listen.

"We're heading for Venus....."

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:19 pm

I've rediscovered the joys of Ashley MacIsaac, and discovered it for a run. Especially Sleepy Maggie. I had forgotten how much his music makes you want to move.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:22 pm

adding Kaiser Chiefs "Ruby"

RUBY RUBY RUBY RUBY!

as well as Silverchair's "straight line" and Satellite Party's "dog star".
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 am

I don't listen to music when I run, but a song that gets me going prior to a run is the new one by Linkin Park - Bleed it Out.

Love, love, love that song.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:33 am

plod-along wrote:I don't listen to music when I run, but a song that gets me going prior to a run is the new one by Linkin Park - Bleed it Out.

really? I'm not a fan of that one...

have you heard Ruby? It will make you want to run AND sing! lol

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

joe
Bill Crothers

Postby joe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:00 am

Oh man.. I could have so much fun here! Almost 2TB of music to choose from. ;)
Race Photos: http://www.zoomphoto.ca (Ask me about the RM Coupon!)

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:15 am

klewlis wrote:
plod-along wrote:I don't listen to music when I run, but a song that gets me going prior to a run is the new one by Linkin Park - Bleed it Out.

really? I'm not a fan of that one...

have you heard Ruby? It will make you want to run AND sing! lol

I think I know which song you're talking about - it's ok.... :wink:

Back to Linkin Park - Dave bought their new CD right before we drove to Penticton, and I was shuddering and fearful....but I have to admit - it's now one of my faves - very different for Linkin Park, hence that's probably why I like it! :wink:
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:32 am

abhainn wrote:I've rediscovered the joys of Ashley MacIsaac, and discovered it for a run. Especially Sleepy Maggie. I had forgotten how much his music makes you want to move.

After meeting him and knowing what he is like as a person, I cannot get myself to appreciate anything this person achieves in his lifetime. He really is an ugly person. As far as his music goes, there is way better talent in every second house in Cape Breton that has a fiddle player.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Stephan wrote:
abhainn wrote:I've rediscovered the joys of Ashley MacIsaac, and discovered it for a run. Especially Sleepy Maggie. I had forgotten how much his music makes you want to move.

After meeting him and knowing what he is like as a person, I cannot get myself to appreciate anything this person achieves in his lifetime. He really is an ugly person. As far as his music goes, there is way better talent in every second house in Cape Breton that has a fiddle player.

But I'm not in Cape Breton :? How am I supposed to know????

Give me the names of music/musicians/bands/groups (whatever) that I can download that are comparable and I will try them. Until then, I don't know Ashley, never met him (don't care if I ever do or not), but I still like the 1 cd of his I had bought years ago.
Andrea Michelle

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:37 pm

abhainn wrote:
Stephan wrote:

Give me the names of music/musicians/bands/groups (whatever) that I can download that are comparable and I will try them. Until then, I don't know Ashley, never met him (don't care if I ever do or not), but I still like the 1 cd of his I had bought years ago.

haha, my comment was my oppinion only and I was only stating that I don't like him for who he is, anybody else can listen to him if they choose to. I also don't listen to Pete Townsend and Gary Glitter for similar reasons.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Stephan wrote:
abhainn wrote:
Stephan wrote:

haha, my comment was my oppinion only and I was only stating that I don't like him for who he is, anybody else can listen to him if they choose to. I also don't listen to Pete Townsend and Gary Glitter for similar reasons.

That's cool. I'm not about to stop listening to something because someone else doesn't like it.

I hear ya on Townsend and Glitter though :D

But seriously, if there are other groups/individuals that you know of that I can download I really would be interested. (I already have all of Great Big Sea).
Andrea Michelle

soccergrrl
Johnny Miles

Postby soccergrrl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:11 pm

If you like techno/trance/dance stuff, PodRunner has free downloads all mixed at specific bpms. Check it out here
Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime, Transformers 2

Still to come in '10:
Markham Women and Girls 5K
Pearson Runway 5K
Acura Toronto 10 miler
Island Girl 10K

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Just picked up the new Dropkick Murphys. Imagine Great Big Sea meets the Dead Kennedys, opening for the Pogues.

(plus I threw in their song from The Departed, "Shipping up to Boston")
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

a_beacher
Jerome Drayton

Postby a_beacher » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:58 am

Ozzy Osboure - I Don't Wanna Stop - New release by Ozzy.

I'm not a big Ozzy fan but my DH put it on the Nano so I thought I'd listen to it ......and I love it. If you like Crazy Train..you'll love this song too.

soccergrrl
Johnny Miles

Postby soccergrrl » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion. I love this CD. There's a song on the album called Lollipop and it makes me smile for some reason.

I've also been listening to (don't laugh...) Hot Wheels Acceleracers tunes. My son has discovered the movies and then I discovered the soundtrack. Great for running.
Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing. - Optimus Prime, Transformers 2

Still to come in '10:
Markham Women and Girls 5K
Pearson Runway 5K
Acura Toronto 10 miler
Island Girl 10K

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:30 pm

soccergrrl wrote:If you like techno/trance/dance stuff, PodRunner has free downloads all mixed at specific bpms. Check it out here

Awesome!

I have been enjoying U2 with Mary Jane Blige: One. Not a big MJB fan but her voice is astounding.

Dean Simon
Tom Longboat

Long thread

Postby Dean Simon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for the great suggestions. I've got the mp3 player loaded up and I'm heading out for my first music run.

Here is a couple that I didn't see on the tread

Peddle to the metal - Kasser
Eye of the tiger- survivor

deano
PBs

Running
5k 19:49 - 8k 32:24 - 10k 43:50 - 10 m 67:10 - Half 1:42:00 - Full 3:20:44

tri
sprint 1:30 - Olympic 2:52 - 1/2 IM 7:17 - Full IM ???

Fast Trax Flunky
Johnny Miles

Postby Fast Trax Flunky » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:21 am

Thought as my first post, I'd add to this epic thread! Here are some of my favorites [which I listen to at a reasonable volume while running so that I'm still aware of my surroundings.. ;)].

Jakalope - Feel It
Rinocerose - Cubicle
Propellerheads - History Repeating
Paul Oakenfold - Faster Kill Pussycat
Maroon 5 - Can't Stop
Juno Reactor - Pistolero
Daft Punk - Da Funk
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
The Fratellis - Flathead
The Crystal Method - Name of the Game

The Crystal Method also makes a great album called Nike Original Run, which is essentially a continuous hour of music that pretty awesome to run to.
Last edited by Fast Trax Flunky on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was, now, what I'm with, isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary."

www.fasttraxskishop.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:50 am

welcome here, FTF! how did you hear about us?

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 pm

CinC wrote:I don't listen to music when I run, but a song that gets me going prior to a run is the new one by Linkin Park - Bleed it Out.

I love that one too! It's fun to spin to, as well.
I love Spoonman by Soundgarden- have I said that already? Sorry if I have. I also love that song "Lump" by Presidents of the United States of America- they take me waaaaay back to the 90's. ;)

Queens of the Stone Age also rock- I love "Sick sick sick".

ETA- oh yeah, the Crystal Method rock! Thanks for the reminder on that one- I should dig out my cd and rip it. I love "Busy Child" too. The Prodigy is also pretty awesome to run to, especially "Funky s***", "Smack my b**** up" and "Breathe". Oh and "Firestarter".
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 pm

I'm loving the Maroon 5 song "Won't Go Home Without You". I think it sounds like 3 or 4 80s songs mixed up together. Very catchy!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:44 pm

Picked up a great new album the other day, Streetlight Manifesto "Somewhere in the Between". Punk-Ska, pretty upbeat, sort of Madness meets the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Finished my speedwork yesterday with Fatboy Slim, Rockafeller Skank. Perfect song for uptempo running.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:17 pm

I downloaded two songs that are admittedly VERY guilty pleasures. However they both have a great beat and were fun to run to.
Rhianna- don't stop the music
Flo Rida- Low (this is the "apple bottom jeans" song and I also have a pretty great song/dance routine for when it comes on the radio in the car. Dave loves it. :lol:)
Yeah I'm not going to say they're musically great songs, but they get me moving.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Rhianna- don't stop the music
Flo Rida- Low

Ha! I listened to both of them when I was at the gym tonight. Love them both for running.

Return to “Gearing Up”