Stores - Running Apparel

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
Monk
Bruce Kidd

Stores - Running Apparel

Postby Monk » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:10 pm

Hey... can anyone recommend stores in their city that stock running gear, other than 'that other place'?
Anything from Winners (saw that in another thread) to somewhere that is a running only tech shop...

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:17 pm

Edmonton:

I like Winners, MEC, and Sport Chek. There are also the other sport stores (Coast Mountain, SportMart) but SportChek gives me airmiles and a huge selection!!!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:35 pm

Anywhere: MEC, Costco, and Mark's Work Wearhouse.

MEC: 'nuff said. Great stuff, good price, knowledgeable staff. I wouldn't buy something anywhere until I've comparison shopped at MEC.

Costco: you have to be lucky, but I have bought shorts, running capris, lots of tops, microfibre underwear (yes! and it's very comfy!), fleece, and even their own version of the camelback ($25 for two different sized backpacks and the bladder assembly. Love it!)

Mark's Work Wearhouse: coolmax socks, but especially winter stuff, including fleece toques, headbands and mittens. My personal favourite is the balaclava that I got there last winter.

Shoes in Edmonton: I still like the Tech Shop for shoes, but my favourite is the good old St. Albert Running Room. They really know their stuff.
Jen

*The maniac formerly known as gjennifer*

Back at it! 2019 goal Edmonton Hypo Half February 3rd

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:38 pm

As stated in a previous post, I am a shopaholic. I travel ALOT for my job, so have pretty well hit every running store in the Greater troonto region and South Western Ontario.

here goes:

Toronto: The Runners Shop has GREAT sales on clothes.

Toronto: Time 2 Run. 3 locations, Queens Quay, Barrie and Aurora. Nice store, knowledgable staff, will try to order you whatever they don't have. Good sales. Tri clothes.

Kitchener/Waterloo: Runners Choice. Locally owned and operated, great people, great selection of different clothing. They are also into Tri clothing. I lived here for 6 years and love these people. I buy stuff here as much as possible to support them. :lol:

Burlington: Foot Tools. GREAT people. So knowlegable and helpful. A couple whose love of running lead them to opening a store. I try to shop their whenever in the area.

Guelph: The Running Works. Again, a husband and wife team. Independant, so they can order you pretty much anything you are looking for.

London: Runners Choice. Only been in here once, but they have good selection

Paris (Ontario): The Runners Den. Small town, great people.

Georgetown: Feet in Motion. Only been here once, but lots of Sugoi clothes for women.

Markham: Running Free. 15% off to everyone HUGE store, great selection of both clothes and shoes. They have a big sale section.

Windsor: The Running Store. ALOT of Tri stuff.

OK, I'm sure you all wonder if I ever work!! Truth is, I do, but when I'm travelling I go into the LOCAL, INDEPENDANT store to ask for maps, etc. I try to stay away for the chain stores :wink: :wink: Mom and Pop are where its at!!

I really want to open my own store...can you tell?? Maybe I should pack up and head out west.....or east...hahaha
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Monk
Bruce Kidd

Postby Monk » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:48 am

lovethehills wrote:OK, I'm sure you all wonder if I ever work!! Truth is, I do, but when I'm travelling I go into the LOCAL, INDEPENDANT store to ask for maps, etc. I try to stay away for the chain stores :wink: :wink: Mom and Pop are where its at!!

ya, this is what I am all about. I really strive to support local business when I can... :)

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:31 am

I too try and support local business..I'm self employed and I know what it's like to go out on the limb! Plus I figure supporting local business helps keep the money in the local economy.

Kingston: Runner's Choice. Located right across from the Running Room on Princess Street. Al Cantlay the owner is a wealth of knowledge (and a very fast runner)...his store has been open for 20 years. It's here that I discovered Sugoi. Yes...Sugoi is not the cheapest brand...but the quality is great...and I love the design and colourful fabric they use. Plus it's a Canadian company (from B.C.)
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

lovethehills
Bill Crothers

Postby lovethehills » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:32 pm

It's here that I discovered Sugoi. Yes...Sugoi is not the cheapest brand...but the quality is great...and I love the design and colourful fabric they use. Plus it's a Canadian company (from B.C.)

I think Sugoi is fantasic as well. Their sports bras are great, fit super-well with tonnes of support! Being Canadian is a plus!
"Only through curiosity can we discover opportunities, and only through gambling can we take advantage of them."

Portentous
Bill Crothers

Postby Portentous » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:11 pm

Wal-mart has wicking socks 3 pairs for $5! Can't beat that.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:10 am

In Toronto (and on-line) is Endurosport. They specialize in multi-sport clothing and gear, but a fair amount of running-specific stuff, too. Their main store is up at York Mills & Leslie (Coldwater Rd.) and they also have a small store in the Beach (Queen & Willow). www.endurosport.com

For cycling gear, Velotique is awesome. They don't sell bikes, but all things related to cycling and cross-country skiing (clothing, gear and gagets). They are on Queen St. E. near Coxwell. www.velotique.com The most fun item in the store is a plastic banana holder for $5.95.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:36 am

Wow, lovethehills, you hit on all my favourite places!

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:23 pm

See my thread on Tri & Run Sports and drop in if you are ever down in Trenton. It is locally owned by the girl who got me inspired to run.
Jane

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Sale at MEC

Postby wantmeback » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Bump.

I just checked out MEC's site, and it looks like quite a few of their items are going on sale. Looks like it's time to plan that trip, Holly! :D
Jen

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Sale at MEC

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:12 pm

gjennifer wrote:Bump.

I just checked out MEC's site, and it looks like quite a few of their items are going on sale. Looks like it's time to plan that trip, Holly! :D

woohoo! let's do it... um... not this weekend cuz we have that thing... oh yeah, ING, lol. hey are you going to the volunteer dinner on thursday? we could meet at MEC after work and then go up to the dinner... or do MEC another day.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

farmgirlinthecity
Bill Crothers

Postby farmgirlinthecity » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:06 pm

LaDeChat wrote:
For cycling gear, Velotique is awesome. They don't sell bikes, but all things related to cycling and cross-country skiing (clothing, gear and gagets). They are on Queen St. E. near Coxwell. www.velotique.com The most fun item in the store is a plastic banana holder for $5.95.

In case you are interested in alternate colours or glow in the dark...

http://www.bananaguard.com/
Jenn

A Fit Mom is a Powerful Mom

“When nothing seems to help, I go look at a stonecutter hammering away at his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it. Yet at the hundred and first blow - it will split in two, and I know it was not that blow that did it, but all that had gone before.” Jacob Riis

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:08 pm

wow....what teenage girl wouldn't get made fun of for having that in her lunch?!

my mom once sent me to school with alchohol....she thought it was just "iced tea"! (my older sister was storing her long island in the family fridge).....
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

wantmeback
Bill Crothers

Postby wantmeback » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:55 pm

irongirl wrote:my mom once sent me to school with alchohol....she thought it was just "iced tea"! (my older sister was storing her long island in the family fridge).....

ha ha ha ha ha! :lol: :lol:
Jen

Monolithic
Johnny Miles

Postby Monolithic » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:05 pm

I was in Old Navy yesterday and bought 2 long sleeved running shirts, for 17.50 each...go & check them out while still in stock....
"Gasp, cough, cough! Wheeze! Hack! Cough, Gasp, Hack, Cough, Cough Cough!! "
my first 2k.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:09 pm

Oromocto: (as well as other miltary bases, likely)

Canex
They carry pollypropeline - sp? (polly-pro) thermal wicking underware in regular and fleece. I think the shirts and pants are about $20 each.

They also carry running and yoga wear, tech fabrics.

Fredericton:

MEC (I don't know first hand, but I would assume)
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:46 pm

Regattasport in St. Catherines has a lot of 'non-rowing specific' technical
wear : http://www.regattasport.com/ , and they do mail order.
"You're in over your head Donny..."

moof324
Bill Crothers

Postby moof324 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:08 pm

Road Runner Sports in San Diego is great! They have a store and an outlet here, and also a great website, web selection, etc. And if you're a VIP member, you get free upgraded shipping plus 10% off normal rates for everything! I think they may have one or two other locations, but not sure :)

Plus, they're right across the street from REI, which I LOVE for dark side stuff (and climbing gear :P )
2010: Cautiously coming back from 14 months of injury!
June 12: Race for the Cure 5K, Raleigh
June 26: Legal Run-Around 5K, Wilmington (28:51, PR!)
Jan. 8-9, 2011: Goofy!

Marathon Count: 6
Half Count: 7

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 pm

CdnArtyWife wrote:Oromocto: (as well as other miltary bases, likely)

Canex
They carry pollypropeline - sp? (polly-pro) thermal wicking underware in regular and fleece. I think the shirts and pants are about $20 each.

Do you have to be in the military to shop at Canex? If so do you know if there is one at any of the Halifax bases?

I have a friend at the Oromocto base but don't think I'd send him to buy me underwear. :oops:
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:33 pm

I think most military bases have a Canex. We have one here in Trenton but it's not all that big so doesn't have much selection of anything .... too much outside competition I guess. I have never once in 16 years been asked for my ID at the Canex here. Maybe because they know me, but I doubt it! As far as I know, they are supposed to ask for ID. When I was in Esquimalt in June we went to the Canex (it was twice the size of our Canex) and got asked there. Do they ask in Gagetown, Kara?
Jane

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:04 pm

lonerunner wrote:
CdnArtyWife wrote:Oromocto: (as well as other miltary bases, likely)

Canex

Do you have to be in the military to shop at Canex? If so do you know if there is one at any of the Halifax bases?

I have a friend at the Oromocto base but don't think I'd send him to buy me underwear. :oops:

As fra as I know the only CANEX left in Hfx is at Shearwater. I understand they closed down the one in Dartmouth (used to be Shannon Park/Wallace Heights, but they're not military housing anymore)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

ckct
Johnny Miles

Postby ckct » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:57 am

MEC is a bad place to go..everytime i go...i will spend hours endlessly looking at every gadget and clothing...then come out with gears and 100 dollar less....

hmm it is the only store that can make me all giggly like a kid with a lollipop :)

Love the store..love the products..love the quality and love the company
Looking through the eyes of a Christian Triathlete
http://ckct.blogspot.com/

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Just came back from Costco with 3 long sleeve AVIA coolmax shirts. Only $16.99 each. I have a few of their short sleeve shirts and love them.

Just wanted to let everyone know they were there.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

Return to “Gearing Up”