Stores - Running Apparel

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
invisible
Percy Williams

Postby invisible » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm

jgore wrote:Many long-time members of this forum were originally members of the Running Room discussion board - some still are. There was some "tension" between the two for a while, for reasons that aren't important. The Running Room was referred to as "that other place" or just "the RR".

Ah! :) I post at that forum, very infrequently and not for quite some time. I do find that the store has some high quality apparel and a return policy that I've never seen matched. I bought my Garmin 205 there for that very reason.
90 percent of the game is not giving up.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:20 am

I just got my shoes at Running Warehouse.com for $71.99, regularly $139! Almost half price! I am shipping to the US, so that saves a bundle, but I'm sure it's still quite a bit cheaper to ship to Canada as well. They delivered the shoes to my aunt's place within two days the last time I ordered from them.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

myfeethurt
Percy Williams

Out There Adventure Centre

Postby myfeethurt » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:36 pm

If you're in Calgary, come check us out @ Out There Adventure Centre (151 8th ave sw, on the corner of Stephen Avenue Mall)

We're not a running secialty store but trail running is definitely one of our core interests. We have some great brands like Pearl Izumi, Vasque, Sugoi, Mountain Hardwear, Salomon, The North Face, Marmot, IceBreaker and Arc'Teryx, all of which have some great gear to offer runners. Come in and say hi when you get the chance, and check out our trail running club retuning this spring! (details @ www.liveoutthere.com)

-Colin Matthews
colin@liveoutthere.ca

run gator run
Percy Williams

Postby run gator run » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Nobody has mentioned the Designer Depot - kind of an upscale Winners owned by HBC.
http://www.hbc.com/designerdepot/

They only have locations in the GTA and some out West. My location has about four racks of short sleeves, pants and shorts - all at good prices.

I didn't see what was on the ladies side but if the regular clothes are anything to go by, then it's probably extensive.

Winners is good also. I picked up 3 Adidas half zip long sleeves and a base layer top for $100 - :D
I cannot put into words how it feels to run because it's all about feelings, and feelings are the hardest things to put to words.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:54 pm

If you're ever in the Buffalo area, check out Runner's Roost in Orchard Park (it's on North Buffalo St). The guy who fitted Dave (Bob) was super knowledgeable and nice. The prices were pretty good as well- my Trigon Rides were $90 for this year's model and last year's model were $69. Dave's NB 903s (I think... they're bright yellow lightweights) were $90 as well I believe.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:19 am

Went on a bit of a running "shopping spree" on Friday due to it being August and that's when those wonderful sales on summer gear start before all that "back to school" cr*p starts.

I got alot of wonderful stuff at Sportsmart at Gloucester Centre in Ottawa (but there are alot of Sportsmarts around). They have alot of stuff marked down 50%.

I got an Adidas s/s tech Clima365 hoodie in grey/aqua for $20 (reg $39), 2 Nike dryfit s/s shirts in a dark violet and a lime green for $20 (reg $39), a Adidas Clima365 s/s in a really cool dark lime for $19, a Nike Pro sports bra for $20 (reg $39). I got a Nike dryfit s/s shirt there 2 weeks ago for $29, so the prices are further marked down this week. I don't like the shoe selection there though.

I went to Lululemon and got two bounce breaker sports bras because I keep losing weight (that is good) and running bras are expensive. These are adjustable by quite alot and by running in one yesterday, they are really great and I highly recommend them. The price was nasty (they were about $50 each - and weren't on sale) but I would get these again. I was told that there was a sale there but there was very few things marked down there and only by about $10 and limited size and colour selections were on sale.

Got some great running capris (okay, so they are yoga capris, but they are soooo comfortable and have these little pockets . . . ) at Old Navy, which also has some great sales in their summer clothes. I paid about $15 each for them as opposed to almost the same capris at Lululemon for $85. They have some good, cheap athletic wear if you look hard enough.

I went to Running Room also and got the New Balance Biocool Bamboo shirt (which wasn't on sale) but it felt sooooo good on my skin and I had to get it and I am glad I did. I also looked into getting another pair of Adidas Adistar Comfort 6 before they went away. I saw one on the display shelf, so I started getting excited that they would have a pair, but they didn't have one in my size (size 9). I hope I can get another pair before mine wear out and they go extinct.

Well, that's my shopping day on Friday! Hit lots of clothing sales!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 am

For those in BC, Lower Mainland, I highly recommend the Runners' Den in Port Moody. The service is second to none. Paul and Penny are very involved with the community from having toy drives and food bank boxes at Christmas to supporting the Eagle Ridge Hospital Fund. The staff is awesome. They can fit anyone with the perfect runner.
Also run clinics for half/full marathon training as well as Tuesday night runs that have a group for everyone from walker to marathoner.
LOVE THE DEN.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Grand River Running: out of business.
Last edited by gnu on Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plods
Percy Williams

Postby Plods » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 pm

I opened this thread expecting Sports 4 in Ottawa/Kanata to be plugged early and often.

WTF? I'm new -- have they been blacklisted or something I don't know about?

If not, it needs to be high on any list for Ontario. Independent, great staff for the most part, and tons of stuff on sale. (Today I saw a bunch of name-brand long-sleeve technical tees for $20-25, for example.)

Only downside is that -- at least at the downtown store -- is that I can never figure out how they divide their space genderwise, so I always have to be alert that I am not browsing the women's stuff. (I mean, you know, tights and stuff where the clothes look alike -- I usually have no trouble with the underwear.)

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Plods wrote:I opened this thread expecting Sports 4 in Ottawa/Kanata to be plugged early and often.

WTF? I'm new -- have they been blacklisted or something I don't know about?

If not, it needs to be high on any list for Ontario. Independent, great staff for the most part, and tons of stuff on sale. (Today I saw a bunch of name-brand long-sleeve technical tees for $20-25, for example.)

Only downside is that -- at least at the downtown store -- is that I can never figure out how they divide their space genderwise, so I always have to be alert that I am not browsing the women's stuff. (I mean, you know, tights and stuff where the clothes look alike -- I usually have no trouble with the underwear.)

I agree - Sports4 is great! I work around the corner, and stop by there often. But yes - their layout could use some work. I find they often have things in more than one spot in the store, which makes it hard to compare when you are looking for something particular.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

CdnMarathonGirl
Tom Longboat

Postby CdnMarathonGirl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:11 am

gnu wrote:They have a website at www.grandriverrunning.com, but it doesn't have any content yet.

Just went to check out the website and it's actually: www.grandriverrunning.ca - still no content yet.

danziggirl
Tom Longboat

Postby danziggirl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:17 pm

National Sports are really good if you go to their S.O.S. (can't remember what it stands for). I got a couple of great running jackets - New Balance -one was $20 and the other $30. They may not be this years designs but - who cares?
Pauline

Boston 2008
10 km 2008 48.39
Scotiabank Marathon 2009 3.56.32 PB + BQ
Half Marathon 2007 1.50.00
5 km 2005 23.42
Around the Bay 2008 2.49.22

lxiao
Bruce Kidd

Postby lxiao » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 am

I've searched high and low but can't find the old threads on where to buy shoes online...last pair I bought came from a store in Ontario recommended by someone on this forum, but I can't for the life of me find the receipt so don't have the name of the place...got a great price though.

Can anyone suggest some sites that sell shoes at a great price? (QuickChick, I know you mentioned runningwarehouse.com but they only ship Asics to the US, not Canada :-( )
Thanks!!
Lifetime race count: 6 Halfs, 6 Fulls, part of a Death Race, some 10Ks thrown in there too
Marathon #5 dedicated to my sister and all cancer survivors...please see this link for my dedication: http://www3.telus.net/ccandhh

I'd like to be a glowworm, a glowworm's never glum; 'cause how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm looking for the name of that on-line running shoe place too...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:35 pm

"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:59 pm

Yes! Thanks!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

bgroot
Johnny Miles

Re: Stores - Running Apparel

Postby bgroot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:24 pm

For places here in London, both the Running Room and Runner's Choice can be helpful in finding shoes and gels and some routes for running and all that. Great staff at both stores. Lululemon is also a good place to go for great clothing and run accessories as well as info on community events and yoga classes and many stores have a run club once a week. I work there, and with my running background, its always great to be able to chat with some out of towners about their running and training.
Brian

Upcoming races:
Rotorua Marathon, New Zealand

http://www.mindfulnessrunning.com

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:39 pm

bgroot wrote:For places here in London, both the Running Room and Runner's Choice can be helpful in finding shoes and gels and some routes for running and all that. Great staff at both stores. Lululemon is also a good place to go for great clothing and run accessories as well as info on community events and yoga classes and many stores have a run club once a week. I work there, and with my running background, its always great to be able to chat with some out of towners about their running and training.

Brian, I was actually in the store Friday afternoon, but you were too busy and I didn't want to interrupt to say "Hello!" I may be in tomorrow to get one of those great "first 5 minute" shrugs for my race Saturday. They're awesome :D

As for London, yes -we're pretty darned limited for shoes especially. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I've been able to find some great on-line sources as well as making sure I hit up the other running stores whenever I travel. Good to know that you're doing a run club from the store though. If you ever need any help, let me know! I've got lots of experience and would be more than happy to lend a hand.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

opcougar
Bruce Kidd

Postby opcougar » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:17 am

Reviving this old thread....if anyone spots a good deal again at costco or elsewhere, please let the masses know

Thx
Mick

Completed Races:

* London UK marathon
* Stockholm marathon
* Los Angeles marathon
* A number of 5k races

Upcoming Races:

* Montreal Half Marathon 18 April 10
* Minto Run for Reach 21.1km Half 25 April 10
* Quebec City International Half-Marathon 2 May 10
* Ottawa Marathon 30 May 10
* Liechtenstein Alpine Marathon 12 June 10
* Army Run 19 Sept 10

Albertatraildog
Bruce Kidd

Postby Albertatraildog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Its getting really hard to find an online US seller who will ship Asics to Canada. Neither Holabird nor Road Runner Sports will ship them now (online or telephone orders). I just hate to pay double for them here, but I have to have my 2150's and DS Trainers.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Albertatraildog wrote:Its getting really hard to find an online US seller who will ship Asics to Canada. Neither Holabird nor Road Runner Sports will ship them now (online or telephone orders). I just hate to pay double for them here, but I have to have my 2150's and DS Trainers.

lots of maniacs travelling to the US at any given time! just have to coordinate it. ;)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 am

If you're ever in Saskatoon, I recommend Brainsport on Broadway. They've always been great to deal with, and they are active in supporting/promoting running in the community. The owner is still quite the active runner - won the Saskatoon marathon last year IIRC.

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:19 pm

http://www.33-off.com/
Prices are pretty good! The store is Le Coureur in Sherbrooke, QC.
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

I've been known to score great deals on dri-fit gear at Winners. Also, I saw NB 1063's (I use 1064's) there, but they were all aize 14/15....I'm usually 12/13... :( I'll keep looking though...

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

tintallie
Percy Williams

Postby tintallie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:10 am

I purchase my gear all over Calgary, but I do favour some stores over others.

Shoes: Gord's Running Store
Shoes (sometimes, the advice I have gotten wasn't as helpful as Gord's): Strides Running
Clothing/Outdoor Gear: Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), Campers Village, Lululemon, Wholesale Sports Outfitter
Online: natureshop.com for Icebreaker clothing (free shipping to Canada and 10% off USD retail)
Online(never tried, but will in the future since they ship to Canada for a reasonable amount): zombierunner.com and seejanerun.com

Return to “Gearing Up”