Needing a mental boost

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 am

redhead wrote:... and the photographer had arbitrarily decided to stop taking photos at 2:30:00 ... so I missed getting a finish line photo by 30 seconds. :roll:

I wasn't the photographer for this one, but this is an issue I've struggled with, and continue to struggle with, as a photographer.

At some point, it is no longer financially feasible for us to stay. We don't go if there is someone in sight, but at some point, we do have to leave :(

We wouldn't leave at 2:30 for a half though.

\hijack

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:28 pm

Babysteps, PLEASE forgive the hijack, but I want to reply to LadyJ.

I see your point Jess (honestly I do), but see the guy facing me, in the brown shirt and grey pants, holding the camera. He was the photographer. He just didn't bother to raise the camera to take the picture. He was right there. It's not like I snuck up on him. :wink: This photo (shot from behind) was taken by my DH. I wouldn't have minded so much if the photographer had actually left the vacinity at 2:30:00. (Plus, in previous years the photographers stayed till the end, which meant like 10-15 more minutes for the Grapes HM.) (2:30:30 was my chip time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry Babysteps ... carry on/

(Babysteps' point when she started this thread was partially about the tribulations experienced by those of us who come in the last 10% of a HM. I guess not getting a photo is just one more of those tribulations.) :D

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:37 pm

redhead wrote:
I see your point Jess (honestly I do), but see the guy facing me, in the brown shirt and grey pants, holding the camera. He was the photographer. He just didn't bother to raise the camera to take the picture. He was right there. It's not like I snuck up on him. :wink: This photo (shot from behind) was taken by my DH. I wouldn't have minded so much if the photographer had actually left the vacinity at 2:30:00. (Plus, in previous years the photographers stayed till the end, which meant like 10-15 more minutes for the Grapes HM.) (2:30:30 was my chip time)

That's totally not cool! We would never do that!!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:55 pm

LadyJ wrote:
redhead wrote:

I agree-- totally not cool. :evil:

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:03 pm

LadyJ wrote:
redhead wrote:

LadyJ, do you guys do analysis as to which part of the pack buys the most pictures? Say in five minute increments, photos sold vs runners photographed? You don't have to give details, I just wonder if you study it?
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm

BJH wrote:LadyJ, do you guys do analysis as to which part of the pack buys the most pictures? Say in five minute increments, photos sold vs runners photographed? You don't have to give details, I just wonder if you study it?

I don't think we have, but I'm sure Joe could do it. I'll ask him...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Jwolf wrote:
LadyJ wrote:
redhead wrote:

I agree-- totally not cool. :evil:

Not cool :roll:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Babysteps, I'm not taking responsibility for this major hijack. LadyJ started it. :D

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 pm

It's all good! :)

I like having a long thread. Makes me feel important.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Whew! Just don't forget to include tomorrow's blistering-pace 10k run report. :D

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Well, the way I figure it, based on Vdot values and an assumed increase of one Vdot value every 4-6 weeks, I should qualify for Boston in the Fall of 2010, which because of when my birthday lies would actually allow me to qualify for 2 years. So I'm going to go book my reservation for a nice Boston Hotel tomorrow.

How exciting!

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:46 pm

I can find no flaws in your logic at all Babysteps.
Let us know when you get your bib number so we can track you.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:50 pm

babysteps wrote:It's all good! :)

I like having a long thread. Makes me feel important.

It was an accident, promise :D

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:10 pm

LadyJ wrote:
BJH wrote:LadyJ, do you guys do analysis as to which part of the pack buys the most pictures? Say in five minute increments, photos sold vs runners photographed? You don't have to give details, I just wonder if you study it?

Part of the reason I ask is that, although you guys do a great job of photographing everyone well, some photographers tend to take photos from angles that aren't good for the slower runners. I think they are missing a lot of sales that way. Some of the photographers just don't seem to get it.

An anecdote: a few years ago I paced one of MINI-T's friends at Scotiabank. As we came into the finish, I took her water bottle belt and jacket from her to 1) make things a bit lighter for the final kick and 2) make for a better finish photo. I moved off to the side as we went over the mat and the photographer took a picture of me (the pack mule) and not her. I was pissed, but that photographer lost a sale. J would have bought a photo from her first half marathon. I certainly wasn't buying a photo from that race.

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:12 pm

babysteps wrote:Well I'm home watching the Boston Marathon and it's pretty inspiring! I think if I just train a bit more I should be there next year. Too bad today is a rest day because I feel like going for a blistering 10k run at 4:30 pace. I guess I'll need to put it off to tomorrow. Must respect the schedule you know.

:wink:

I think you should do that. See how long you can hold that pace. And then try it again. ;)

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

BJH wrote:
LadyJ wrote:

Part of the reason I ask is that, although you guys do a great job of photographing everyone well, some photographers tend to take photos from angles that aren't good for the slower runners. I think they are missing a lot of sales that way. Some of the photographers just don't seem to get it.

An anecdote: a few years ago I paced one of MINI-T's friends at Scotiabank. As we came into the finish, I took her water bottle belt and jacket from her to 1) make things a bit lighter for the final kick and 2) make for a better finish photo. I moved off to the side as we went over the mat and the photographer took a picture of me (the pack mule) and not her. I was pissed, but that photographer lost a sale. J would have bought a photo from her first half marathon. I certainly wasn't buying a photo from that race.

I agree. Also for some of the slower runners it may be their first race and they want a lasting memory. Some of the speedier people may not be as interested in one more photo to add to their collection.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 pm

getfit wrote:
BJH wrote:
LadyJ wrote:

I agree. Also for some of the slower runners it may be their first race and they want a lasting memory. Some of the speedier people may not be as interested in one more photo to add to their collection.

As someone who is going to be running her first and it certainly will be longer than 2:30 - I was planning on buying LOTS of photos, to give to the people who helped me finish it, me, my parents, my neurologist, my pace bunny (don't tell her :shhh: ), but if I'm not worth it to the race photogs, too bad, they just lost out on lots of $! I would think the first time racers would be the main $ maker for pictures.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:34 pm

BJH wrote:
babysteps wrote:Well I'm home watching the Boston Marathon and it's pretty inspiring! I think if I just train a bit more I should be there next year. Too bad today is a rest day because I feel like going for a blistering 10k run at 4:30 pace. I guess I'll need to put it off to tomorrow. Must respect the schedule you know.

:wink:

I think you should do that. See how long you can hold that pace. And then try it again. ;)

Maybe I will.

We should take bets on how long I can hold that pace. At 4:30 I'll probably fall off the TM. Maybe we should make it a 5:00 pace.

Let the betting begin:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:13 pm

BJH wrote:

Joe and I are working on developing a style guide. Let's just say that this point is covered. We're trying to train all Zoom photographers to take flattering pictures of everyone. There's definitely a knack to getting a good picture of everyone!

BJH wrote:An anecdote: a few years ago I paced one of MINI-T's friends at Scotiabank. As we came into the finish, I took her water bottle belt and jacket from her to 1) make things a bit lighter for the final kick and 2) make for a better finish photo. I moved off to the side as we went over the mat and the photographer took a picture of me (the pack mule) and not her. I was pissed, but that photographer lost a sale. J would have bought a photo from her first half marathon. I certainly wasn't buying a photo from that race.

Unless she was somehow being blocked by another runner and the photographer couldn't get the shot, I can't see why they would have done this. Dumb. If a pack of people are coming through at the same time, it's easy to get the ones in front and on the sides, but the person in behind often gets left out. I don't think that's what happened to your friend though.

Carrie wrote:As someone who is going to be running her first and it certainly will be longer than 2:30 - I was planning on buying LOTS of photos, to give to the people who helped me finish it, me, my parents, my neurologist, my pace bunny (don't tell her :shhh: ), but if I'm not worth it to the race photogs, too bad, they just lost out on lots of $! I would think the first time racers would be the main $ maker for pictures.

Joe says he hasn't done the analysis, but I'd say that this is likely true. Not too many 'elite' athletes buy photos (from us anyway). We definitely think you're worth it Carrie - unfortunately we aren't the NCM photographers.

And...end hijack :wink:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:36 pm

[continue hijack]

I'm proud of LadyJ for her multiplie quotings in her post... and her excellent answers to the questions. :) You and Joe make a great business pair at Zoom. :)

[/hijack]

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Carrie wrote:I would think the first time racers would be the main $ maker for pictures.

That was my thought too. It's a big deal for a first-timer.

Jwolf wrote:[continue hijack]

I'm proud of LadyJ for her multiplie quotings in her post... and her excellent answers to the questions. :) You and Joe make a great business pair at Zoom. :)

[/hijack]

I concur. As Babysteps said, hijack away....... :D

babysteps wrote:We should take bets on how long I can hold that pace. At 4:30 I'll probably fall off the TM. Maybe we should make it a 5:00 pace.

Let the betting begin:

Hmmmm... well I don't know what your training paces are, but I'll bet 2 minutes. That would be 400m. You could do intervals. I don't think I could do a 100m stride at that pace. :lol:

Actually my treadmill doesn't even go that high. The fastest speed is 7 mph (about 5:19/k). I don't use that button at all. :oops:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:16 pm

redhead wrote:
babysteps wrote:We should take bets on how long I can hold that pace. At 4:30 I'll probably fall off the TM. Maybe we should make it a 5:00 pace.

Let the betting begin:

Hmmmm... well I don't know what your training paces are, but I'll bet 2 minutes. That would be 400m. You could do intervals. I don't think I could do a 100m stride at that pace. :lol:

Actually my treadmill doesn't even go that high. The fastest speed is 7 mph (about 5:19/k). I don't use that button at all. :oops:

4:30/km is about the pace I used to be able to do 800m intervals. On the treadmill that's 8.3 mph and I'd do it for 3.5 minutes. That was tough--2.5 minutes rest and then repeat, starting at 5 reps. That's a tough interval pace for me...
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 pm

:lol: You're speedy Jenn, but maybe not so great at quoting. :wink:
re: 5:00/km
It looks like YOU said, "I don't think I could do a 100m stride at that pace". :shock:

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:49 pm

redhead wrote::lol: You're speedy Jenn, but maybe not so great at quoting. :wink:
:oops:

fixed it. :)

redhead
Bill Crothers

Postby redhead » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:51 pm

That's more like it! :wink:

Oops... I guess we're still hijacking.
Sorry Babysteps. :D

Return to “The Scenic Route”