Happy Australia Day Tuesday

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

Marg
Site Admin

Re: Happy Australia Day Tuesday

Postby Marg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 am

Sherry I've been battling some stomach woes too. I think there is a bug going around.

In other news...Day 1 of active recovery.... a bit of a bust.
Did 1 mile on the tm to see how it felt and pay attn to form. Plan was 2 miles. I was done at 1.
Tried the bike. Felt good but was very painful when I dismounted the saddle.

Stretched a lot, didn't help.

This is not going to be a quick fix.

Also, ankle stengthening exercises gratefully being accepted, thanks! As noted in my injury thread, my ankle is still nowhere near healed... I've just been ignoring it blissfully. :shifty:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:33 am

kc wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:no run for me today... just physio exercises and planks. :)

I'm curious, are you doing planks every day for the challenge or every other day?

what I'm *trying* to do is physio and planks on the days that I don't run. I'm not hitting it 100%, but getting closer. :) Last week I think I did 3 run days and 3 physio/plank days.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:44 am

Started marathon training this morning. Will be posting all my runs in my journal thread and let others start the threads at oh-dark-thirty. Was a mix of conditions out there today, bare pavement with nice patches of black ice. Makes for an alert run.

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:12 pm

8km later today for me - not sure if it will be outside or on the TM yet. Depends on how wimpy I feel.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:44 pm

4 miles this morning, 4.3 miles this afternoon.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Another 10km on the TM in the books.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm

45 minute spin and 20 very gentle minutes on the TM (5 mph), neither of which I've done in a long time. Throw in some more core and cleaning tonight and I might just keep my sanity and avoid gaining 50 pounds.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 pm

ian wrote:45 minute spin and 20 very gentle minutes on the TM (5 mph), neither of which I've done in a long time. Throw in some more core and cleaning tonight and I might just keep my sanity and avoid gaining 50 pounds.

Ian's spinning? what the hell? is it 2012 or what? is this some kind of joke or is the world ending? who replaced Ian?

:lol:
Race Hard. Race Happy.

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm

30 minute ride am
20 minute tempo ride pm

Found out my new pb of 19:35 from a xc race, the clocks were started 2 minutes early so the 20:03 5.1km course converts to 19:35 :D
Last edited by ROW on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:00 pm

Managed to do 6 miles at lunchtime, some headwind coming back to gym. Overall had good tempo speed going (7:20/mi) out but the headwind an the cummuatve effects of training are starting to wear me down a bit, and I was more like 7:45 coming back. My streak is no where as long as others--I'm just 28 days but I've bumped weekly miles from 35 or so up to 40, 50, 50 for the last 3 weeks. No injuries, but maybe should give up on a streak and take a rest day. We get a couple more days of -4 temps here in SW Ont before more winter arrives.

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Chiro visit done. Problem is not my ham but my spine...probably a growth impacting the sciatic nerve around L5/S1. Now for X-Rays and more fun, maybe even some acupuncture. He did do some ART on my back to try and help un-gum it. He had the receptionist come in and help him with some of the manipulations. At one point she moved my leg too fast and a searing pain shot right down my leg. I sucked in so hard I think I emptied the room of air and scared the sh1t out of her.....Now to go find the bag of frozen peas. Hope no-one ate them.
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Australia Day. I think to celebrate I'll either watch The Sound of Music, or perhaps a Schwartzenegger movie.

Still in cutback week. Aughh.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:29 pm

A student who had spent the past year in Australia brought in cookies and koala bear key chains to celebrate - what a sweet kid!

I ran 4 miles on the treadmill tonight, in 31:30. Feeling good!

Enjoy American Idol tonight, everyone!

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

HCmD wrote:
ROW wrote:Wrote my English exam, easiest thing ever. I'm expecting around 75-85% on it.

If it was "easiest thing ever" we'd be expecting 99-100% :twisted: :twisted: :wink: :lol:

ha. that's kinda what I thought!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:39 pm

CinC wrote:Ian's spinning? what the hell? is it 2012 or what? is this some kind of joke or is the world ending? who replaced Ian?

I tweaked my hip last weekend and can't really run for the next while. Maybe the cross-training will lead me to a new calling as a BOP triathlete. Or a maid.

JacSprat
Bill Crothers

Postby JacSprat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:55 pm

5k done at lunch - after the torrential downpours this morning and before the showers this afternoon :D Crazy at work since before Christmas which should be reduced to some form of normality at the end of Jan...which is Friday :dance: - so I booked Mon and Tues off next week to recouperate - which my manager then attempted to deny! I laughed :lol: ......I think he got the picture.

Hope everyone's having a good day.
Jacqui

------------------------
MyTraining

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Took a bye tonight... I went out and it was really dark. And cold. And windy. I just wanted to go inside. So, 10 minutes later, I did. :oops: I'm glad I'm not marathon training! I'm really tired as well and haven't been sleeping well, so I'm looking forward to just going to bed early! Hopefully tomorrow's run at RunPub will make up for tonight. :?
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm

QuickChick wrote:Took a bye tonight... I went out and it was really dark. And cold. And windy. I just wanted to go inside. So, 10 minutes later, I did. :oops: I'm glad I'm not marathon training! I'm really tired as well and haven't been sleeping well, so I'm looking forward to just going to bed early! Hopefully tomorrow's run at RunPub will make up for tonight. :?

oh! you're not helping! ;)

I wasn't going to run today....then, I had a great yoga class at lunch, and, thought - I should really run tonight...but, I have a chiro apt. early tomorrow morning, and, I'm not sure I want him working on a sore(er) hip. I'm torn......
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Chiro appointment is no reason not to run. If you're sore, though, that's reason to stay in. Don't take what I did as an example! I am a lazy a** tonight!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 pm

QuickChick wrote:Took a bye tonight... I went out and it was really dark. And cold. And windy. I just wanted to go inside. So, 10 minutes later, I did. :oops: I'm glad I'm not marathon training! I'm really tired as well and haven't been sleeping well, so I'm looking forward to just going to bed early! Hopefully tomorrow's run at RunPub will make up for tonight. :?

+1 for me on all those counts, except for RunPub. :( I am so tired that I feel sick and I had a bunch of errands that really needed to get done. I have a free night tomorrow night since Justin is working so I will be able to run then and still be on track for this week.

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 pm

Karen, you and Ray should come out to RunPub one night. You'd both like it!

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:14 pm

QuickChick wrote:Karen, you and Ray should come out to RunPub one night. You'd both like it!

Ray might like it, but I don't think there is anyone running as slow as I am. :lol: What time is it? Ray gets home pretty late and I normally have Justin with me on Wednesdays, but he has been working a lot lately! :o

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

kc wrote:
QuickChick wrote:Karen, you and Ray should come out to RunPub one night. You'd both like it!

Ray might like it, but I don't think there is anyone running as slow as I am. :lol: What time is it? Ray gets home pretty late and I normally have Justin with me on Wednesdays, but he has been working a lot lately! :o

There are groups at EVERY pace, don't worry. You're not slow!! We meet at about 6:15 to run at 6:30. It's fun fun fun!!

rockstar79
Bill Crothers

Postby rockstar79 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 pm

Cranky spin tonight. Glad it's done. Boourrrrrrrrns.
Next?
:)

cavia porcellus
Johnny Miles

Postby cavia porcellus » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:50 pm

5.5km done between jobs today. The legs protested a bit in the beginning since they've had a 72-hour vacation from running. Yesterday's run was scrapped because I was unable to eat all day...the dentist froze half my head for a simple surface restoration of one of my fillings. My eye was frozen, my whole tongue was frozen, my ear canal was frozen....total overkill! I sounded like Bill Cosby doing his dentist bit.
~ every time I run, I win ~ Alicia Snell

Return to “General Running Discussion”