Starbucks Red Velvet cupcakes

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Starbucks Red Velvet cupcakes

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:25 pm

I posted this on my Facebook profile but for anyone that didn't see... This is very important stuff! ;)

Did Starbucks change the red velvet cupcakes this year? I seem to remember last year they were chocolate, made to look red through some acid-base chemistry process. This year they taste like nothing-- maybe a hint of lemon, but no real flavour.

Am I remembering the old version incorrectly? And what is the appeal of the red ones now? I like the vanilla and chocolate. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Starbucks Red Velvet cupcakes

Postby La » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm

I think there are two ways of making Red Velvet cake: one is the chemical interaction between the buttermilk and the cocoa powder, which turns the batter somewhat "red." The other is through the addition of red food colouring to the batter.

I haven't tried *$ cupcakes, so I can't comment on whether they've changed from last year to this year.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm making these this afternoon, for my Thursday delectable delight in honor of Braveheart's Nanna.

http://bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com/ ... ecipe.html

I think by far one of the most popular cupcakes are Red Velvet Cupcakes.

Red Velvet Cupcakes are by far my favorite kind of cupcake. And I will share with you the best recipe I know of.

First some background. What are "red velvet" cupcakes?

Red Velvet Cupcakes are rich chocolate cupcakes. They are called red velvet due to their distinctive rich red color. Originally, cocoa used to be a lighter shade and what gave red velvet cupcakes their unique color was a chemical reaction of unprocessed cocoa with the acid in the buttermilk. You can still buy this type of cocoa, however now more often then not it is red food coloring that makes the cupcakes red. I prefer to use the lighter cocoa for my red velvet cupcakes because food coloring is bad for you and the less chemicals we put in our bodies, the better. One thing's for sure, if your serious about baking you should know a little bit about health and food.

Red velvet cupcakes traditionally come with boiled frosting which happens to be my favorite kind of frosting. However, nowadays red velvet cupcake recipe usually calls for cream cheese frosting.

The red velvet cupcake recipe I am going to give you will allow you the opportunity to add either cream cheese, boiled frosting, or any other white frosting you desire. With thisred velvet cupcake recipe, any white frosting will do.

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. red food coloring (two bottles) or 4 oz beet juice (if you use unprocessed light cocoa you can leave out the food dyes and you'll get a warm red/brown color)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-cup muffin tins or silicone pans with cupcake liners.

2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, mix food coloring and cocoa powder to form a thin paste without lumps and set aside.

3. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about three minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as you go. Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the buttermilk. Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of buttermilk. End with the last third of the flour mixture, beat until well combined, making sure to scrape down the bowl with a spatula.

4. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Be careful as it will fizz so don't do it in a shallow bowl. Add vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir well to combine. Fill cupcake cups with cake batter until they are a little under 3/4 full. I ended up with 20 cupcakes. Place muffin tins in your preheated oven. Bake for approximately 20, rotating pans halfway through. The cupcakes are done when you are able to pat the tops and the cake springs back up. If it sinks down they are not yet complete. Or you can insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake in the center of the tin and if it comes out clean they are done!

5. Cool the cupcakes in their tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.

6. Enjoy!

The reason why I love red velvet cupcakes so much is because of their rich and deep flavor. They aren't too sweet and they taste the way they look - like red velvet cupcakes!

There are many red velvet cupcake recipes floating around, but the one that I gave to you should really be excellent. It's the cream of the red velvet cupcake recipe crop! I promise as long as you follow the directions properly, and remember what I have taught you, your red velvet cupcakes should come out exactly as you imagine.

You could decorate them with little pink and whit hearts, sprinkles, or anything else your hearth desires.

Good luck with the red velvet cupcake recipe! I hope your red velvet cupcakes come out perfect!
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I have a similar recipe at home. I have to admit to just looking at them at *$ last night, but they didn't look too special to me. I have been hugely disappointed by their baked goods before (read stale) so I would rather not waste all those calories on something that was less than fabulous.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:11 pm

The recipe there is how I remember the Starbucks ones last year. This year they seem to just be with red food colouring.

Marg was anticipating having one for her birthday yesterday, and I was wondering what was so special about them. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:13 pm

kc wrote:I have a similar recipe at home. I have to admit to just looking at them at *$ last night, but they didn't look too special to me. I have been hugely disappointed by their baked goods before (read stale) so I would rather not waste all those calories on something that was less than fabulous.

yeah the vast majority of starbucks baking is gross. The only thing I ever loved was the little pumpkin loaves, and they've been discontinued. :( then there are the polar bear cookies, but those are different. ;)

a lot of their baking comes from the US, which is why it's stale and dry by the time it gets to you (each of those pieces of cake and other stuff came individually wrapped in plastic, in a box... nasty).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 pm

I like their oat fudge bars, or whatever they're called...the closest Starbucks is 35 minutes away, so I don't go much!

(sorry for the hijack, Jen!)

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Did Starbucks change the red velvet cupcakes this year? I seem to remember last year they were chocolate, made to look red through some acid-base chemistry process.

This is why nobody likes eating with chemists. Its like letting Quincy carve your turkey.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
Did Starbucks change the red velvet cupcakes this year? I seem to remember last year they were chocolate, made to look red through some acid-base chemistry process.

This is why nobody likes eating with chemists. Its like letting Quincy carve your turkey.
:twisted:

You know, I learned this from La (see above!) who isn't even a chemist!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Jwolf wrote:

:twisted:

You know, I learned this from La (see above!) who isn't even a chemist!

And who, in fact, FAILED chemistry in college! :P :lol:

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm

Red Velvet cakes hold a special childhood place in my heart and is not connected to Bucks other than the fact that they are conveniently carrying them. My memory of them is from Eatons in Winnipeg..
Sadly the Bucks one is a fraud :shifty: in my humble opinion.
I did finally get my cupcake today (thank you IB &IG) but it just didn't have the rich taste of the real thing.

I have a recipe at home as well - of the original Waldorf Astoria version - which I believe is the originator. Will have to whip it up from scratch with my sadly lacking baking skills. hehe
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:02 pm

The thing that puzzles me from the recipe above (which is similar to the one I made last year) is that it only contains 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder? How is that going to taste at all chocolately? :?

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Marg wrote:Red Velvet cakes hold a special childhood place in my heart and is not connected to Bucks other than the fact that they are conveniently carrying them. My memory of them is from Eatons in Winnipeg..
I did finally get my cupcake today (thank you IB &IG) but it just didn't have the rich taste of the real thing.

I have a recipe at home as well - of the original Waldorf Astoria version - which I believe is the originator. Will have to whip it up from scratch with my sadly lacking baking skills. hehe

Marg - you will have to come back to Winnipeg. Salisbury House has Red Velvet cake, yummy.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Marg wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_velvet_cake
:)

So the magic ingredient is "beets"?
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:12 pm

Marg wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_velvet_cake
:)

the new starbucks red cupcakes are NOT red velvet!!! :)

beets is just used for colour.

the magic ingredient is COCOA! I don't think the new ones have any. or if they do, it's clearly not enough.

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 pm

from the starbucks website:

INGREDIENTS:
SUGAR, BUTTER (MILK), BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, EGGS, WHITE CHOCOLATE FLAVORED COMPOUND (SUGAR, PALM KERNEL AND PALM OIL, WHEY, NONFAT MILK, SOYA LECITHIN, VANILLA), BUTTERMILK, CREAM CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CREAM, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, CAROB BEAN GUM), SAFFLOWER OIL, PALM OIL, COCOA, CORN STARCH, SALT, VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN, VANILLA, BAKING POWDER (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, SODIUM BICARBONATE, CORN STARCH, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), CARMINE, STARCH, RED WINE VINEGAR, EMULSIFIER (PROPYLENE ESTERS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE), XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM.

oh, and 450 calories. :wink:

klc
Jerome Drayton

Postby klc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks! That helps to put them over in the "not worth the risk" category for me. I couldn't find that information on their web-site.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 pm

They lost me at "chocolate flavored compound".

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Marg wrote:Red Velvet cakes hold a special childhood place in my heart and is not connected to Bucks other than the fact that they are conveniently carrying them. My memory of them is from Eatons in Winnipeg..

:( I'm sad that you didn't enjoy it. :(

Send me the recipe - I'll make them for you! :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Irongirl wrote:

I found the recipe here: http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=912

I'm going to try this one instead. (my cocoa is more rich than that you find in the grocery store...so I suspect that even with just a few tablespoons it'll be nice and chocolaty.)
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Irongirl wrote:

Oh I still enjoyed it ... cake is cake.... :P
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

KBO
Ben Johnson

Postby KBO » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:52 pm

My memory of them is from Eatons in Winnipeg..

Mmmmmm, great childhood memory!

I heard Jeannie's is making Red Velvet cake too...but I haven't had the chance to try it.

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 pm

KBO wrote:
My memory of them is from Eatons in Winnipeg..

Mmmmmm, great childhood memory!

I heard Jeannie's is making Red Velvet cake too...but I haven't had the chance to try it.

oooo with a cookie bottom?? :shifty:
You and eme are bad influences... lol. Hey Mario I have to go to the Peg for the weekend for some cake! :lol:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:23 pm

One of my recipes . . . I personally can't eat it because of the beets.

Devil’s Food Cake
Makes 2 8-inch round cakes
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup cocoa powder (not Dutch or alkali processed), plus additional for pans
1 tablespoons baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup dark brown sugar
1 cup filtered water
¼ cup olive oil, plus additional for pans
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups fresh beets, peeled and finely grated

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil two 8-inch round cake pans with olive oil. Dust pans with cocoa powder, tap out any excess, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk sugar into dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together water, olive oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk well to combine. Stir in grated beets.
3. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto a rack (removing pans) and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Fluffy Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
⅓ cup non-hydrogenated margarine
¼ cup soymilk or rice milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Using an electric or hand-held mixer, beat together frosting ingredients for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Use immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Stir briefly before spreading one third of the frosting on top of one of the cakes. Top with second cake and then frost top and sided with remaining frosting.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”